2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
A good vehicle for active people
By J.Sgambelluri on 01/28/08 05:11 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

One immediate benefit is that one steps in, not down into or up into this car. For handicapped or elderly this is immensely helpful. Nice cab proportion and good cargo area layout accommodates everything from the family dog to a kayak if so desired. It is a surefooted vehicle with adequate power even in Southern California freeway traffic. Very quick steering reaction, good control.

I can't wait until I trade it in
By denisa on 12/04/07 11:57 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As a former Legacy owner, I planned on a Forester, but bought an Outback because the seats were far more comfortable. I regret my decision daily. The projector beam headlights are horrible - they create a dark "curtain" that dips up and down and cuts visibility. They also blind other drivers and I am constantly being flashed. There is steady wind noise on the driver's side. The tires are terrible - slid off the road in slush my first storm out. Shifts between gears too much. The rear window is high, angled and small and makes parking and backing up difficult. The back-up lights are not bright. No keyed trunk release! The seatbelt bell is a nuisance. So-so on fuel. I hate this car.

Won't get burned again.
By outback on 09/07/07 19:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an Outback summer of 2005. Came highly recommended by everyone I talked to. I have no idea why. Had to realign at 5000 mi and I hit nothing. OEM tires shot at 20000 miles. Replaced with cheap Cooper tires, ride and handling better than OEM Bridgestones. Seats are very uncomfortable and back seat is way too small. Gas mileage is good (26 to 28 very careful hwy, no A/C) but if you add a roof carrier and bike rack, drops to 23 to 24 mpg. Car is underpowered. Also, the Outback is not an SUV or truck. Not durable.

Good mileage
By rppups on 11/09/06 20:44 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you're looking for an all-around utility car this may be it. Handles great in the snow/ice, rides smooth, lots of storage, good looking, and I average almost 28 mpg with 30,000 miles on the engine. The only thing I find lacking is power, but that's the trade off for the good mileage.

Good car
By Charles on 11/05/06 18:20 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Only improvements could be more interior lighting when the doors are opened at night and more power under the hood. Otherwise, I would say this car is amazing. It functions well, is incredibly safe (I emerged unscratched in a head on collision), and looks great.

Subaru Wagon
By wrh2046 on 10/18/06 08:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very tight, no rattles. It is a dream to drive on long trips.T he one thing I don't like it need to use premium gas. This is my third one- two L.L Bean wagons, and one Forester that my wife drives and she loves it.

great, but...
By outbou on 03/22/06 11:29 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Basically, I love the car (it's my 2nd one) but I absolutely hate the fact that there is no place for your pocketbook of bag of some sort. We need women to design a car with women and mothers in mind!

uses more gas than advertised
By geo on 03/11/06 15:22 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Generally an OK car except it barely gets over 20 MPG and there is a noticeable boxer engine vibration noticeable through the gas pedal from the opposed cylinders. Fairly rough on tire wear.

love it
By c on 02/14/06 13:24 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I downsized from a Pathfinder that I loved to the 2005 2.5i limited. Very comfortable, agile and just superb in bad weather. Driving in rain is like driving on dry pavement. In 18" of snow it did well except when the drifts exceeded the front hood. All I had to do was back up and try again and it blasted right through.

cruise (out of) control
By fred on 02/07/06 13:23 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had an '03 Forester with cruise control that worked great. Why did they change it? Have they never heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Have had it "worked on" several times including sending the unit to regional office for re-programming and it still "hunts" while going down hill. Very annoying! :-( Is the factory going to recall the '05s and correct it? Am losing my patience! Otherwise, I think it is a very fine vehicle.