Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 264 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

My new XT Limited
By pthal

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car in 5/'05 using the 1,000 dealer incentive for a total of $28,600 (traded in a BMW 328i). All around it has great power but drives a little more like a SUV than I thought it would--sits higher than the previous model. Handling can't compare to a BMW but the acceleration is great. Love my bike rack and I'm impressed by the quality of the interior. The more aggressive stance of the car is what appealed to me vs. previous version.

Turbo, moon roof, nice ride over bumps, quality of the interior, good AC.

Wish handling was a little crisper. My right leg gets tired when I drive--most likely because the front seat could be a little longer and I feel like I need to keep my leg tensed all the time (drives me crazy). Radio is just adequate--wish I could play MP3 or have a direct link to an iPod.

There is no No true competion for XT !
By sweet_subie

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

It is a sports car/wagon/suv/sedan/crossover/convertible (open that moonroof, you will know). 5 Star crash test rating, best AWD, 250hp/torque, drives like sedan, shorter/lighter than Honda Accord/Camry/A6, smaller turning radius (34 inches) than most sport sedans, panoramic moonroof, 8.7 inches of ground clearance (more than 40 SUVs), electro gauges, Subaru reliability, top notch build quality, Subaru-backed generous extended warranty. Can buy $3-5k below MSRP. There is NOTHING LIKE THIS!

Sportshift, moonroof, 8.7 inches ground clearance, perfect height for cargo loading, electro gauges, changing gears from steering wheel.

Map lights need to come in when door opened, storage compartments not usable, too low center console, interior lighting not bright, NAV, tire pressure monitoring, etc.

Nice to drive
By Dave

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Driving is fun again; while I liked this Limited in the show room it has been a delight to drive. In the snow it was a dream, smooth and very much in control. The power ports are well placed. One surprise that was unexpected is that you can leave an interior drivers spot light on by accident and find the battery dead in the morning. No auto shut off as all of my past cars. I would love to say I have all the power I need with the 4 but not always without really downshifting to get things moving. I would have picked the 6 or turbo but the higher priced gas is needed. Rear door too narrow at times. The family loves it and it never gets to rest in the driveway 15K in 6 months.

Dual climate control works well. Fit and finish all around is well done. BMW it's not but the over all look and feel reminds me of my 528e in the cabin.

Open up the rear cargo area a bit; too narrow at the door so I could get what would fit easily inside. Power monitor for the front seat spot lights so they can't drain the battery. Rear seat needs just a little more room where you place your feet.

Best Subaru I've owned
By John

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 8th Subaru and I think it's the best. The fit, finish, and power of this 2.5XT Limited is far superior to any previous Subaru I've owned. Some minor complaints like no upfront interior lighting and relatively poor gas mileage and the requirement of premium fuel do not negate the pure "fun to drive" quality of this car. There are some annoying whistles that start at around 40mph but the removal of the cross bars on the roof might stop that problem. I bought the red garnet pearl with the taupe interior and manual transmission. I'm surprised at how many people say what a handsome car it is and some young boys told me I've got a "dope" car. Thats' a good thing I hope.

I'm glad I picked the red garnet pearl, very handsome color. The seats are very supportive and comfortable. The new headlights are better than older models. What can I say about the engine, it moves! The entire car is a vast but subtle improvement over previous Subarus. Subarus evolve.

Front interior lighting. VDC should be available as an option. Better sound system should also be an option. Braking could be better. Make it slightly longer and wider for better seating comfort and leg room.

smooth yet tough
By crusin' texas

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

A perfect vehicle for almost any occasion. Rush hour, around town, highway or back country roads. It handles superbly and responsive. If folks are aware of the notoriously short Texas Highway on-ramps then you'd appreciate this car's power. Can go from a mere coasting at 20 mph to 70 in no time. Able to move down and around country roads without fishtailing all over the road. Around town, the maneuverability and quickness is great. Only had one problem -- stereo and climate control unit failure. But the dealer serviced the car quickly and provided a loaner until car was fixed.

H6, AWD, fit and finish. Exterior and interior design and quality. Low tire pressure indicator. Handling and control. Best all-around vehicle I've bought for most situations. Except for long drives or vacations with family it is a bit on the tight side.

Delete the sunroof. Not all folks care for one. Especially us southerners. MP3, less finicky climate control. More leg room in front and back. Include cargo nets as standard equipment. Paint tends to scratch and chip easy. Factory deep-tinted windows. Improve gas mileage.