Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

It's no Audi S4, but...
By Jack

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

...that's not a bad thing! Don't tell the Audi guys, but I'm a Subie convert. Prior to the XT I owned an Audi S4 with the biturbo 2.7 V6 and 6 speed transmission, AWD, of course. I've always been a car guy and the S4 is a "car guy" kind of car, but I actually like the Outback XT more. Why? It provides 90% of the driving pleasure of the S4 (100% of the acceleration!) but without the worry over expensive repairs. I am totally thrilled with this car. I bought mine with 32,000 miles on it, one owner, and the car looks, feels, and runs like brand spankin' new. I used to think I was an Audi guy. Turns out I was actually a Subie guy with pretensions. Dropped the pretense and picked up the Subaru.

Favorite Features

Acceleration (despite mild turbo lag), build quality, seats, rear cargo space, lots of useful but never gimmicky features, beautiful finish (Red Garnet), nice interior quality.

Suggested Improvements

Five speed shifter could have shorter throw (...and a 6th gear). Needs more storage accessible from the driver's seat. Armrest is not really an armrest.

Terrible
By Donna

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The first year I owned it - had to get new brakes, and new tires. Headlights burned out twice. Headlights are terrible - almost ran into the back of a tractor hauling a wagon because I was coming down hill and the lights don't shine upwards at all. 2nd year, had to get new Rotors, Brakes and tires (I made the mistake of buying the same Bridgestone tires). Terrible in the snow - Rear end constantly fishtails - even with new tires. Car sways as if the chassis is going to fall off the frame. I am so disappointed. This is my third Subaru, but will not buy one again.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Get better tires, put decent rotors on the car, fix the sway and improve the all wheel drive. Worst car I ever owned and priciest.

Best car for the money
By Dave Schwartz

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned Hondas, Toyotas, and several other foreign and domestic cars. The Subaru is by far the most dependable, best handling and Superior in bad weather to any car I have driven. I have a hard time believing some of the negative reviews I've read on the Internet. Either some people have never driven in the rain or a snow storm or they work for another car company. Do yourself a favor and just ask anyone who owns a Subaru what they think and I'm sure you'll get a very positive reply.

Favorite Features

The sure footed feeling of all wheel drive makes you want to travel in the worst kind of weather!

Suggested Improvements

More rear passenger leg room. However if you're like me I never travel long distances with more than one passenger, so it's not a big deal to me.

Reliable??
By chickentoaster

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The first 4 years car was alright, just don't expect much in the way of gas mileage. Had to replace rear wheel bearings under the special extended warrentee. Car was so loud that I could not hear the people in the back seat at over 25 mph. Have kept all the service intervals. Dealer says the head gasket is shot and needs to be replaced, estimate $2000.00. Only 71,000 mile on the car. I've had cars with 150K+ miles with fewer major problems. Headlights burn out about 2 months. Car has a higher than average cost of ownership, intervals for regular service items seem more frequent than other manufacturers. I don't think I'll be getting another Subaru. Not the quality I expected.

Favorite Features

AWD is great in the snow. heated seats and front windshield defroster are great features.

Suggested Improvements

Head gasket, wheel bearings, better headlight design, better fuel mileage, longer standard warrentee.

Worst Car I Ever Loved
By Pilgrim 54

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

North western PA winters were no match for the Sube. Foot of snow; no problem. Need lots of ground clearance, fine. Need service...good luck. Yes you WILL need service. We bought ours new and sold it after 4 years. Had numorous problems with the cruise control operation. Replaced the timing belt tensioner TWICE! On the way to the dealer when we were trading it in we were having second thoughts till the check engine light came on!!

Favorite Features

Go anywhere ability. Fun to drive. Towing capacity. Good mileage for AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Our experience with service was poor. Reliability was awfull. When the car worked it was great but it wasn't working often enough to be unacceptable. Unless you know the car and the dealer I would not buy one if you want to use it to get to work everyday. You will get to know the bus schedual.