2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
A lot of value for the money
By Buckthorn on 08/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We took this car off-road (St. Elmo, Tin Cup, Colorado) where you mostly saw only Jeeps. Performed like a dream. Also, fun to drive around town. This the sixth Subaru we have owned and we like the new interior and better transmission than our 98 Outback. For the money, you get excellent value.

A Big Step Up for Subie
By Jack Hinks on 08/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Needed a second 4WD wagon – I drive an A4 Avant 1.8T – and this was the only good choice below $30K. Much better than last year's. Roomy interior with sturdy upholstery, far nicer back end, decent power, killer turning radius. It's no Audi – I think it's a little floaty at highway speeds, and nobody does interiors like Ingolstadt – but it's darned fine for the dough and it feels plenty secure all the same. Can't wait for winter...

3,0R VDC is great!
By KarlB on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've been super impressed with the Outback, it has fantastic build quality and drives like a sports car, yet can go offroad most places a large SUV can. Power is great with the 3.0R being one of the most powerful 3.0liter engines in a production car in the world. The all wheel drive system works amazingly well, there is never even the slightest hesitation, no delay engaging as in other cars without permanent AWD.

Why Buy A SUV, When U Can Own an Outback
By MKS on 08/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I know why this is Car of Year in Japan. This thing is awesome. FAST, Lexus quality interior, virtually noise free. This is my second Subaru, the first was a 2002 WRX. I sold the WRX to get more room, and does this car have room. The trunk space is huge in comparison to other midsize wagons. The power is more than adequate for a car this size. I am very happy that I bought this car. But after watching Lance win the Tour De France with a Subaru following him, really solidified my choice. LIVESTRONG!

This car is a great value
By bh123 on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

It makes the commute to work actually fun! Great performance and comfort.

Good to go
By Osman C Kurtulus on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Drives like an Audi with 2/3 of the price.

It Scoots!
By richgimmel on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My previous car was a Cadillac STS... but this Outback XT is at least as good a performer, and a much better buy. It's nimble, very quick and responsive with a surprisingly solid feel. Both my kids are drivers, and they thought I had lost it big-time when I told them I was replacing the Caddy with a Subaru. But after driving the new wheels, they're believers!

My Latest Outback (It's my Fourth!)
By BuzzCT on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had heard something great was coming with the 2005, and I heard right! I bought the first one the dealership got, and I love it! I can't believe how much better this model rides and drives than my previous, 2001, model. The turning radius is great, and the sports mode automatic is terrific! I had thought I'd buy a 6-cylinder, but the $2 plus gas prices scared me; this new transmission gives me all the power I need. The interior is a big improvement; it's spacious and airy, and very comfortable. All in all, it's my favorite Subaru ever - and this one is my seventh!

Great Car!
By Jared Davison on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This Subaru is a very sporty car. This car has a quiter ride then a BMW 3 series. This car handles better then my Toyota Camry. This car is very coimportable

Stylish & practical value wagon
By nigel1000 on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Exterior - improved over the '04 model, with the silver/grey and gold/grey combinations particularly attractive. More conservative than the Mazda 6 but more interesting than the equivalent Audi & VW wagons Interior - one of the most attractive available for less than 25K, with very nice materials and workmanship, and an elegant and simple dash; std 8-way heated power seat Performance - very stable and quiet on the freeway, even at speed over poor surfaces; nice & precise cornering with very little lean or bounce; base engine power adequate, which SprotShift auto improves somewhat Saftey - outstanding, with good manoueverability, excellent visibility and