Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Nice to drive
By Dave

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Driving is fun again; while I liked this Limited in the show room it has been a delight to drive. In the snow it was a dream, smooth and very much in control. The power ports are well placed. One surprise that was unexpected is that you can leave an interior drivers spot light on by accident and find the battery dead in the morning. No auto shut off as all of my past cars. I would love to say I have all the power I need with the 4 but not always without really downshifting to get things moving. I would have picked the 6 or turbo but the higher priced gas is needed. Rear door too narrow at times. The family loves it and it never gets to rest in the driveway 15K in 6 months.

Dual climate control works well. Fit and finish all around is well done. BMW it's not but the over all look and feel reminds me of my 528e in the cabin.

Open up the rear cargo area a bit; too narrow at the door so I could get what would fit easily inside. Power monitor for the front seat spot lights so they can't drain the battery. Rear seat needs just a little more room where you place your feet.

Best Subaru I've owned
By John

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 8th Subaru and I think it's the best. The fit, finish, and power of this 2.5XT Limited is far superior to any previous Subaru I've owned. Some minor complaints like no upfront interior lighting and relatively poor gas mileage and the requirement of premium fuel do not negate the pure "fun to drive" quality of this car. There are some annoying whistles that start at around 40mph but the removal of the cross bars on the roof might stop that problem. I bought the red garnet pearl with the taupe interior and manual transmission. I'm surprised at how many people say what a handsome car it is and some young boys told me I've got a "dope" car. Thats' a good thing I hope.

I'm glad I picked the red garnet pearl, very handsome color. The seats are very supportive and comfortable. The new headlights are better than older models. What can I say about the engine, it moves! The entire car is a vast but subtle improvement over previous Subarus. Subarus evolve.

Front interior lighting. VDC should be available as an option. Better sound system should also be an option. Braking could be better. Make it slightly longer and wider for better seating comfort and leg room.

smooth yet tough
By crusin' texas

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

A perfect vehicle for almost any occasion. Rush hour, around town, highway or back country roads. It handles superbly and responsive. If folks are aware of the notoriously short Texas Highway on-ramps then you'd appreciate this car's power. Can go from a mere coasting at 20 mph to 70 in no time. Able to move down and around country roads without fishtailing all over the road. Around town, the maneuverability and quickness is great. Only had one problem -- stereo and climate control unit failure. But the dealer serviced the car quickly and provided a loaner until car was fixed.

H6, AWD, fit and finish. Exterior and interior design and quality. Low tire pressure indicator. Handling and control. Best all-around vehicle I've bought for most situations. Except for long drives or vacations with family it is a bit on the tight side.

Delete the sunroof. Not all folks care for one. Especially us southerners. MP3, less finicky climate control. More leg room in front and back. Include cargo nets as standard equipment. Paint tends to scratch and chip easy. Factory deep-tinted windows. Improve gas mileage.

Quality Cars
By Jody

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is an amazing car. I have driven BMW's, Land Rovers, and some other top line vehicles. Standard features of the Subaru are options on cars like BMW's taking the sticker price well into the high 30's and 40's. The Subaru is an amazing quality car, with unique features. In addition, it is put together in America. I am hooked!

Performance and style. The car is like a jet off a runway.

Make the mp3 a standard feature as well as tinted windows. In addition, a subwoofer and 8 speakers would give the sound system more kick. A system similar to the limited produced in 2001 with a set of tweeters in the cargo area.

Review of '05 Outback Limited
By Brian Lynch

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Was very happy with my '01 Outback which I put 155,000 miles on before trading in with a value of $5,000. Purchased a '05 Limited that has a much upgraded interior, better ergonomics, better sight lines, more power (better torque curve even with 2.5 base engine) and better fuel economy. Great value and an excellent alternative to an SUV (even though this model now falls into this class, it's a car and handles like one thankfully).

Haulability.

More power for base engine. Offer a hybrid version or diesel.