Used 2004 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Best Car I've Ever Owned!!
By Big Dog

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my 97 Dodge Ram Pickup for this car. It was a dealer demo; had 6k on it when I got it, has 17k now. Car is awesome no problems at all. The 3.0 H-6 is a great engine, it has plenty of power to do the job and gets about 23 mpg, much better than the 13 mpg in my truck. The VDC is pretty cool; it gives you great confidence while driving. I turn it off in the snow and have some fun! The interior is great, leather heated seats and climate control plus the Macintosh stereo are all excellent. I love the wood grain trim and the sunroof is nice. It has a very comfortable ride and still performs excellent when pushed hard. As good or better than my mother's BMW 323 and girlfriend's Audi A-4.

Favorite Features

VDC AWD System, H-6s smooth acceleration, tight steering, exterior styling, 6-disc in dash.

Suggested Improvements

Better adjustability for heated seats, Remote trunk release, Turbo version of H-6.

great car but problems since day 1
By Michael Armani

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Really like the car, great all around vehicle. towing jet ski, hauling stuff, going thru snow, it does it all. However, idle problem with manual transmission model. Car out of service 6 days in first 2 weeks of ownership ! one fuel inj replaced. Idle and hesitation continued to be a problem. Very disappointed in both the dealer and Subarus willingness to sort.

Favorite Features

all wheel drive, heated seats, engine

Suggested Improvements

tranny hump not allowing right foot to line up directly on gas pedal is annoying. notch all around sunvisor so easy to get fingers behind.

Best alternative to SUV
By spokanewa

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car already; for one it can go up my 20% grade driveway, something my sebring convertible could not (when covered with snow). I don't like trucks/big suvs's and other ugly gas guzzlers, but wanted the big cargo. I don't think there are many cars with such a good gas mileage yet are as versatile. Storage is huge and roof cargo is easy to use (i.e. no need for a ladder to reach it). I don't find the car performance so bad; it's not nearly as smooth as the v6 i had on the Sebring, but it's more linear, power is the same at any RPM, whereas some V6 i tried like the Mazda 6 wagon only had punch at high RPM. Definitely more fun to drive that similar price small suv like RAV4 or CR-V.

Favorite Features

- Huge cargo (especially after folding seats) - All wheel drive - Handling just feels great, much better than the Sebring. - millage compare to suv's - de-icers - decent towing. - Utility car that doesn't drive like a 16 wheeler.

Suggested Improvements

- You can fold the rear seat back 60/40 but the seat bench bottom is one piece, so what's the use. you can't fold half and seat somebody on the other half ! - Alarm remote clicking against ignition area (fixed by adding longer keychain - Slideable back seat for more back seat room or more cargo.

My Favorite So Far
By WendyB

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 2 Foresters (that I really liked), I upgraded to the V6 Outback Sedan. It's really fun to drive, is very comfortable, and looks good too. The pick up is a little sluggish, but a world of difference better than the Foresters were.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and mirrors, V6 engine, OnStar.

Suggested Improvements

Remote trunk release, option of V6 with a manual transmission would be nice.

subaru outback
By Len Kitchen

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The only thing that I don't like is it is hard to get in and out of the drivers seat if you leave the seat in the drive position. Some would find that the power was lacking but I am fine with it. For the size of the car the fuel economy could be better. Everthing else like. It is a solid car that rides well and I have not had any problems at all with it. It goes anywhere and handles well and I would buy another one when this wears out which will be a long way down the road the way it is built.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive and handling. It is comfortible to drive and ride in even in the back seat. I can tow a small trailer with it which it does great.