2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Refined excellence exceeds expectations
By Katway on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Outback 3.0R VDC is an absolutely terrific crossover. It handles like a BMW, takes rough roads like a Land Rover, and accelerates like a Volvo V70R. In my brief ownership, this vehicle has exceeded all expectations. Subaru is clearly making a forward push toward the luxury cars and the 3.0R VDC certainly delivers. I own a Volvo V70R that I like very much, but the Subaru is by far my favorite to drive. It's fun to drive in the city, on the highways, and in the country side. I'm a very pleased owner and look forward to years of enjoyment in this vehicle.

This is a Subaru???
By NateThomas on 09/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Two years ago I almost bought a WRX. Last year I almost bought a Forester XT. I am glad I waited for the Outback XT. This car is so superior to the '99 Outback I had before. Looking at the interior I would think it was a German car. The performance is unreal and the reliability is excellent. The tires are a weak point and they will be replaced with Falken 512's soon. For the price, this is the best car available. I love that added ground clearance. It will definately come in handy during New England winters and during camping trips in the White Mountains.

Snow Buggy
By some12talk2 on 09/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my 1st subie and with the inside out changes for this year gave me enough reason to buy one. After driving the car for a month now, I find this to be the ideal car for the day tripper or weekend warrior. Very fun to drive and pass SUVs, especially on windy roads. It's not affect by high winds and has little body roll on sharp turns. Very nimble handling, feels like you're driving a small car. The turbo lag is minimal even at high altitudes. The ground clearance allowed me to take it on the backroads. Can't wait for the snow season to test it out. Has a very stylish interior/exterior. Suites me perfectly!!!

what fun
By Sterie on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This wagon is a stealth sports car.Excellent performance, fun to drive, great sun roof. Roof Rack is stronger we carry double kayak and tandom bike on top. Can also carry mountain bike inside with out disassembly. Wife had a hard time accepting payment for an ugly station wagon, but has since changed her mind and always wants to drive. Good cd player, great heated seats and individual heat controls.

Fun to Drive
By bkluger on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just completed a 1200 mile roundtrip that involved interstate highway, two- lane road, and off-road driving. Thoroughly impressed by the overall performance and the highway mileage of better than 25 MPG. After looking and test driving a Jeep Gran Cherokee, Honda Pilot, and an Acura MDX. We decided on the Outback LL Bean, because it represented the best value for our dollar, plus it's fun to drive!

Great Car with all the room
By Stunt50000 on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car as an alternative to a large SUV, and i have never been happier. This car is truly an excellent automobile and I highly reccomend it. I don't have the turbo engine, but its not really necessary, although it would be at times nice to have. I honestly think that this car runs far better than the merceded E class (at least its more reliable, i have had the mercedes in the dealership 6 times this year - subaru 0).

The best yet
By busycee on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 5th Subaru Wagon I have had since 1987 and it is definitely the best. It has great acceleration!

new to me subaru 1st time subaru owner
By EDH on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I test drove 38 same type cars befor choosing the outback , I was comparing value , safety , style , fuel eccon. fun to drive , visability , history , and dealerships for service and the outback won , I'm having fun , only wish I would have gone for the Limited , the stero needs help in the base model , missing leather and the sunroof , next time round !

Sexy Foul Weather Gear
By Daniel M. in MD on 09/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car! I loaded it up with two bicycles, fishing gear,a dog and my wife and spent a wonderful vacation in the New River Valley in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountain range. Great power, surprising fuel economy, nice ergonomics and fun to drive. Engineered for safety at a price you can afford. Five star front and side impact ratings do not hurt.

Our ninth Subaru. We take them to 175000
By Gorbes on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is a barrel load of fun to drive. It is a real "sleeper"and this one has surprised many a kid in his lowered Honda with subwoofers. It has excellent grip on the Nova Scotia dirt roads we drive; the brakes are truly astounding and have kept us on two occasions from making venison with the bumpers. It has only one problem, in common with it's fellow turbo Subies - turbo lag. Saab relegated it to the automotive history pile a few years ago.