2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
First Subaru
By Powmaster on 05/21/10 15:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Outback was my first Subaru purchase; had Hondas and Toyotas previously. With the manual tranny, I achieve 26 mpg - not bad for a 4wd station wagon. Two recalls, both for the ECU and both were fast fixes and covered by Subaru. No major issues with anything. Headlights do burn out fast (once a year or so). Some minor rattles from the dash, depending on the temperature. Bad wheel alignment from the factory and wore out the tires in less than 28,000 miles. Dealer refused to do anything about it - told me it was my fault which is totally untrue.

Bad Catalytic converter $$
By fino on 08/15/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned many Subaru's and really loved them all except for this problem. Catalytic converter is bad and estimated replacement is $2,000 to $3,000. I have spoken to some Subaru and non Subaru mechanics and all have said this is a common problem. I am not getting any satisfaction from Subaru USA and this has turned a loyal customer into a doubter. They tried a computer fix that did not work. They blame problem on hills and high speeds. The car also had bad rear bearing that were replaced as a recall.

Terrible
By Donna on 03/16/09 11:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The first year I owned it - had to get new brakes, and new tires. Headlights burned out twice. Headlights are terrible - almost ran into the back of a tractor hauling a wagon because I was coming down hill and the lights don't shine upwards at all. 2nd year, had to get new Rotors, Brakes and tires (I made the mistake of buying the same Bridgestone tires). Terrible in the snow - Rear end constantly fishtails - even with new tires. Car sways as if the chassis is going to fall off the frame. I am so disappointed. This is my third Subaru, but will not buy one again.

Reliable??
By chickentoaster on 02/06/09 19:41 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The first 4 years car was alright, just don't expect much in the way of gas mileage. Had to replace rear wheel bearings under the special extended warrentee. Car was so loud that I could not hear the people in the back seat at over 25 mph. Have kept all the service intervals. Dealer says the head gasket is shot and needs to be replaced, estimate $2000.00. Only 71,000 mile on the car. I've had cars with 150K+ miles with fewer major problems. Headlights burn out about 2 months. Car has a higher than average cost of ownership, intervals for regular service items seem more frequent than other manufacturers. I don't think I'll be getting another Subaru. Not the quality I expected.

Worst Car I Ever Loved
By Pilgrim 54 on 01/19/09 23:55 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

North western PA winters were no match for the Sube. Foot of snow; no problem. Need lots of ground clearance, fine. Need service...good luck. Yes you WILL need service. We bought ours new and sold it after 4 years. Had numorous problems with the cruise control operation. Replaced the timing belt tensioner TWICE! On the way to the dealer when we were trading it in we were having second thoughts till the check engine light came on!!

Buy One!
By catskill lew on 12/21/08 10:50 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car all around but a bit slow up the long hills. But I consistently get about 33 mpg on the 100 mile ride back from the mountains. Had sounds from front brakes but Subaru helped me replace all the brakes after only 25,000 mi. Terrific safer fun driving in the snow storms-car kept nice and steady, passing the less fortunate cars on side of snow banks.

Will get another eventually
By lewis sherman on 11/27/08 05:17 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Terrific car except that after about 25,000 miles I got stuck with total brake jobs because NO DEALERS could diag. noises at low speeds. My mileage - not kidding - is terrific on open roads. Always get no less than 33 mpg on the 100 mile trip from the Catskills!! Love the looks of the Forester but hate to give up the Outback.

AWD is Overrated.
By Alex on 09/06/08 18:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Really liked it at first, but after two years, I'm happy to be getting rid of it. I bought it for the cargo space and AWD. Lot's of space, very nice driving position, and comfortable front seats. However, it absolutely stinks in the snow (so much for AWD - had to buy snow tires anyway), the back seat is cramped for a car this big, it is SO underpowered, and it eats gas. Also, some interior elements are really shoddy and scratch easily (what is with the cargo cover?), and very large bumper overhang makes it almost impossible to parallel park. Lastly, after 30k miles, distinctive burning rubber smell started coming through the heat vents. Dealer could never figure out what was wrong.

Never again, going back to Toyota!
By msshrink on 07/14/08 16:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2.5i Subaru Outback used about two and a half years ago, after totaling my previous car in a nasty rainstorm. The four wheel drive was barely needed overall (milder winters) and my gas mileage plummeted from the mid 30s per gallon (Camry) to more like 20 mpg, sometimes a rare 25 on the highway. Then an annoying clicking sound developed when I turned the wheel and, only two years into the vehicle, both axles were shot. Naturally, they were very expensive because they could not be after-market, only Subaru. Several mechanics told me this is not unusual for Subarus, and after I had to plunk down over $1,000 suggested I head back to Toyota-land.

Perfect choice
By John on 04/11/08 13:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I decided to trade in my gas guzzling truck for a smaller car with better gas milage. This was a great choice. The AWD handling is new to me and if I don't be careful it WILL get me in trouble. Base model engine has little pick up but runs great once rolling, but I expected this and accept it. It has climbed some fairly mean off road trails and only had a slight overheat, with no problems later. I love my "new" 'Ru!