Used 2004 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Subarules
By Long Hot Summer Days

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Outback. They are the most reliable cars. They are very versatile; you can haul the wife and 3 kids or drop the back seat and move desks, filing cabinets, etc. They are very desirable. Buy in the spring and sell at the first snow fall.

Favorite Features

Heated windshield under the wiper blades.

Suggested Improvements

Move the heated seat control; can get hit with a coffee cup.

I'll buy another
By Steve

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My first Outback will not be my last. We love it. Well built, good performance, great styling, and excellent integrity of body. I do not like the padding in the seats; too thin with not enough support. I am 6' tall and 155 pounds so that is not an issue. Also, we have had the fuel door freeze shut numerous times. That being said, I can find no other things that I do not like. We have the 4 liter H6 and it is very responsive. Thus far, it has been fault free and if it continues, as I think it should, we will have the car we have been looking for. Subaru has done it for us.

Favorite Features

Body style, quality and feel of strength of systems. Solid and dependable. Everything seems well built.

Suggested Improvements

Front seat padding is too thin and uncomfortable. Fuel door has frozen shut too many times.

Get Back to the Drawing Boards
By sfsailman

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What a dog this car is. Funny looking side panels, what are those about. Ever try to transport a dog in the back? No ventilation = unhappy pet. Cup holders are useless since they are too far back. And the thing auto shifts at the strangest times. Now it sounds like it's blowing its nose around 1500 RPM's. I'm going back to Toyota where I should have stayed. Give me back my Tacoma, please.

Favorite Features

Good resale value (I hope) cause its gotta go!

Suggested Improvements

Vent the back with push out windows or a roll down back window. Please don't ever put those goofy side panels that make it look like its been in an accident.

Good car
By Jerry Savaloja

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very good ride at expressway speeds. Good handling. Solidly built vehicle. Have not had it back to the dealer except for routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

Good ground clearance. Roomy, easy accessibility rear storage area.

Suggested Improvements

4 cylinder engine somewhat underpowered. Trip gas mileage at 25 miles/gallon.

Solid Subaru
By Vito

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this 04' Outback Limited as a leftover in 3/05. Got a super deal on it - apparently no one drives 5-speeds anymore. Subaru's are a super reliable and practical. I needed a car that was excellent in the snow but yet great on gas and roomy. I originally had a 2002 Nissan Sentra which was a great car but it was so light that it was all over the place in inclimate weather. I didn't feel like buying a 2nd car, like a little Nissan pickup. I've been a loyal Nissan customer since 1995, but the Subaru's make more sense to me. If you are considering one car that can really do it all check out any of the Subaru wagons, just not the Outbacks. The Standard Legacy wagons are probobly the best value.

Favorite Features

Smooth transmission. Great handling, although I'm not a great fan of Bridgestone Potenza's!

Suggested Improvements

Off the line Outbacks are not the quickest cars, however the are heavy. It could can use a few more horsepower. Just a minor improvement.