2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Love my Outback
By jackco00 on 06/12/10 11:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my LL Bean 2005 Outback wagon, but I'm still shocked by the gas mileage I'm getting. Highway driving is not problem, but around town I sometimes only get 16 mpg! I switched to mid-range fuel, but that doesn't help much with the price of gas these days. I would love to get another Outback, but Subaru hasn't done anything to improve mileage in the new V6's except changing to regular gas. I'm considering a Toyota hybrid for my next car.

2005 Outback LL Bean
By sailaway3662 on 01/03/09 18:56 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We love this car. I has excellent build quality and the boxer engine is very powerful. The AWD is great in the snow; we take it skiing and it is very sure footed. The wagon is great and we can load just about anything on it with some planning. My only complaint is that it averages 18 MPG town/freeway. If you keep it to 70 MPH or below you can average 24 MPG on the freeway. We live in Southern Cal. and often exceed that. Would definitely recommend it.

Subaru Quality
By Peter on 05/28/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Came from a Volks Jetta VR6 wagon, surprised that the Outback gets better gas mileage then the Jetta, even though the Jetta was a smaller car and front wheel drive. All arround the Outback is good car. Feel very safe with Outback, in addition to its sturdiness. So far it is a reliable car, even though I have spent a total of $1500 on the brakes two different times.

An All-Around Excellent Car
By Viking on 05/15/07 13:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is an excellent car. Actually, this car does not really have any direct competition for the price. It is very comfortable and looks upscale in and out. Of course, I wish I would average better that 21 MPG, but a lot of my driving is real stop and go. The car has never had to be repaired, only its regular servicing. Perhaps it is the brochure cover green, but I always get a lot of compliments on its looks. The car has no shortage of power and it handles incredibly well.

Green Bean
By Dave on 08/05/06 21:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I saw the car on the lot and fell in love with the color (Willow Green) for starters. Thought the flared fenders and rugged looks were awesome. I took it for a ride and the seamless power from 0 to 70 was awesome. It does have a few second delay when you step on it so If you are counting on the 250 horses to make up for the close pull out in traffic, think before you put your nose out there. The huge sunroof is a bit chattery when closed and almost impossible to have open while going over 50 from the wind noise. I tried to buy a sunroof deflector from the dealer and the one listed ONLY fits the sedan, not the wagon.

Not a bad Car...
By Brian Muir on 01/03/06 13:45 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for just over 9 months. This makes my 9th Subaru. Overall it's a very nice car. Front seats comfy and instrument panel are very easy on the eyes. The center instrument cluster is just to BUSY. Wait till you see it at night, I thought I was flying a jet! It wouldn't be so bad if different areas (heat, radio) were different colors. But everything is amber at night. Very confusing to find things. I'm not too happy with the automatic transmission, but I love the Sports mode! The Gas economy is terrible. I think most pick-up trucks do better. Remember high test gas ONLY.

To Subi or not to Subi, ....... question
By RBN on 01/02/06 14:38 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very well performing station wagon that has a lot of utility. 250 HP is great, smooth transmission makes for a soft ride. 19 mpg is not great but a fair deal for the performance and utility received. Tire pressure sensors are sensitive and alarm the driver somewhat early. In fall and spring when night and daytime temperatures vary more than usual, the warning light goes of frequently. All in all a great car with full time all wheel drive. Ultimate control in every weather. Nothing slips, nothing slides. Great car.

After 30,000 miles!
By sabatia on 10/18/05 08:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven 30k miles, including three trips to my extreme getaway in the near arctic in winter and summer, city driving, and semi-rural around home. This car is fun to drive, feels quite safe, has plenty of cargo room, a big sunroof. If I could do it again, I would have gone up one more step to the VDC and gotten a major winter safety boost. The all-wheel drive is seamless and has gotten me out of some very slippery and rough situations in my explorations of very remote areas in all seasons. I live in a very wealthy area and I don't see any car I'd rather have!

I like it but it could be much better
By Chris M on 09/21/05 15:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car to get out of the normal SUV body style and to improve on our gas mileage from a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The improvement worked out to about 3 mpg better than the way heavier Jeep. The car drives great, I expect it to be reliable, but there are a lot of small things that were missed. The flip door space in the center of the dash just shows the lack of imagination. That was the best they could come up with for that space?

We always buy a Subaru
By Pat Wood on 08/17/05 11:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Subaru is a choice of our family because of it's reliability and the service at the Dealership, if needed. We feel it is one of the safest cars to drive on the open road in all kinds of weather. (Especially the western NY weather!) We have owned many Subaru's and only buy a new one because of upgrading.