2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2.5 XT Limited Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Like a bad marriage. When it starts breaking, DUMP IT.
By freeskier118 on 11/28/14 12:21 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved my turbo Outback. It was absolutely bulletproof in the snow--unstoppable with snow tires. It was fun to drive with lots and lots of power. The interior is super comfortable. Unfortunately it did not love me back. Over the last year it was in the shop overnight at least 5 times for major engine and transmission repair. And on the turbo model, everything is more expensive to fix. A lot more expensive. If it would just hold together I would drive it into the ground. But in the end, it's just not worth bankrupting myself. It was great for a fling, terrible for the long haul. Now I read reviews from Honda drivers complaining about a $700 timing belt replacement and just laugh.

Typical Subaru Greatness!
By Subaroid! on 09/02/09 00:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car in 2009. For a 2005, and it had low mileage for a 4-year old Subaru (65,000). It looks great (for a station wagon), and the build quality is typical Subaru. No problems so far at 65K. Subaru's flat 4 cylinder engine was re-designed in 2005 and is great! Quiet and smooth. Past Subarus (besides the WRX models) had poor acceleration, but this one really goes! It's very fun to drive this car. The all-wheel-drive is great! Subaru took everything good about the Outback and in 2005 made it better! Brakes- Great Steering- Great Handling- Great Features- leather, huge sunroof, performance tires, 17" wheels, turbo engine, power everything, heated seats/mirrors, AWD.

Worst Subaru I've Ever Owned...
By Garandpa on 07/23/09 12:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is our 5th Subaru, 2 Legacy's, 1 Justy and 2 Outbacks & this car has been the worst of the bunch. On the positive side, the gas mileage is good, it runs well and the problems have not been anything serious. BUT, we've had trim pop off repeatedly, carpet come loose & handles break. In 4 years/77,000 miles, we've put in 5 headlight bulbs, all front & rear brake pads (my '88 Chevy truck had the original pads and bulbs in it when I sold it in 2004 w/130,000 miles), replaced the interior bulbs 2x, both rear wheel bearings (under warranty at least), put 3 O2 sensors in and now the car has a new whine in the rear. The nearest Subaru dealer is 50 miles away and difficult to deal with.

70,000 Update
By Peter Chun on 07/02/09 13:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Still fun to drive but, not thrilled with dealer service which is what I hear from a lot of other Subaru owners. Had to replace tires for the second time earlier this year. Original Potenzas were lousy but, the Goodyear Eagles I replaced them with handled great. Had bearing noise problems which keep my car in the shop for a week around the 25K mark. Car started to die on me at stops earlier this year. Had to spend $360 to have valves cleaned and it runs fine now. Went on trips to Utah and Arizona the car performed great. The XT has been a good blend of performance, comfort, practicality, safety and for the most part, reliability. However, my next car will probably be a hybrid.

Station wagons can be fun
By Bill on 06/02/09 09:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I went from a 2004 outback base to this turbocharged outback. Let me say this, I deliver newspapers for a living. So the car needs to be reliable. I will say that the car has been really good so far. Gas mileage isn't the greatest, but then again a lot of starts and stops and riding the clutch too. The car is fast only when you let the rpms run to about 6300 rpms to shift it takes off. For the money you can't go wrong but sadly Subaru dropped the turbo outback for 2010 now it looks like a big SUV. Driving this car everyday is fun, love the turn signals on the side view mirrors. Subaru only made a few of these cars every year if you can get a chance to own one grab it.

great utility car
By Ron on 04/06/09 08:18 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new now I have 109,000 miles on it with very few problems brakes at 45,000 tires at 52,000 brake job was expensive $800. I commute 140 miles each way to work about 10 times a month. Average mpg 26.6 This is my third Subaru and the only reason I will probably not get a fourth is I need a change. I have noticed some of the reviews indicate this car is not good in the snow I live in the northeast and drive many miles on the backroads of Maine, New Hanpshire and Vermont and I think this car is great in the snow One caveat if you like quick acceleration and power THIS IS NOT THE CAR FOR YOU If you want reliable economical transportation and need AWD this is a great car.

It's no Audi S4, but...
By Jack on 04/01/09 04:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

...that's not a bad thing! Don't tell the Audi guys, but I'm a Subie convert. Prior to the XT I owned an Audi S4 with the biturbo 2.7 V6 and 6 speed transmission, AWD, of course. I've always been a car guy and the S4 is a "car guy" kind of car, but I actually like the Outback XT more. Why? It provides 90% of the driving pleasure of the S4 (100% of the acceleration!) but without the worry over expensive repairs. I am totally thrilled with this car. I bought mine with 32,000 miles on it, one owner, and the car looks, feels, and runs like brand spankin' new. I used to think I was an Audi guy. Turns out I was actually a Subie guy with pretensions. Dropped the pretense and picked up the Subaru.

Just disappointed
By Grant on 10/14/08 18:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My first Subaru will be my last. Bought the Outback based on the Subaru reputation for being bullet proof. Far from it. Subaru must have got a bunch of bad bearings. They extended the warranty on the wheel bearings, which I replaced. The real shocker has been the clutch. Had to replace the throw-out bearing at 52k. Dealer told me to replace the flywheel and clutch plate while he was at it, or may end up paying for labor twice. $1500 later the bearing still makes a noise. Never thought I'd be spending $1500 for a clutch on a Subaru with 52K and I don't ride the clutch.

A 3 Year Review of the Outback XT
By 3year-review on 05/05/08 12:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have put about 42,000 miles on my black on black Outback XT that I leased brand new. This is a great wagon for hauling your junk around. I only had one trip to the dealer for any warranty issues, and that issue was a minor wiring fix. The turbocharged engine has plenty of power on tap. Amazingly, the OEM tires (Potenza) still have decent tread remaining. I average 22 MPG with 75% highway miles and a heavy foot. Drives great in the snow although it does have a tendency to fishtail. I would surely buy one again.

Happy with power, unhappy with quality
By Mark on 02/17/08 20:33 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I expected the usual Subaru quality with this vehicle. The performance is everything I expected but the build quality is not. Door handle trims falling off and arm rest covers falling off are not what I expect. The latest surprise was having to replace CV boots and clatch at 55000 miles. I've driven manuals all my life and never replaced a clutch.