Used 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Buy One!
By catskill lew

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car all around but a bit slow up the long hills. But I consistently get about 33 mpg on the 100 mile ride back from the mountains. Had sounds from front brakes but Subaru helped me replace all the brakes after only 25,000 mi. Terrific safer fun driving in the snow storms-car kept nice and steady, passing the less fortunate cars on side of snow banks.

Great in bad weather, the computer information and heated glass.

Turn signal sounds are too low. Need better way to open the rear door

Will get another eventually
By lewis sherman

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Terrific car except that after about 25,000 miles I got stuck with total brake jobs because NO DEALERS could diag. noises at low speeds. My mileage - not kidding - is terrific on open roads. Always get no less than 33 mpg on the 100 mile trip from the Catskills!! Love the looks of the Forester but hate to give up the Outback.

The gas mileage is way over the advertised amounts.

The turn signal sounds are too low. No entry to lift gate without the key!

AWD is Overrated.
By Alex

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Really liked it at first, but after two years, I'm happy to be getting rid of it. I bought it for the cargo space and AWD. Lot's of space, very nice driving position, and comfortable front seats. However, it absolutely stinks in the snow (so much for AWD - had to buy snow tires anyway), the back seat is cramped for a car this big, it is SO underpowered, and it eats gas. Also, some interior elements are really shoddy and scratch easily (what is with the cargo cover?), and very large bumper overhang makes it almost impossible to parallel park. Lastly, after 30k miles, distinctive burning rubber smell started coming through the heat vents. Dealer could never figure out what was wrong.

Heated seats, mirrors, and windshield wipers. Nice looking car inside and out.

AWD is a gimmick. Get a FWD car and buy some snow tires. You'll save fuel and power.

Never again, going back to Toyota!
By msshrink

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2.5i Subaru Outback used about two and a half years ago, after totaling my previous car in a nasty rainstorm. The four wheel drive was barely needed overall (milder winters) and my gas mileage plummeted from the mid 30s per gallon (Camry) to more like 20 mpg, sometimes a rare 25 on the highway. Then an annoying clicking sound developed when I turned the wheel and, only two years into the vehicle, both axles were shot. Naturally, they were very expensive because they could not be after-market, only Subaru. Several mechanics told me this is not unusual for Subarus, and after I had to plunk down over $1,000 suggested I head back to Toyota-land.

It does drive nicely, handles well and safety is something you can count on the Outback for. I also love the cargo area for loading groceries, lengthy or bulky purchases from Home Depot, etc. Very easy on the back and holds a LOT!

If the axles going belly up in under 50,000 miles are supposedly "not unusual", take a look at this, please. Also, I really miss having a cassette deck but I doubt they are coming back any time soon.

Perfect choice
By John

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I decided to trade in my gas guzzling truck for a smaller car with better gas milage. This was a great choice. The AWD handling is new to me and if I don't be careful it WILL get me in trouble. Base model engine has little pick up but runs great once rolling, but I expected this and accept it. It has climbed some fairly mean off road trails and only had a slight overheat, with no problems later. I love my "new" 'Ru!

AWD! Gauge cluster with temp and mileage, heated seats, flat fold down rear seats, rear 12 volt, easy owner oil changes, overall look.

Headlamps that don't burn out all the time.