2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews 6

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
fun to drive; service dept. stinks
By ecwma on 11/28/06 07:03 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This VDC is an amazing car to drive but has had lots of "little" things go wrong with it; also had to replace tires at 30,000 miles - not cheap. AC did not work first several months I had the car; local service could not find anything wrong with it. Seat was broken but was worst after service department "fixed" it. Windshield broke/cracked with one small rock hitting it on way to work. It was out of alignment, local service said no; had warped rotors already. Subaru needs to communicate with service departments. It's been a lot of little things but many of those are service department errors...thinking of trading for a Honda - more reliable and service better.

Good mileage
By rppups on 11/09/06 20:44 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you're looking for an all-around utility car this may be it. Handles great in the snow/ice, rides smooth, lots of storage, good looking, and I average almost 28 mpg with 30,000 miles on the engine. The only thing I find lacking is power, but that's the trade off for the good mileage.

Good car
By Charles on 11/05/06 18:20 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Only improvements could be more interior lighting when the doors are opened at night and more power under the hood. Otherwise, I would say this car is amazing. It functions well, is incredibly safe (I emerged unscratched in a head on collision), and looks great.

Subaru Wagon
By wrh2046 on 10/18/06 08:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very tight, no rattles. It is a dream to drive on long trips.T he one thing I don't like it need to use premium gas. This is my third one- two L.L Bean wagons, and one Forester that my wife drives and she loves it.

'05 Outback XT - Standard
By rfisher on 09/21/06 14:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had a 2004 WRX which was too small for family of 5 with 4 dogs. Needed more space. Got great price at end of year for '05 with rebates and upgraded to Outback XT. I love the extra room and features of this car. It is built much better than the WRX.

Green Bean
By Dave on 08/05/06 21:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I saw the car on the lot and fell in love with the color (Willow Green) for starters. Thought the flared fenders and rugged looks were awesome. I took it for a ride and the seamless power from 0 to 70 was awesome. It does have a few second delay when you step on it so If you are counting on the 250 horses to make up for the close pull out in traffic, think before you put your nose out there. The huge sunroof is a bit chattery when closed and almost impossible to have open while going over 50 from the wind noise. I tried to buy a sunroof deflector from the dealer and the one listed ONLY fits the sedan, not the wagon.

Performance AND Utility
By nhesketh on 07/19/06 13:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I could not decide between a used WRX and an older LL Bean Limited Outback wagon (pre-2005). I am a car person, and love performance, but need the room too. Until this vehicle came along, I was not sure what I was going to do. When I saw this, I was amazed that you could get a turbo AWD wagon, and had to have one. I have been happy with it ever since. It drives wonderfully, and is very comfortable with the leather upholster and heated seats. The stereo is okay, but I am not an audiophile, so it is good enough for me. It would be nice to have an iPod jack though. The acceleration on this car is amazing, and the traction is excellent. I have had Subis for years and love the AWD. Buy one.

wouldn't buy another
By steve on 07/08/06 19:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Lights burn out. Transmission slips.

Fun to drive-Cheap to own.
By Bill Hilow on 07/01/06 13:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2005 Outback XT Limited 5M, 32000 miles - no complaints. The cost of AWD eliminates a few of the creature comforts most cars in this price range have e.g. radio controls on the steering wheel, iPod jack etc. The things that matter most get priority and Subaru needs to be applauded for that. Excellent AWD that is seamless and smooth as a Cadillac, Light vehicle weight, turn signals in the sideviews, fit and finish are unsurpassed and on my Black on Black Outback it is truly flawless. "Jewel like" is how I describe it. Not a cheap car for sure. But it is a statement of quality and independent thinking; performed to a high level. A superbly constructed lightweight rocketship.

Great in the snow
By LMay326 on 06/08/06 05:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great in the snow.