2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Great Value for your Money
By 23simply on 12/29/06 07:15 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We were looking for an AWD or a 4WD, however, gas mileage and the NHTSA crash test rating were two big factors for us. We found this perfect and value laden family AWD that gives you the ground clearance and the traction of an SUV, the comfort of a long wheelbase car and the price of a 4 door sedan. Amazing! We love it, perfect for the family on the go, perfect for the New England Region. Oh the NHTSA rating for front and side crash test? 5/5... sweet!

wouldn't buy another
By steve on 07/08/06 19:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Lights burn out. Transmission slips.

Best out of 6
By Charlie on 04/24/06 10:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 6th Subaru dating back to 1981 and this is the best to date. 4 cylinder is fine for my needs. Have 23,000 miles on vehicle and have averaged 24.8 since purchase. Have gotten as high as 30 on a trip. Goes anywhere and handles exceptionally well (except for the OEM tires). Had them replaced at 22k. A great all around vehicle for the money. High ground clearance makes it easy to enter and exit vehicle. Standard model comes with a ton of options that are extra on other cars.

Good, but could be better
By Jerry Levy on 12/17/05 00:47 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent driving experience, a good combination of handling and luxury ride. Fun on two lane mountain highways, dirt roads, and freeways. Dealer very helpful when I needed unscheduled maintenance--gave me a new, free car for two weeks.

Long Term Test Drive
By Pilgrim on 11/06/05 16:59 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for 10 months now and it's still a thrill to drive. Full-time all wheel drive is wonderful; though the stock tires are a poor choice. Transmission is smooth yet tight, one of the best I've driven. With better than 10K miles still no rattles. Surprising handling for such a high profile will be made much better by tires that actually grip the road. Despite the tires the car has a very substantial feel whether on a back country dirt road or out on the interstate behind a semi on a windy winter's night.

Mostly good
By Kathy on 09/28/05 16:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is almost as good as I expected. I like everything except the cruise control. Mine won't work and I can't get Subaru to fix it. I've been to the dealership twice and they say to wait until November when they "might" have a solution. I've tried to contact the regional customer service but so far, no one has bothered to call me back. It's been three weeks since the problem was first reported.

Best for now
By halbhh on 07/31/05 13:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Since we need to haul our 3 large dogs, we need a wagon or SUV. Of all the ones out there this is probably the most cost efficient while still having such a great look and feel. It's interesting to see today the article where it's more fuel efficient than the Toyota Highlander Hybrid. We get 27.5 in town and 30 on the highway (review said that hybrid did 23). She wanted manual, so that's what we have, and its drawback is the slight jerkiness and heavy clutch, but you learn to ease it and we're getting better at it (after 5000 miles). Overall I don't think there's anything close for this price. It's a truly great car/wagon/suv/what-have-you.

Very good wagon
By Andrew on 05/12/05 18:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fuel mileage varies depending on whether I'm driving (31 mpg) or my wife (24 mpg). No problems after 10 months of ownership. RPM at highway speeds seems high (approx. 3000 rpm at 65). This results in noticeable noise at higher speeds and lower fuel economy. Protenza RE92 tires receive poor ratings by consumers on tirerack.com. Especially for winter conditions. People who live where it snows should consider buying better tires for winter. Save the Protenzas for the summer. Stability control should be offered as an option. Although I feel the 168hp motor is adequate, Subaru should offer a 180-200hp motor in addition to the 168 and 250. Shifter is stiff in cold weather. Great car in general.

Super Value
By hkoestner on 04/23/05 22:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have 3 Subarus in family, two 2005s - the '05 Outback with 5 speed is a wagon, SUV and sports car rolled into one. As with all my Subies, this one has almost 20k on it and no problems; great handling, superb in snow & comfortable. I am in sales and spend a lot of time in the car driving. Living in snowy winters you get the comfort as well as absolutely superior handling in all weather conditions. I trade them every 3 years or at around 40k, always buying Subies. I only consider Subies. Why change to something else when they work so well. Great looks, great handling, great reliability, comfortable and finally great value.

spice
By merle on 03/31/05 11:14 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Outback. It's one of two we have; the other, a '97, is also in excellent shape and reliable. I feel very safe and secure when driving or a passenger in either Outback. Especially after a long winter!