Used 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Never again, going back to Toyota!
By msshrink

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2.5i Subaru Outback used about two and a half years ago, after totaling my previous car in a nasty rainstorm. The four wheel drive was barely needed overall (milder winters) and my gas mileage plummeted from the mid 30s per gallon (Camry) to more like 20 mpg, sometimes a rare 25 on the highway. Then an annoying clicking sound developed when I turned the wheel and, only two years into the vehicle, both axles were shot. Naturally, they were very expensive because they could not be after-market, only Subaru. Several mechanics told me this is not unusual for Subarus, and after I had to plunk down over $1,000 suggested I head back to Toyota-land.

It does drive nicely, handles well and safety is something you can count on the Outback for. I also love the cargo area for loading groceries, lengthy or bulky purchases from Home Depot, etc. Very easy on the back and holds a LOT!

If the axles going belly up in under 50,000 miles are supposedly "not unusual", take a look at this, please. Also, I really miss having a cassette deck but I doubt they are coming back any time soon.

Perfect choice
By John

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I decided to trade in my gas guzzling truck for a smaller car with better gas milage. This was a great choice. The AWD handling is new to me and if I don't be careful it WILL get me in trouble. Base model engine has little pick up but runs great once rolling, but I expected this and accept it. It has climbed some fairly mean off road trails and only had a slight overheat, with no problems later. I love my "new" 'Ru!

AWD! Gauge cluster with temp and mileage, heated seats, flat fold down rear seats, rear 12 volt, easy owner oil changes, overall look.

Headlamps that don't burn out all the time.

Great Value for your Money
By 23simply

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We were looking for an AWD or a 4WD, however, gas mileage and the NHTSA crash test rating were two big factors for us. We found this perfect and value laden family AWD that gives you the ground clearance and the traction of an SUV, the comfort of a long wheelbase car and the price of a 4 door sedan. Amazing! We love it, perfect for the family on the go, perfect for the New England Region. Oh the NHTSA rating for front and side crash test? 5/5... sweet!

Great ride, good headroom and legroom, side airbags and overhead airbags standard, AWD with ABS and A/T sport mode, heated side view mirrors and DRL.

Speed sensing door locks, 5 A/T, traction control for the standard models, full auto driver's side power window (single touch for opening but not for closing).

wouldn't buy another
By steve

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Lights burn out. Transmission slips.

Good highway mpg.

Better headlights, transmission, drop the gated shifter, needs better tires. Line in jack for stereo.

Best out of 6
By Charlie

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 6th Subaru dating back to 1981 and this is the best to date. 4 cylinder is fine for my needs. Have 23,000 miles on vehicle and have averaged 24.8 since purchase. Have gotten as high as 30 on a trip. Goes anywhere and handles exceptionally well (except for the OEM tires). Had them replaced at 22k. A great all around vehicle for the money. High ground clearance makes it easy to enter and exit vehicle. Standard model comes with a ton of options that are extra on other cars.

Heated seats and mirrors. Front and rear defrost/de-icer. AWD traction and feel of safety in any weather condition.

Telescoping steering wheel. A little softer seats. Better OEM tires. Weather band radio.