Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 263 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Midsized Rocket with lots of room
By cberry211

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Outback and what a difference. This is a classy car inside and out and the real surprise is when you step on the gas. Turbos do take a second to spool up but then watch out. It's easy for this car to get away from you. Nice fit and finish. Stereo is great. Some wind noise that seems to go with the territory (my old one was terrible). All in all a good deal compared to BMWs costing thousands more.

Turbo engine, six CD changer, huge sunroof, classy leather interior.

Work on the wind noise at the front side windows by the mirror.

Great Fun
By MWiener2

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my XT. Handles itself well off-road as well. Highway driving at 60mph will get you almost 28 mpg. The stock RE92A tires are ok in the summer, but really poor in snow and wet.

Turbo zoom, AWD prowess.

Change stock tires.

Some improvements, some problems
By sb_sweetie

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my first Outback ('95) for 10 years before replacing it with the updated 2005. I love the look and some features of the new version, but am annoyed by others. The car handles well and the transmission is great. It drives much like the '95, but feels much more solid and safer. What annoys me is the cabin; it seems to have shrunk a few critical inches in all directions. The fit is tight for me and my 6'2" husband. I never felt this way in the '95. Also, the rear-view mirror is set too low (I'm 5'7") and obscures my view through the front. Maybe I'll get used to this, but for now, it annoys me (I've only had the car for a week). I guess I'm somewhat disappointed in the '05.

Leather, panoramic moonroof, standard side-curtain airbags, exterior styling.

Interior is TOO cramped. Not suitable for four adults (or even a tall driver). Raise the rear-view mirror. Memory on the power-driver seat. Telescoping steering wheel. Turn-off feature for the seatbelt alert. LATCH in the rear- center seat position.

Still love it, but...
By drobine

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I reviewed this in October 2004 soon after buying it. After seven months, 11,000 miles a cross country (MI to AZ) move and several light off road expeditions, I still stand by my review of it, and would buy another. One caveat, though. We had a blow out on the left front tire leaving it unrepairable. Due to the wear on the tire being greater than 3/32" (4/32" on the front and 2/32" on the rear), Subaru required the tire store to replace all four tires to prevent damage to the transmission. That was quite a shock! It still doesn't strike me as reasonable that a transmission can't accommodate a 4/32" difference in the front tires. Just beware.

This car handles great, is quick, very quick when my wife isn't with me! It's comfortable, well-built, and goes off road anywhere a stock SUV will, i.e. most Forest Service roads.

C'mon Subaru! What's up with the tranny? 3/32" wear is all it can tolerate? You've got to do better than that! Also, the audio controls on the steering wheel should scan through the presets when a preset is selected, and tune when one is not. It only tunes the radio up and down. Minor issue.

My new XT Limited
By pthal

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car in 5/'05 using the 1,000 dealer incentive for a total of $28,600 (traded in a BMW 328i). All around it has great power but drives a little more like a SUV than I thought it would--sits higher than the previous model. Handling can't compare to a BMW but the acceleration is great. Love my bike rack and I'm impressed by the quality of the interior. The more aggressive stance of the car is what appealed to me vs. previous version.

Turbo, moon roof, nice ride over bumps, quality of the interior, good AC.

Wish handling was a little crisper. My right leg gets tired when I drive--most likely because the front seat could be a little longer and I feel like I need to keep my leg tensed all the time (drives me crazy). Radio is just adequate--wish I could play MP3 or have a direct link to an iPod.