Used 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Still love it, but...
By drobine

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I reviewed this in October 2004 soon after buying it. After seven months, 11,000 miles a cross country (MI to AZ) move and several light off road expeditions, I still stand by my review of it, and would buy another. One caveat, though. We had a blow out on the left front tire leaving it unrepairable. Due to the wear on the tire being greater than 3/32" (4/32" on the front and 2/32" on the rear), Subaru required the tire store to replace all four tires to prevent damage to the transmission. That was quite a shock! It still doesn't strike me as reasonable that a transmission can't accommodate a 4/32" difference in the front tires. Just beware.

Favorite Features

This car handles great, is quick, very quick when my wife isn't with me! It's comfortable, well-built, and goes off road anywhere a stock SUV will, i.e. most Forest Service roads.

Suggested Improvements

C'mon Subaru! What's up with the tranny? 3/32" wear is all it can tolerate? You've got to do better than that! Also, the audio controls on the steering wheel should scan through the presets when a preset is selected, and tune when one is not. It only tunes the radio up and down. Minor issue.

My new XT Limited
By pthal

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car in 5/'05 using the 1,000 dealer incentive for a total of $28,600 (traded in a BMW 328i). All around it has great power but drives a little more like a SUV than I thought it would--sits higher than the previous model. Handling can't compare to a BMW but the acceleration is great. Love my bike rack and I'm impressed by the quality of the interior. The more aggressive stance of the car is what appealed to me vs. previous version.

Favorite Features

Turbo, moon roof, nice ride over bumps, quality of the interior, good AC.

Suggested Improvements

Wish handling was a little crisper. My right leg gets tired when I drive--most likely because the front seat could be a little longer and I feel like I need to keep my leg tensed all the time (drives me crazy). Radio is just adequate--wish I could play MP3 or have a direct link to an iPod.

There is no No true competion for XT !
By sweet_subie

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

It is a sports car/wagon/suv/sedan/crossover/convertible (open that moonroof, you will know). 5 Star crash test rating, best AWD, 250hp/torque, drives like sedan, shorter/lighter than Honda Accord/Camry/A6, smaller turning radius (34 inches) than most sport sedans, panoramic moonroof, 8.7 inches of ground clearance (more than 40 SUVs), electro gauges, Subaru reliability, top notch build quality, Subaru-backed generous extended warranty. Can buy $3-5k below MSRP. There is NOTHING LIKE THIS!

Favorite Features

Sportshift, moonroof, 8.7 inches ground clearance, perfect height for cargo loading, electro gauges, changing gears from steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Map lights need to come in when door opened, storage compartments not usable, too low center console, interior lighting not bright, NAV, tire pressure monitoring, etc.

Nice to drive
By Dave

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Driving is fun again; while I liked this Limited in the show room it has been a delight to drive. In the snow it was a dream, smooth and very much in control. The power ports are well placed. One surprise that was unexpected is that you can leave an interior drivers spot light on by accident and find the battery dead in the morning. No auto shut off as all of my past cars. I would love to say I have all the power I need with the 4 but not always without really downshifting to get things moving. I would have picked the 6 or turbo but the higher priced gas is needed. Rear door too narrow at times. The family loves it and it never gets to rest in the driveway 15K in 6 months.

Favorite Features

Dual climate control works well. Fit and finish all around is well done. BMW it's not but the over all look and feel reminds me of my 528e in the cabin.

Suggested Improvements

Open up the rear cargo area a bit; too narrow at the door so I could get what would fit easily inside. Power monitor for the front seat spot lights so they can't drain the battery. Rear seat needs just a little more room where you place your feet.

Best Subaru I've owned
By John

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 8th Subaru and I think it's the best. The fit, finish, and power of this 2.5XT Limited is far superior to any previous Subaru I've owned. Some minor complaints like no upfront interior lighting and relatively poor gas mileage and the requirement of premium fuel do not negate the pure "fun to drive" quality of this car. There are some annoying whistles that start at around 40mph but the removal of the cross bars on the roof might stop that problem. I bought the red garnet pearl with the taupe interior and manual transmission. I'm surprised at how many people say what a handsome car it is and some young boys told me I've got a "dope" car. Thats' a good thing I hope.

Favorite Features

I'm glad I picked the red garnet pearl, very handsome color. The seats are very supportive and comfortable. The new headlights are better than older models. What can I say about the engine, it moves! The entire car is a vast but subtle improvement over previous Subarus. Subarus evolve.

Suggested Improvements

Front interior lighting. VDC should be available as an option. Better sound system should also be an option. Braking could be better. Make it slightly longer and wider for better seating comfort and leg room.