Used 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

A good vehicle for active people
By J.Sgambelluri

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

One immediate benefit is that one steps in, not down into or up into this car. For handicapped or elderly this is immensely helpful. Nice cab proportion and good cargo area layout accommodates everything from the family dog to a kayak if so desired. It is a surefooted vehicle with adequate power even in Southern California freeway traffic. Very quick steering reaction, good control.

Favorite Features

Stepping in, ease of control, roominess and workmanship

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any that are important. Perhaps adding some extra color combination interior/exterior would be good.

I can't wait until I trade it in
By denisa

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

As a former Legacy owner, I planned on a Forester, but bought an Outback because the seats were far more comfortable. I regret my decision daily. The projector beam headlights are horrible - they create a dark "curtain" that dips up and down and cuts visibility. They also blind other drivers and I am constantly being flashed. There is steady wind noise on the driver's side. The tires are terrible - slid off the road in slush my first storm out. Shifts between gears too much. The rear window is high, angled and small and makes parking and backing up difficult. The back-up lights are not bright. No keyed trunk release! The seatbelt bell is a nuisance. So-so on fuel. I hate this car.

Favorite Features

The heated seats are the best feature. The seats are comfortable and supportive. The dimming rearview mirror is a nice touch. Car holds a lot of cargo (moved a 5 ft. table, four chairs and a bookcase in one haul). Has been decent on long trips. Nice color (Atlantic Blue).

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the projector beam headlamps. Reduce wind noise. Make decent tires a standard feature and make them smaller. Increase visibility in rear window. Do something about that seatbelt bell. Better center armrest. Better gas mileage. Shifts back & forth too much.

Won't get burned again.
By outback

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an Outback summer of 2005. Came highly recommended by everyone I talked to. I have no idea why. Had to realign at 5000 mi and I hit nothing. OEM tires shot at 20000 miles. Replaced with cheap Cooper tires, ride and handling better than OEM Bridgestones. Seats are very uncomfortable and back seat is way too small. Gas mileage is good (26 to 28 very careful hwy, no A/C) but if you add a roof carrier and bike rack, drops to 23 to 24 mpg. Car is underpowered. Also, the Outback is not an SUV or truck. Not durable.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage -- with no load.

Suggested Improvements

Advertise as the car is - good on hwy commuting in moderately severe road conditions. Not a vehicle for outdoor people. I'll stick to my 2001 Jeep or a 4wd truck for my needs!!

Good mileage
By rppups

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you're looking for an all-around utility car this may be it. Handles great in the snow/ice, rides smooth, lots of storage, good looking, and I average almost 28 mpg with 30,000 miles on the engine. The only thing I find lacking is power, but that's the trade off for the good mileage.

Favorite Features

Bad weather performance, huge sun roof, storage, mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More power, front windows tend to fog easily and seem to always have a film on them, auto up feature for driver side window, ability to lock rear windows but still be able to lower them from driver control panel without having to unlock them.

Good car
By Charles

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Only improvements could be more interior lighting when the doors are opened at night and more power under the hood. Otherwise, I would say this car is amazing. It functions well, is incredibly safe (I emerged unscratched in a head on collision), and looks great.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy/temperature display, layout of stereo, overall design.

Suggested Improvements

More interior lighting, more power (buy the turbo Outback).