Used 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Mostly good
By Kathy

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is almost as good as I expected. I like everything except the cruise control. Mine won't work and I can't get Subaru to fix it. I've been to the dealership twice and they say to wait until November when they "might" have a solution. I've tried to contact the regional customer service but so far, no one has bothered to call me back. It's been three weeks since the problem was first reported.

Gas economy, outside mirror defrosters, ease of handling, heated seats.

A better prepared, more responsive service team would be nice. It took two trips to the dealership to fix the glove box and remote. If they can't fix the cruise control on a car with less than 2,000 miles on it, I'm a bit worried about repairs down the road.

Best for now
By halbhh

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Since we need to haul our 3 large dogs, we need a wagon or SUV. Of all the ones out there this is probably the most cost efficient while still having such a great look and feel. It's interesting to see today the article where it's more fuel efficient than the Toyota Highlander Hybrid. We get 27.5 in town and 30 on the highway (review said that hybrid did 23). She wanted manual, so that's what we have, and its drawback is the slight jerkiness and heavy clutch, but you learn to ease it and we're getting better at it (after 5000 miles). Overall I don't think there's anything close for this price. It's a truly great car/wagon/suv/what-have-you.

That subtle Subaru, Japanese styling. It's sport car feel and nimbleness under most conditions.

For the manual transmission, Subaru should work to reduce the jerkiness when the clutch is engaged or when using cruise control downhill.

Very good wagon
By Andrew

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fuel mileage varies depending on whether I'm driving (31 mpg) or my wife (24 mpg). No problems after 10 months of ownership. RPM at highway speeds seems high (approx. 3000 rpm at 65). This results in noticeable noise at higher speeds and lower fuel economy. Protenza RE92 tires receive poor ratings by consumers on tirerack.com. Especially for winter conditions. People who live where it snows should consider buying better tires for winter. Save the Protenzas for the summer. Stability control should be offered as an option. Although I feel the 168hp motor is adequate, Subaru should offer a 180-200hp motor in addition to the 168 and 250. Shifter is stiff in cold weather. Great car in general.

Fuel mileage, space, safety, looks, dependability, all wheel drive.

200 hp motor option (something between 168 hp and 250 motor) 2) Subaru needs to offer stability control 3) possibly higher gearing for highway driving. 4) better standard tires. 5) offer a towing package. -- not much else.

Super Value
By hkoestner

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have 3 Subarus in family, two 2005s - the '05 Outback with 5 speed is a wagon, SUV and sports car rolled into one. As with all my Subies, this one has almost 20k on it and no problems; great handling, superb in snow & comfortable. I am in sales and spend a lot of time in the car driving. Living in snowy winters you get the comfort as well as absolutely superior handling in all weather conditions. I trade them every 3 years or at around 40k, always buying Subies. I only consider Subies. Why change to something else when they work so well. Great looks, great handling, great reliability, comfortable and finally great value.

AWD, handling, exterior and interior looks and features, decent mileage, heated windshield, peppie with 5 speed.

none come to mind.

spice
By merle

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Outback. It's one of two we have; the other, a '97, is also in excellent shape and reliable. I feel very safe and secure when driving or a passenger in either Outback. Especially after a long winter!

Heated seat lots of room All wheel drive.

Heated steering wheel would like to be able to open the rear side windows for more fresh ventilation - I have a dog and she travels in the very back.