2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Best out of 6
By Charlie on 04/24/06 10:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 6th Subaru dating back to 1981 and this is the best to date. 4 cylinder is fine for my needs. Have 23,000 miles on vehicle and have averaged 24.8 since purchase. Have gotten as high as 30 on a trip. Goes anywhere and handles exceptionally well (except for the OEM tires). Had them replaced at 22k. A great all around vehicle for the money. High ground clearance makes it easy to enter and exit vehicle. Standard model comes with a ton of options that are extra on other cars.

Great Ride
By Jack on 04/06/06 16:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The car handles like a dream. Like ALL other automatics they will shift at a point that is right on the cusp of the power between gears, particularly when not broken in yet. Fortunately this car comes with a manual/auto option on ALL models so shifting is a breeze and you have full control always. The gears immediately shift when commanded to do so. Also to other reviewers that think this car has "turbo lag" guess what it's not a turbo. It's a naturally aspirated horizontally opposed 6 with fuel injection. Again wait for a few oil changes, Subes performance improves immensely as you pass the 30 K mark -- with power and smoothness. A very tight car new.

true Road Commander
By Kevin on 04/05/06 17:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I live in the Lake Tahoe area of California. This car handles the turns and curves with grace and surefootedness like no other 4wd. I've owned 4Runners,Cherokee's etc. The manual shift option makes the transmission respond instantly to your input and I've noticed that after each oil change and then the differential & transmission fluid change the car has broken in beautifully and does not even resemble the car I drove off the lot. Was very tight when new and needed breaking in. Noticed it about 15k miles .The VDC eats the snow and I've passed so many suvs wiped out in the banks I can't even count 'em. The low center of gravity makes this pup tops.

great, but...
By outbou on 03/22/06 11:29 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Basically, I love the car (it's my 2nd one) but I absolutely hate the fact that there is no place for your pocketbook of bag of some sort. We need women to design a car with women and mothers in mind!

uses more gas than advertised
By geo on 03/11/06 15:22 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Generally an OK car except it barely gets over 20 MPG and there is a noticeable boxer engine vibration noticeable through the gas pedal from the opposed cylinders. Fairly rough on tire wear.

love it
By c on 02/14/06 13:24 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I downsized from a Pathfinder that I loved to the 2005 2.5i limited. Very comfortable, agile and just superb in bad weather. Driving in rain is like driving on dry pavement. In 18" of snow it did well except when the drifts exceeded the front hood. All I had to do was back up and try again and it blasted right through.

cruise (out of) control
By fred on 02/07/06 13:23 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had an '03 Forester with cruise control that worked great. Why did they change it? Have they never heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Have had it "worked on" several times including sending the unit to regional office for re-programming and it still "hunts" while going down hill. Very annoying! :-( Is the factory going to recall the '05s and correct it? Am losing my patience! Otherwise, I think it is a very fine vehicle.

Never Again
By Keith on 02/02/06 16:40 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I dislike this Subaru more than any car I have ever owned. I avoid driving this car rather than deal with the car's quirky and dangerous characteristics. Examples: Climbing a hill at highway speeds the car shifts between 4th & 5th gears every 4 seconds on average. The car responds to quick acceleration maneuvers with a 2-3 second delay before accelerating; not a good thing on busy Southern California freeways. The car has only 8K miles. After nine months as a Subaru owner I am ready to visit my Toyota dealer and eat the trade-in costs. I hate this car!

family wagon from hades
By mick maccionagh on 01/25/06 17:04 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Wow. One review I read while I was researching vehicles and trying to decide which to buy in the spring of '05 referred to the '05 XT LTD as the family wagon from Hades in regards to its absolute rocket-like reaction to full gas petal depression. Now I know what he meant. The car is very comfortable, nicely packaged, bolted down very well, nice touch here, classy touch there, safe as can be, reliable etc. But, what it's really about is what happens after the turbo spools up. I really believe, as I’ve read elsewhere on more than one occasion, that the 250 advertised hp is conservative, at the least. It’s a great car and fun as all get out to drive. Buy one. Tomorrow.

Hidden Cost - Replace tires in pairs
By Tired of run around on 01/05/06 13:59 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Per the Service Manager at Dallas Subaru, tires must be replaced in pairs, either the two front or the two rear, at the same time. My 2005 Outback wagon has 25,000 miles on it and pulls so hard to the right, it's hard to keep it on the road. I have one off-brand tire and the dealer requires that I replace it and the other rear tire with matching major brand tires before they will even put the car on the rack to check the alignment. He says that every time one tire goes out, two must be replaced so they will have identical wear. Otherwise, warranty on the car does not apply and the car will not handle properly. I think this is an unreasonable expense and hidden cost.