2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Value for your Money
By 23simply

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We were looking for an AWD or a 4WD, however, gas mileage and the NHTSA crash test rating were two big factors for us. We found this perfect and value laden family AWD that gives you the ground clearance and the traction of an SUV, the comfort of a long wheelbase car and the price of a 4 door sedan. Amazing! We love it, perfect for the family on the go, perfect for the New England Region. Oh the NHTSA rating for front and side crash test? 5/5... sweet!

Favorite Features

Great ride, good headroom and legroom, side airbags and overhead airbags standard, AWD with ABS and A/T sport mode, heated side view mirrors and DRL.

Suggested Improvements

Speed sensing door locks, 5 A/T, traction control for the standard models, full auto driver's side power window (single touch for opening but not for closing).

wouldn't buy another
By steve

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Lights burn out. Transmission slips.

Favorite Features

Good highway mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Better headlights, transmission, drop the gated shifter, needs better tires. Line in jack for stereo.

Best out of 6
By Charlie

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 6th Subaru dating back to 1981 and this is the best to date. 4 cylinder is fine for my needs. Have 23,000 miles on vehicle and have averaged 24.8 since purchase. Have gotten as high as 30 on a trip. Goes anywhere and handles exceptionally well (except for the OEM tires). Had them replaced at 22k. A great all around vehicle for the money. High ground clearance makes it easy to enter and exit vehicle. Standard model comes with a ton of options that are extra on other cars.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and mirrors. Front and rear defrost/de-icer. AWD traction and feel of safety in any weather condition.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping steering wheel. A little softer seats. Better OEM tires. Weather band radio.

Good, but could be better
By Jerry Levy

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent driving experience, a good combination of handling and luxury ride. Fun on two lane mountain highways, dirt roads, and freeways. Dealer very helpful when I needed unscheduled maintenance--gave me a new, free car for two weeks.

Favorite Features

Real nice freeway cruiser as well as back road handling. Dash is very easy to read and modern looking. Exterior styling is both rugged and luxurious. Lots of storage pockets. Great travel car for two.

Suggested Improvements

Very poor back seat room, much worse than my 99 Outback. No roof runners under luggage rack to protect paint. Cruise control on downhill is rough. Keyless entry is too sensitive, sometimes going off when I put the key chain away. Rear stereo speakers should be on back tailgate pillars.

Long Term Test Drive
By Pilgrim

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for 10 months now and it's still a thrill to drive. Full-time all wheel drive is wonderful; though the stock tires are a poor choice. Transmission is smooth yet tight, one of the best I've driven. With better than 10K miles still no rattles. Surprising handling for such a high profile will be made much better by tires that actually grip the road. Despite the tires the car has a very substantial feel whether on a back country dirt road or out on the interstate behind a semi on a windy winter's night.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive. Tight steering with just a hint of oversteer ... enjoyable. Great shifting manual. Unexpected extras such as the heated seats, mirrors and wipers for us in winter climates a plus.

Suggested Improvements

Number one is a higher final drive gear ratio (sixth gear) to lower engine speed at highway speeds. A cruise control that does not turn on and off on downhill grades. VERY annoying! A better tire selection PLEASE! A cable clutch linkage for better clutch "feel".

Mostly good
By Kathy

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is almost as good as I expected. I like everything except the cruise control. Mine won't work and I can't get Subaru to fix it. I've been to the dealership twice and they say to wait until November when they "might" have a solution. I've tried to contact the regional customer service but so far, no one has bothered to call me back. It's been three weeks since the problem was first reported.

Favorite Features

Gas economy, outside mirror defrosters, ease of handling, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

A better prepared, more responsive service team would be nice. It took two trips to the dealership to fix the glove box and remote. If they can't fix the cruise control on a car with less than 2,000 miles on it, I'm a bit worried about repairs down the road.

Best for now
By halbhh

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Since we need to haul our 3 large dogs, we need a wagon or SUV. Of all the ones out there this is probably the most cost efficient while still having such a great look and feel. It's interesting to see today the article where it's more fuel efficient than the Toyota Highlander Hybrid. We get 27.5 in town and 30 on the highway (review said that hybrid did 23). She wanted manual, so that's what we have, and its drawback is the slight jerkiness and heavy clutch, but you learn to ease it and we're getting better at it (after 5000 miles). Overall I don't think there's anything close for this price. It's a truly great car/wagon/suv/what-have-you.

Favorite Features

That subtle Subaru, Japanese styling. It's sport car feel and nimbleness under most conditions.

Suggested Improvements

For the manual transmission, Subaru should work to reduce the jerkiness when the clutch is engaged or when using cruise control downhill.

Very good wagon
By Andrew

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fuel mileage varies depending on whether I'm driving (31 mpg) or my wife (24 mpg). No problems after 10 months of ownership. RPM at highway speeds seems high (approx. 3000 rpm at 65). This results in noticeable noise at higher speeds and lower fuel economy. Protenza RE92 tires receive poor ratings by consumers on tirerack.com. Especially for winter conditions. People who live where it snows should consider buying better tires for winter. Save the Protenzas for the summer. Stability control should be offered as an option. Although I feel the 168hp motor is adequate, Subaru should offer a 180-200hp motor in addition to the 168 and 250. Shifter is stiff in cold weather. Great car in general.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, space, safety, looks, dependability, all wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

200 hp motor option (something between 168 hp and 250 motor) 2) Subaru needs to offer stability control 3) possibly higher gearing for highway driving. 4) better standard tires. 5) offer a towing package. -- not much else.

Super Value
By hkoestner

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have 3 Subarus in family, two 2005s - the '05 Outback with 5 speed is a wagon, SUV and sports car rolled into one. As with all my Subies, this one has almost 20k on it and no problems; great handling, superb in snow & comfortable. I am in sales and spend a lot of time in the car driving. Living in snowy winters you get the comfort as well as absolutely superior handling in all weather conditions. I trade them every 3 years or at around 40k, always buying Subies. I only consider Subies. Why change to something else when they work so well. Great looks, great handling, great reliability, comfortable and finally great value.

Favorite Features

AWD, handling, exterior and interior looks and features, decent mileage, heated windshield, peppie with 5 speed.

Suggested Improvements

none come to mind.

spice
By merle

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Outback. It's one of two we have; the other, a '97, is also in excellent shape and reliable. I feel very safe and secure when driving or a passenger in either Outback. Especially after a long winter!

Favorite Features

Heated seat lots of room All wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Heated steering wheel would like to be able to open the rear side windows for more fresh ventilation - I have a dog and she travels in the very back.