2004 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews 8

2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Great Vehicle
By F.Stipko on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm now on my 2nd Outback and cannot express satisfaction enough. Very capable in heavy snow and wet rods. Naturally no vehicle is trustworthy on ice, but I'll take the Outback over some of my past four wheel drives I've had regarding control of the unit. No need to worry about engaging in and out of four wheel drive as the All Wheel Drive is always there when you need it.

Don't get fooled by the Maint. Program
By jimflys on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I Love the Subaru. My '99 has over 145,000 on it no major problems excepted for the valve tap. I recently bought a '04 LL Bean. Very disappointed in their Maintanence program that comes with it. The maint. book calls for oil chances every 3500 miles but the program only covers every 7500. Go figure???

MY 2003 OUTBACK
By RICHVANWAG on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

THIS IS OUR SECOND OUTBACK--WE PUT 135000 ON A 1999. THIS CAR IS THE H6, WHICH IS A BIG IMPROVEMENT IN POWER. WE FOUND THE OLD ONE AND THIS NEW ONE TO BE BULLETPROOF. THE NEW ONE HAS HAD NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. WE HAVE DRIVEN IT 14,000 MILES IN LESS THAN SIX MONTHS, AND NOT A SINGLE COMPLAINT. IT GETS REASONABLY GOOD GAS MILEAGE (ABOUT 25 IF YOU HOLD IT TO 75MPH ON THE FREEWAY) DROPPING TO 23-24 IF YOU DRIVE IT 80-85, WHICH IT DOES COMFORTABLY. I DISLIKE THE NOISE LEVEL IN THE CABIN AT HIGHER SPEEDS. IT IS AN EXCELLENT SNOW CAR. THE HIGH CLEARANCE IS A REAL PLUS IN DEEP SNOW.

wind noise &poor defrosting
By naum on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great auto. Interior wind noise is driving me crazy. Poor defrosting

I LOVE IT!
By KATHY JUDGE on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I FEEL SAVE IN MY SUBARU. IT'S THE ONLY CAR I'LL EVER OWN. I HAD A 1999 AND JUST TRADED IT FOR A 2004. THE MILAGE SEEMS TO BE ALITTLE BETTER.

Do Not Buy a Subaru
By aml on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am driving a 2003 Subaru Outback Sedan with the new H-6 engine. My car has been in the shop 4 times in the last 18 months because of starting problems. (It was also in two other times for recalls unrelated to this issue.) Each time it goes in, the car is down for 3 days because the main computer has to be shipped back to the factory for re-programming.This was my first Subaru purchase and will be my last. I am disgusted with the Subaru product and with the dealership's service. Buyer Beware!

Great Car
By Capper on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very responsive, fun to drive, capable in the snow.

Good vehicle
By psteele on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

AWD imparts an amazing sense of stability in the rain, and the very taut (but supple)suspension has a Mercedes/Volvo feel to it. Way above expectations for a $22,000 vehicle. Will never go back to a non-AWD vehicle. In 90 days/2,500 miles, zero problems. Flawless fit & finish & build quality, for mechanicals and trim. We don't drive that fast in town & the base 4 cylinder and auto goes plenty fast enough for us. Ours is the base model, but we appreciate Subaru making the AWD, ABS, 4 wheel disk brakes standard across the line. A Passat or V70 with the same equipment would be $10,000 more.

Best Wagon on the market
By Laserhahn on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Car is fun to drive. Standard 4- cylinder engine has plenty of power, esp. at highway speeds. As for off- road performance, when was the last time you saw any new 4-wheel drive SUV taken off road, or an SUV in a rally race? If you want to go off-road, buy a Willie's. I don't think you can beat this car for $23,000.

My Outback
By Paul Marr on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My Outback is the first we have owned and has proven to be an excellant all round car wagon or SUV .lots of room for moving things yet very comfortable for long road trips.