Used 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 254 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Constant Problems
By Matt

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing but constant issues. Its got 155K miles and I've treated it like gold. Headlights burn out constantly, rear window no longer goes up and down, trunk leaks in the rain. 2 major repairs this year alone - $2,100 for leaking head gaskets and $2,000 for a new transmission. Never buying a subaru again.

Constant problems
By Mike Howard

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had nothing but problems since the warranty ran out. The brakes and struts need to replaced way too often, I've had to replace all 4 bearings at least once and I've got another making noise already. The engine leaks oil and it's a head gasket leak so too expensive to repair. Also had to replace both front half-shafts. Headlights burn out after about 9 months at best. Car is not overly comfortable on long drives, and there is no place to rest your right foot when using cruise control. The back seat is tight. Will never buy another Subaru again.

Like a bad marriage. When it starts breaking, DUMP IT.
By freeskier118

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved my turbo Outback. It was absolutely bulletproof in the snow--unstoppable with snow tires. It was fun to drive with lots and lots of power. The interior is super comfortable.

Unfortunately it did not love me back. Over the last year it was in the shop overnight at least 5 times for major engine and transmission repair. And on the turbo model, everything is more expensive to fix. A lot more expensive. If it would just hold together I would drive it into the ground. But in the end, it's just not worth bankrupting myself. It was great for a fling, terrible for the long haul.

Now I read reviews from Honda drivers complaining about a $700 timing belt replacement and just laugh.

Best automobile
By krinara

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Subaru is "confidence in motion". I have owned many different brands, but the Subarus in that line up were the ones, that were the best bet for the money. The Outback 3.0 is the most reliable of the lot and I can say that I will always have a Subaru parked in my garage!

Reliability AWD Easy maintenance good resale value Handling

Worst car ever owned
By david338

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Outback is a money pit.
I guess I got a lemon.
Does the mfg. replace lemons?
Head gaskets need to be replaced (poor design).
I have had to replace both front axles, CV joints, hubs right rear and front, bushings bearings, etc...... already put $2000 in
and expecting to layout another $2000 (no joke).
I would recommend buying a HONDA.
Oh yeah my father in law bought a new outback and already had to replace front right CV.
At least his was under warranty.
Maybe I am the isolated anomaly but it still hurts.

Heated seats and the green paint. Leather is nice as well.

Where do I begin?