Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

wouldn't buy another
By steve

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Lights burn out. Transmission slips.

Favorite Features

Good highway mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Better headlights, transmission, drop the gated shifter, needs better tires. Line in jack for stereo.

Terrible
By Donna

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The first year I owned it - had to get new brakes, and new tires. Headlights burned out twice. Headlights are terrible - almost ran into the back of a tractor hauling a wagon because I was coming down hill and the lights don't shine upwards at all. 2nd year, had to get new Rotors, Brakes and tires (I made the mistake of buying the same Bridgestone tires). Terrible in the snow - Rear end constantly fishtails - even with new tires. Car sways as if the chassis is going to fall off the frame. I am so disappointed. This is my third Subaru, but will not buy one again.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Get better tires, put decent rotors on the car, fix the sway and improve the all wheel drive. Worst car I ever owned and priciest.

Liked '97 much better
By Kiko

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very disappointed with the fuel economy - 16mpg in winter, 19 in summer. Climate controls are confusing, impossible to get fresh, cool air into cabin w/o A/C. Continue to have issues with noise and vibration in front drivetrain. Dealer has not been able to correct after vehicle being in shop over two weeks. Should have stuck with the old reliable.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Better designed climate controls and clearer instructions to use them.

The most boring car in known universe
By andysomogyi

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I detest this car. Slow, gutless, handles like a barge and the gas milage is pitiful. Only reason I bought this pile of junk is that friend of mine wanted to get rid of it, and it was cheap. It has one of the worst transmissions I've ever driven, now I hate automatics, but this one is particularly bad. The gear ratios is bizarre, shifts are slow and sloppy, and 4'th is way too low. This is one of the worst handling cars I've ever driven, body roll is about as bad as a mid 70's Buick. Engine is truly gutless, and whats worse is given how pathetically slow this car is, the gas milage is even worse. I avg 15 city, and even with the most careful driving, best I can get is about 25 highway

Favorite Features

good in snow

Suggested Improvements

Better milage, more power, better handling, better gearbox, less ugly, better seats, less cheap interior.

Bad Catalytic converter $$
By fino

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned many Subaru's and really loved them all except for this problem. Catalytic converter is bad and estimated replacement is $2,000 to $3,000. I have spoken to some Subaru and non Subaru mechanics and all have said this is a common problem. I am not getting any satisfaction from Subaru USA and this has turned a loyal customer into a doubter. They tried a computer fix that did not work. They blame problem on hills and high speeds. The car also had bad rear bearing that were replaced as a recall.