2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
I love it!!
By mkerrigan on 04/27/09 13:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my first Subie! I love it! Its the manual turbo with heated cloth seats. The interior is simple and nice. Exterior is sharp looking. Pickup and go is awesome! Great interior room and ride is quiet and solid. Gas mileage has been approx. 20 mpg, not bad. I am very happy.

No car is perfect
By pjellison on 01/19/09 12:33 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall the car is acceptable. The ride is comfortable and the interior design is pleasing. The right rear tire tread wore out at 20,0000. The dealer said the axle was bent. I replaced all 4 tires, the originals were not good quality. The quality of the ivory cloth seats are poor. Any spill or cleaner leaves a stain. The distinct line with the headlights are distracting. Oncoming cars frequently think I have on high beams. My hands do not grip the non-leather steering wheel (required a steering wheel grip).

Fine car, at least till gas went up
By John on 06/29/08 07:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

1st class well designed and works well. AC needs a "single" button for one occupant or you're changing two dials to get one change. Bridgestone standard tires simply awful - didn't last long and slid about all over the place. Replaced with Goodyear triple tred and now handles like on rails wet or dry, but more road noise and lost at least 2 mpg. No reliability problems, one set of headlights (33k right now), but mpg is bad. Town driving normally, I get 17-18, put your foot down a little and average barely 16. Long run, get 27mph predictably. Think of her as a 4cyl wagon and that's disappointing. Think of her as a V8 fast, low COG SUV - the best kept secret in motoring!

Money Pit
By Disappointed on 10/04/07 10:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We have an '04 Outback Sedan, 100K miles, runs great - and an '05 Outback XT wagon 5 spd that fell apart. We just traded in the '05 wagon with 92K miles on it. Tires must be replaced in pairs and have equal tread or the car pulls hard and rides rough. Plus, it will not tow the weight Subaru claims. Replaced clutch at about 60K miles ($1000) At 92K, car needed the following: rear window wiper ($400) pwr steer pump ($600) and manual tranny ($3500). On the way to trade it in, cruise control broke and check engine light was on. Loved the car but it fell apart and was very expensive.

stealth wagon
By arizona on 02/08/07 12:35 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Car is pleasant to look at but doesn't attract attention. The turbo gives it a serious turn of speed. Has been comfortable on long (7 hour) highway trips. Has performed well on off road camping excursions. Did very well last year during a major snowstorm and snow covered roads in Colorado (where every third car seemed to be a Subaru). Holds a surprising amount of gear. Longer wheelbase gives it a more comfortable highway ride than the Forester.

Great Fun
By MWiener2 on 06/16/05 18:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my XT. Handles itself well off-road as well. Highway driving at 60mph will get you almost 28 mpg. The stock RE92A tires are ok in the summer, but really poor in snow and wet.

My new XT Limited
By pthal on 06/08/05 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car in 5/'05 using the 1,000 dealer incentive for a total of $28,600 (traded in a BMW 328i). All around it has great power but drives a little more like a SUV than I thought it would--sits higher than the previous model. Handling can't compare to a BMW but the acceleration is great. Love my bike rack and I'm impressed by the quality of the interior. The more aggressive stance of the car is what appealed to me vs. previous version.

Very happy
By Kristian Coyne on 03/24/05 17:37 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my OBXT for about 4 weeks and have put about 1300 miles on it. I am completely happy with it! The engine pulls like crazy and it loves the snow. The ride is very comfortable. The handling is very good, although I find the rear a little under damped when pushing through bumpy corners. Gas mileage has been about 23mpg (manually calculated--not from the display) so far in mixed driving and I expect it to climb once the engine is fully broken in. The power is fantastic even when over 10,000 feet above sea level because of the turbo. I am looking forward to some light duty off-roading this summer. This is the perfect "Colorado sports car"!

Formula 1 Station Wagon?!?
By DukeTrout on 03/21/05 13:01 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife and I tested three models of the Outback: 2.5i in manual and automatic and the 2.5 turbo in automatic. I was pretty impressed with the performance of all three, but the acceleration didn't match my 250 hp Dodge sedan. We ended up buying the 2.5 Turbo with a manual. Surprise! This car accelerates like crazy. It pushes you to shift and keep up with the turbo. On top of the fun factor, the interior and exterior are built to perfection. The design is amazing, from the big items like the beefy, high-riding suspension to the tiny details, like grocery-bag hooks that will lock closed with plastic bag straps in place so that you don't spill your Chinese take-out all over the cargo tray.

Whoop de do!
By GeneZX11 on 12/15/04 13:25 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For me, the 2005 Sube was a tough choice between it and the Passat wagon, especially with year end discounts on VW 2004's. I think the Passat GLX wagon was a little bit plusher, and supposedly handled a tad bit better. However, the turning point for me was the 250hp, the AWD, Subaru reliability, a 2005 model and 8.7" of ground clearance, vs the VW's 190 hp and FWD, for close to the same price. Essentially, the turbo power fun factor sealed the deal.