2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Best automobile
By krinara on 02/19/14 07:33 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Subaru is "confidence in motion". I have owned many different brands, but the Subarus in that line up were the ones, that were the best bet for the money. The Outback 3.0 is the most reliable of the lot and I can say that I will always have a Subaru parked in my garage!

fun to drive; service dept. stinks
By ecwma on 11/28/06 07:03 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This VDC is an amazing car to drive but has had lots of "little" things go wrong with it; also had to replace tires at 30,000 miles - not cheap. AC did not work first several months I had the car; local service could not find anything wrong with it. Seat was broken but was worst after service department "fixed" it. Windshield broke/cracked with one small rock hitting it on way to work. It was out of alignment, local service said no; had warped rotors already. Subaru needs to communicate with service departments. It's been a lot of little things but many of those are service department errors...thinking of trading for a Honda - more reliable and service better.

Great in the snow
By LMay326 on 06/08/06 05:54 AM (PDT)

Great in the snow.

Great Ride
By Jack on 04/06/06 16:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The car handles like a dream. Like ALL other automatics they will shift at a point that is right on the cusp of the power between gears, particularly when not broken in yet. Fortunately this car comes with a manual/auto option on ALL models so shifting is a breeze and you have full control always. The gears immediately shift when commanded to do so. Also to other reviewers that think this car has "turbo lag" guess what it's not a turbo. It's a naturally aspirated horizontally opposed 6 with fuel injection. Again wait for a few oil changes, Subes performance improves immensely as you pass the 30 K mark -- with power and smoothness. A very tight car new.

true Road Commander
By Kevin on 04/05/06 17:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I live in the Lake Tahoe area of California. This car handles the turns and curves with grace and surefootedness like no other 4wd. I've owned 4Runners,Cherokee's etc. The manual shift option makes the transmission respond instantly to your input and I've noticed that after each oil change and then the differential & transmission fluid change the car has broken in beautifully and does not even resemble the car I drove off the lot. Was very tight when new and needed breaking in. Noticed it about 15k miles .The VDC eats the snow and I've passed so many suvs wiped out in the banks I can't even count 'em. The low center of gravity makes this pup tops.

Never Again
By Keith on 02/02/06 16:40 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I dislike this Subaru more than any car I have ever owned. I avoid driving this car rather than deal with the car's quirky and dangerous characteristics. Examples: Climbing a hill at highway speeds the car shifts between 4th & 5th gears every 4 seconds on average. The car responds to quick acceleration maneuvers with a 2-3 second delay before accelerating; not a good thing on busy Southern California freeways. The car has only 8K miles. After nine months as a Subaru owner I am ready to visit my Toyota dealer and eat the trade-in costs. I hate this car!

Subaru is Better Than The Ratings
By Hg Wells on 09/21/05 17:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I tend to think that Subaru owners are tougher evaluators than some others. So many Subaru owners love their cars and buy them again. This summer, I talked to a lady who is on her 7th Subaru and has said that they have (literally) saved her life. My VDC (a rarer model) has surprised me with its off-road performance. I have had more traditional 4WD vehicles before. I expected it to be good on any road, not as good as it is off-road. Higher ground clearance in the 2005's helps. The VDV (Vehicle Dynamic Control) traction control rarely kicks in, but when it does (only off-road so far), it does very well. I have always liked Subaru's engineering. Like it better than my ratings.

Great all around auto
By slocumt on 09/16/05 22:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Safety, great traction wet or dry, good gas mileage, room for five and then some; with today's high gas prices it just seems right .

Liked '97 much better
By Kiko on 09/15/05 22:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very disappointed with the fuel economy - 16mpg in winter, 19 in summer. Climate controls are confusing, impossible to get fresh, cool air into cabin w/o A/C. Continue to have issues with noise and vibration in front drivetrain. Dealer has not been able to correct after vehicle being in shop over two weeks. Should have stuck with the old reliable.

WHERE'S THE TORQUE?
By ROSALIE on 07/01/05 11:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Truly a great car except that there is hesitation and lack of torque. I love the styling, sound system, steering, interior (except rear leg room).