2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Subaru Outback.
By Trudie on 11/23/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Okay, so we had moved up to the Big Bear mountains and we needed an AWD car. After reading reviews and considering several options we decided to go with a used Subaru Outback. We purchased the car in El Cajon which was 300 miles away because this car is difficult to find. We found the one we wanted, carfax checked out it was great we took it. We have now owned the car for 8 months and it has gone through 2 transmissions, torn two axle boots, and has overall been out of commission for months. I would not recommend this car to anyone. Especially now because the transmission in it now is having the SAME issues that the other 2 were having. This car has been unreliable from the start. Don't buy.

Love my Outback
By jackco00 on 06/12/10 11:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my LL Bean 2005 Outback wagon, but I'm still shocked by the gas mileage I'm getting. Highway driving is not problem, but around town I sometimes only get 16 mpg! I switched to mid-range fuel, but that doesn't help much with the price of gas these days. I would love to get another Outback, but Subaru hasn't done anything to improve mileage in the new V6's except changing to regular gas. I'm considering a Toyota hybrid for my next car.

First Subaru
By Powmaster on 05/21/10 15:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Outback was my first Subaru purchase; had Hondas and Toyotas previously. With the manual tranny, I achieve 26 mpg - not bad for a 4wd station wagon. Two recalls, both for the ECU and both were fast fixes and covered by Subaru. No major issues with anything. Headlights do burn out fast (once a year or so). Some minor rattles from the dash, depending on the temperature. Bad wheel alignment from the factory and wore out the tires in less than 28,000 miles. Dealer refused to do anything about it - told me it was my fault which is totally untrue.

Never again
By larry on 02/23/10 10:53 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is the worst used car I've ever owned and I've new bought a new car in my life. I've had trouble with the alarm going off for no reason for months and the dealer not being able to figure it out then finally they discovered the rear hood latch was faulty. I've had several sensors replaced one cost three hundred and one around four hundred. The rear wheel bearing went out and the heater fan needed to be replaced. It blows headlights constantly and has a horrible squeak in the dash. All these repairs in less than a year, and the car doesn't even have 70k on it - seems ridiculous back to toyota's for me.

Frustrated!!
By kdurre on 02/22/10 22:16 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm sure I have a lemon but with 89,000 miles there is not much I can do. I do like the car other than the CV joint and Rear wheel baring need to be replaced. The CD player may or may not play. The front driver seat burns you when you use the seat warmer. The passenger seat "passenger sensor" dings all the time unless the seat belt is locked in. The windshield rattles unless papers are pushed down between the glass and dash, even after one windshield replacement. And the transmission lurches to shift until it warms up.

Great Used Car
By Dave from TX on 01/31/10 15:25 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used, second owner. It now has 71,000 miles and going strong. Replaced the passenger side CV boot, it sits above the catalytic converter so wears out sooner because of the heat. Cost $280 at dealership to fix but warranty covered so only $100. That was at 70,000 miles. Brakes still going strong, replaced Bridgestone with General; traction galore. H7 headlight bulbs do burn out somewhat quickly, my last set lasted 16 months. Other than the CV boot and headlight bulbs no other issues. I'm 6'4", 215lbs and it's a comfortable car albeit a little tight for my size. My girlfriend drove it and was shocked when I told her it was a 4 cylinder, she thought it was a V6 (she drives a V6 VW).

Dependable
By SeattleSub on 11/18/09 16:25 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new, now covered 72k miles in all conditions. I am a confirmed Subaru driver and this car has lived up to my expectations. This car gets me everywhere I want to go in any weather. The performance of the 2.5i is adequate. The 4-speed auto needs another gear and quicker response. Why did they put such poor tires on at the factory? Problems included: 1) Burning out headlight bulbs regularly. I no longer leave the headlights on all the time and the problem has gone away. 2) Wheel bearing went at 59k. I now have a 1 year old son and this model is too small in the back for the car seat and Mum. I am 6'5". I will probably buy the new model as it has much more leg and shoulder room.

Typical Subaru Greatness!
By Subaroid! on 09/02/09 00:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car in 2009. For a 2005, and it had low mileage for a 4-year old Subaru (65,000). It looks great (for a station wagon), and the build quality is typical Subaru. No problems so far at 65K. Subaru's flat 4 cylinder engine was re-designed in 2005 and is great! Quiet and smooth. Past Subarus (besides the WRX models) had poor acceleration, but this one really goes! It's very fun to drive this car. The all-wheel-drive is great! Subaru took everything good about the Outback and in 2005 made it better! Brakes- Great Steering- Great Handling- Great Features- leather, huge sunroof, performance tires, 17" wheels, turbo engine, power everything, heated seats/mirrors, AWD.

Bad Catalytic converter $$
By fino on 08/15/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned many Subaru's and really loved them all except for this problem. Catalytic converter is bad and estimated replacement is $2,000 to $3,000. I have spoken to some Subaru and non Subaru mechanics and all have said this is a common problem. I am not getting any satisfaction from Subaru USA and this has turned a loyal customer into a doubter. They tried a computer fix that did not work. They blame problem on hills and high speeds. The car also had bad rear bearing that were replaced as a recall.

Worst Subaru I've Ever Owned...
By Garandpa on 07/23/09 12:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is our 5th Subaru, 2 Legacy's, 1 Justy and 2 Outbacks & this car has been the worst of the bunch. On the positive side, the gas mileage is good, it runs well and the problems have not been anything serious. BUT, we've had trim pop off repeatedly, carpet come loose & handles break. In 4 years/77,000 miles, we've put in 5 headlight bulbs, all front & rear brake pads (my '88 Chevy truck had the original pads and bulbs in it when I sold it in 2004 w/130,000 miles), replaced the interior bulbs 2x, both rear wheel bearings (under warranty at least), put 3 O2 sensors in and now the car has a new whine in the rear. The nearest Subaru dealer is 50 miles away and difficult to deal with.