Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

big bang for the buck
By jack C.

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My new Outback Ltd. is extremely comfortable, with outstanding fit and finish. I chose the non turbo version although I was tempted by the power of the turbo; however with the mileage I put on a car I can save about $750 per year with the non turbo. Car is very versatile; will handle people, dogs and equipment and living in Florida it gives me a feeling of security knowing I have all wheel drive for those torrential downpours. This is my fifth Subie, but first Outback and this one is the best!

Favorite Features

Versatility, safety, AWD, fuel economy. I'm getting 27-30mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.

Subaru Outback in Aussie Outback country
By AW

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent design and a major improvement on the previous model. Solidly put together with a great deal of focus in reducing NVH on the ride. My Outback has the Premium package as available in Aussie, which includes leather interior, double moon roof, and the self leveling rear suspension. Better if there was a possibility to adjust the passenger seat for height.Too low at the moment. The headlamps needed to be beefed up, and I had to replace the original bulbs with the Subaru upgrade kit. It should have been upgraded at manufacturer, and not after buying the car. The steering had developed some clonking sound when going from lock to lock in parking. Requires a warranty repair.

Favorite Features

Subaru frameless windows, symmetrical 4 wheel drive, flat 4 engine sound, general build quality and overall finish.

Suggested Improvements

Add a height adjustable passenger seat, make the auto gear change smoother and more responsive when moving off from a halt, add a interior light in the inside front in cars with the moon roof, fix front wheel arch mud flaps as standard - not rear only, and upgrade the headlamps.

WHERE'S THE TORQUE?
By ROSALIE

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Truly a great car except that there is hesitation and lack of torque. I love the styling, sound system, steering, interior (except rear leg room).

Favorite Features

Sound system, handling, quietness, control and great paint job.

Suggested Improvements

Some how the torque curve should be changed to create more torque at a lower rpm, and hesitation, like turbo lag needs to be addressed.

gas mileage
By jim

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love it, but its gas mileage is a joke. My last car a 2000 6 cylinder GMC Jimmy. Got ~19mpg and I am averaging less than 18 with the 6 cylinder Outback. I guess I have to go get gas even more often. Its power and handling for a wagon are excellent. Driving in the snow is a blast.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, all wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank and a new design for the remote...every time you take it out of your pocket the doors lock or unlock. I hope they have fixed this already.

Midsized Rocket with lots of room
By cberry211

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Outback and what a difference. This is a classy car inside and out and the real surprise is when you step on the gas. Turbos do take a second to spool up but then watch out. It's easy for this car to get away from you. Nice fit and finish. Stereo is great. Some wind noise that seems to go with the territory (my old one was terrible). All in all a good deal compared to BMWs costing thousands more.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine, six CD changer, huge sunroof, classy leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

Work on the wind noise at the front side windows by the mirror.