Used 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback Sedan

3.0 R 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 5-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )

Awsome cars
By rotcfancy

2005 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0 R AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I upgraded to an 05' Outback sedan from a 95' Legacy. Whether looking for a reliable car for a new driver, older driver, daily driver, or road trip. This is dependable in the rain, snow, sun, extreme cold, you name it. It's fun ( I have gone mudding with trucks)and towed them out) Its classy, comfy, and quick. It's the best car for the price. Other cars in the same year are the same price but this WILL get you to work in the snow. If you want to call off of work b/c of weather get something else. I am now a full blown Subaru Lover.

Favorite Features

Ride height, heated seats (also keeps takeout warm) and handling . my other Subaru has 200,00+ miles and is still going

Suggested Improvements

There is a small compartment above the stereo to store items, could be larger.

Best car for the money
By Dave Schwartz

2005 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0 R AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned Hondas, Toyotas, and several other foreign and domestic cars. The Subaru is by far the most dependable, best handling and Superior in bad weather to any car I have driven. I have a hard time believing some of the negative reviews I've read on the Internet. Either some people have never driven in the rain or a snow storm or they work for another car company. Do yourself a favor and just ask anyone who owns a Subaru what they think and I'm sure you'll get a very positive reply.

Favorite Features

The sure footed feeling of all wheel drive makes you want to travel in the worst kind of weather!

Suggested Improvements

More rear passenger leg room. However if you're like me I never travel long distances with more than one passenger, so it's not a big deal to me.

Very Happy
By merlwein

2005 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0 R AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Once owning it I finally opened it up and this car is great. Has great take off with a nice highway feel. The automatic sport transmission is really fun when you want to feel the pull. Handles very nice around turns with great precision. I have the heated seats and windshield which I can't wait to use this winter.

Favorite Features

The automatic to sport to manual transmission. The sport transmission is great for quick take-offs. Also, the heated windshield, mirrors, seats, etc.

Suggested Improvements

A sensor for your lights to know when it is night. I have already received a ticket for no tail lights. It has all day running lights, it should switch the interior and tail lights on at dusk.

Best I've Ever Owned
By BILL

2005 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0 R AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great overall value as with previous Subarus I've owned, but very refined. Compares favorably to an Audi A4 Quattro in performance, features and comfort, but it was $10-12k less. Full-time AWD is seamless and sure, and the 6 cyl boxster engine with the Auto stick trans is great for both performance and convenience, but I still get 26-29 mpg in mixed driving. In almost 60k on the odo, not a single maintenance issue. I know all cars are getting better all the time, but I've owned dozens of every type and major brand over 38 years, and this is the best ever for me. I'm keeping this one, but if I had to trade, I'd swap for a newer version of the same.

Favorite Features

AWD; Boxster 6; 5 sp auto-stick; heated leather seats, mirrors, w/s and rear glass; power everything; high clearance; good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Could be offered in other trim levels, and still be a great deal. May have changed, but for '05 only this 3.0 R was offered.

By Earl Evans

2005 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0 R AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our 10th Subaru, all were reliable, great in snow, dealer is fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

Comfort of seats for long trips.