2004 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Rock solid but a little boring

2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

Limited Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Rock solid but a little boring
By 3rdSubaru on

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the third Subaru I've owned. In 57,000 mi, I've yet to have a single problem. I have separate wheels for snow tires, and I put some sticky summer tires on the stock rims for summer driving. With snow tires, this car is unstoppable in the snow! I also have a full size 4x4 pickup truck, and this car easily out- performs it even in deep snow. You'd have to be a real idiot to get this car stuck. On dry (or wet) pavement, it handles nicely, but I wish they'd offer a more powerful engine. The 6-cylinder is OK, and I get a consistent 27mpg -- no complaints since I drive it pretty hard. My next car will probably be a BMW 335xi or an Audi S5, but the Subaru has served me well.

Favorite Features

Excellent AWD system for winter driving. Superb McIntosh stereo -- one of the finest audiophile car stereos on the market (sadly, no longer offered). Good gas mileage for an AWD car, but I'd gladly trade a few MPG for another 100hp.

Suggested Improvements

6-cylinder engine needs more power. 4-speed automatic transmission feels a little dated.