2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Like a bad marriage. When it starts breaking, DUMP IT.
By freeskier118 on 11/28/14 12:21 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved my turbo Outback. It was absolutely bulletproof in the snow--unstoppable with snow tires. It was fun to drive with lots and lots of power. The interior is super comfortable. Unfortunately it did not love me back. Over the last year it was in the shop overnight at least 5 times for major engine and transmission repair. And on the turbo model, everything is more expensive to fix. A lot more expensive. If it would just hold together I would drive it into the ground. But in the end, it's just not worth bankrupting myself. It was great for a fling, terrible for the long haul. Now I read reviews from Honda drivers complaining about a $700 timing belt replacement and just laugh.

Best automobile
By krinara on 02/19/14 07:33 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Subaru is "confidence in motion". I have owned many different brands, but the Subarus in that line up were the ones, that were the best bet for the money. The Outback 3.0 is the most reliable of the lot and I can say that I will always have a Subaru parked in my garage!

Worst car ever owned
By david338 on 12/18/13 09:38 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Outback is a money pit. I guess I got a lemon. Does the mfg. replace lemons? Head gaskets need to be replaced (poor design). I have had to replace both front axles, CV joints, hubs right rear and front, bushings bearings, etc...... already put $2000 in and expecting to layout another $2000 (no joke). I would recommend buying a HONDA. Oh yeah my father in law bought a new outback and already had to replace front right CV. At least his was under warranty. Maybe I am the isolated anomaly but it still hurts.

Great Snow vehicle but MAN the Oil leaks...
By junkyard2 on 04/18/13 15:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru and it will be my last. Pros: Fantastic AWD System, will flat out go in the snow ! Good gas mileage for a AWD, 27.5 highway, 23 city Easy to work on. Heated Windshield Cons: Cheap interior, Sub Standard factory Stereo System, Head Gasket leaks ! All 3 of my Outbacks have had head gasket issues, once they start leaking, they drip on the exhaust and the oil vapors come right in the fresh air ducts. If you buy one you WILL be eventually be putting head gaskets on it. At 120K miles, my steering rack is leaking oil bad, one head gasket is leaking and the cat converters are shot ($1860 at Subaru) I have a neighbor with a 2011 Outback that has oil leaks, BEWARE !

Going back to Toyota
By debafish on 02/06/13 12:00 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had nothing but problems with my Subaru Outback since we bought it. We burn through breaks, head lights and the car smells of burnt rubber after minimal driving. When the ABS light came on I took it to the dealer and they couldn't diagnose it (they failed to mention I need to leave the car running with the light on to diagnose..so they said). Now that is has 104K miles they tell me it's the ball bearing, covered until 100K by warranty. Then the turbo went out, $1600 later it's still smoking when I drive. Today they tell me the head gasket is shot and it has two leaks. This car is a money pit. I04K miles and a lot of issues, I'm going back to Toyota.

Awsome cars
By rotcfancy on 01/10/12 12:07 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I upgraded to an 05' Outback sedan from a 95' Legacy. Whether looking for a reliable car for a new driver, older driver, daily driver, or road trip. This is dependable in the rain, snow, sun, extreme cold, you name it. It's fun ( I have gone mudding with trucks)and towed them out) Its classy, comfy, and quick. It's the best car for the price. Other cars in the same year are the same price but this WILL get you to work in the snow. If you want to call off of work b/c of weather get something else. I am now a full blown Subaru Lover.

Blown Turbo(s)
By zkeatley on 09/01/11 08:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This was my familes second Outback with the first one putting in 10 solid years of service. The only thing that was lacking for me was that there was not sufficient enough power for passing so I was excited to find the turbo model which added greatly to the cars performance numbers and made the car fun to drive. The first turbo blew right around 60k and the second was like clock work at 120k. Sure things break on a car but at $2500 a piece, and the same exact part with the same exact problem...not really. The first time it took 4 weeks to get my car fixed because the turbo was on back order and there were two other cars at the same dealer, with the same exact problem.

A Lemon of a Great Car
By husker_soobie on 07/01/11 22:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

4th Soob. Bought it used at 2 yrs old with 40k miles Fast forward 4 yrs now at 100k. The last 2 yrs have been a nightmare. Brakes, headlight bulbs, CV's, spark plugs, axles, 2 Oxygen Sensors (in December '10, failed April '11 - part under warranty-not labor. The car was great to drive in inclement weather, & was a looker, it was a mess under the hood. We've spent $2200 in the last 7 months. Took it in for brakes AGAIN last week only to find out that we had a bad head gasket. We used 3.5 qts of oil in 2000 miles! Estimates $1700, plus impending timing belt, water pump & steering pump $1200 more. Just traded for a new Forester. Praying this one isn't possessed by demons!

The most boring car in known universe
By andysomogyi on 06/25/11 14:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I detest this car. Slow, gutless, handles like a barge and the gas milage is pitiful. Only reason I bought this pile of junk is that friend of mine wanted to get rid of it, and it was cheap. It has one of the worst transmissions I've ever driven, now I hate automatics, but this one is particularly bad. The gear ratios is bizarre, shifts are slow and sloppy, and 4'th is way too low. This is one of the worst handling cars I've ever driven, body roll is about as bad as a mid 70's Buick. Engine is truly gutless, and whats worse is given how pathetically slow this car is, the gas milage is even worse. I avg 15 city, and even with the most careful driving, best I can get is about 25 highway

100,000 miles of service---*wheel bearings
By eldee123 on 01/26/11 23:26 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I live in the mountains at Lake Tahoe. This car is more fun to drive up the mountain than my classic Corvette. The roof line is low enough to load my bikes on the roof rack. For some weird reason headlight bulbs don't last as long as you would expect. All owners need to know the warrantee on the wheel bearing problem is 100,000 miles. contact the Subaru mothership if a dealer won't fix it for free. I'm going for a 2011 now and that should last me the rest of my life :-}