Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Like a bad marriage. When it starts breaking, DUMP IT.
By freeskier118

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved my turbo Outback. It was absolutely bulletproof in the snow--unstoppable with snow tires. It was fun to drive with lots and lots of power. The interior is super comfortable. Unfortunately it did not love me back. Over the last year it was in the shop overnight at least 5 times for major engine and transmission repair. And on the turbo model, everything is more expensive to fix. A lot more expensive. If it would just hold together I would drive it into the ground. But in the end, it's just not worth bankrupting myself. It was great for a fling, terrible for the long haul. Now I read reviews from Honda drivers complaining about a $700 timing belt replacement and just laugh.

Best automobile
By krinara

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Subaru is "confidence in motion". I have owned many different brands, but the Subarus in that line up were the ones, that were the best bet for the money. The Outback 3.0 is the most reliable of the lot and I can say that I will always have a Subaru parked in my garage!

Favorite Features

Reliability AWD Easy maintenance good resale value Handling

Worst car ever owned
By david338

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Outback is a money pit. I guess I got a lemon. Does the mfg. replace lemons? Head gaskets need to be replaced (poor design). I have had to replace both front axles, CV joints, hubs right rear and front, bushings bearings, etc...... already put $2000 in and expecting to layout another $2000 (no joke). I would recommend buying a HONDA. Oh yeah my father in law bought a new outback and already had to replace front right CV. At least his was under warranty. Maybe I am the isolated anomaly but it still hurts.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and the green paint. Leather is nice as well.

Suggested Improvements

Where do I begin?

Great Snow vehicle but MAN the Oil leaks...
By junkyard2

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru and it will be my last. Pros: Fantastic AWD System, will flat out go in the snow ! Good gas mileage for a AWD, 27.5 highway, 23 city Easy to work on. Heated Windshield Cons: Cheap interior, Sub Standard factory Stereo System, Head Gasket leaks ! All 3 of my Outbacks have had head gasket issues, once they start leaking, they drip on the exhaust and the oil vapors come right in the fresh air ducts. If you buy one you WILL be eventually be putting head gaskets on it. At 120K miles, my steering rack is leaking oil bad, one head gasket is leaking and the cat converters are shot ($1860 at Subaru) I have a neighbor with a 2011 Outback that has oil leaks, BEWARE !

Favorite Features

AWD, Cold Weather Package

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the Boxer engine to fix the Oil leaks, Upgrade the cheesy, plastic interior

Going back to Toyota
By debafish

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had nothing but problems with my Subaru Outback since we bought it. We burn through breaks, head lights and the car smells of burnt rubber after minimal driving. When the ABS light came on I took it to the dealer and they couldn't diagnose it (they failed to mention I need to leave the car running with the light on to diagnose..so they said). Now that is has 104K miles they tell me it's the ball bearing, covered until 100K by warranty. Then the turbo went out, $1600 later it's still smoking when I drive. Today they tell me the head gasket is shot and it has two leaks. This car is a money pit. I04K miles and a lot of issues, I'm going back to Toyota.