Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

No car is perfect
By pjellison

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall the car is acceptable. The ride is comfortable and the interior design is pleasing. The right rear tire tread wore out at 20,0000. The dealer said the axle was bent. I replaced all 4 tires, the originals were not good quality. The quality of the ivory cloth seats are poor. Any spill or cleaner leaves a stain. The distinct line with the headlights are distracting. Oncoming cars frequently think I have on high beams. My hands do not grip the non-leather steering wheel (required a steering wheel grip).

Favorite Features

Heated seats and temperature gauge on the less expensive option. Tight handling and comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Good quality cloth seats that will not show stains, change headlights, new colors choices (current colors are dull)

2005 Outback LL Bean
By sailaway3662

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We love this car. I has excellent build quality and the boxer engine is very powerful. The AWD is great in the snow; we take it skiing and it is very sure footed. The wagon is great and we can load just about anything on it with some planning. My only complaint is that it averages 18 MPG town/freeway. If you keep it to 70 MPH or below you can average 24 MPG on the freeway. We live in Southern Cal. and often exceed that. Would definitely recommend it.

Favorite Features

AWD, wagon, quality of build.

Suggested Improvements

Wished the MPG was higher but that is the price for more power.

Buy One!
By catskill lew

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car all around but a bit slow up the long hills. But I consistently get about 33 mpg on the 100 mile ride back from the mountains. Had sounds from front brakes but Subaru helped me replace all the brakes after only 25,000 mi. Terrific safer fun driving in the snow storms-car kept nice and steady, passing the less fortunate cars on side of snow banks.

Favorite Features

Great in bad weather, the computer information and heated glass.

Suggested Improvements

Turn signal sounds are too low. Need better way to open the rear door

Will get another eventually
By lewis sherman

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Terrific car except that after about 25,000 miles I got stuck with total brake jobs because NO DEALERS could diag. noises at low speeds. My mileage - not kidding - is terrific on open roads. Always get no less than 33 mpg on the 100 mile trip from the Catskills!! Love the looks of the Forester but hate to give up the Outback.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is way over the advertised amounts.

Suggested Improvements

The turn signal sounds are too low. No entry to lift gate without the key!

Just disappointed
By Grant

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My first Subaru will be my last. Bought the Outback based on the Subaru reputation for being bullet proof. Far from it. Subaru must have got a bunch of bad bearings. They extended the warranty on the wheel bearings, which I replaced. The real shocker has been the clutch. Had to replace the throw-out bearing at 52k. Dealer told me to replace the flywheel and clutch plate while he was at it, or may end up paying for labor twice. $1500 later the bearing still makes a noise. Never thought I'd be spending $1500 for a clutch on a Subaru with 52K and I don't ride the clutch.

Favorite Features

The turbo rocks, and the car does handle quite well.

Suggested Improvements

Buy some decent bearings.