Used 2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 35th Anniversary Edition Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Mountain lion/Battle tank
By Ashwin

2004 Subaru Outback Wagon H6-3.0 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best AWD money can buy, I am so used to it now whenever I drive any other car it is always a comparison to an outback and everything else is disappointing, I specially like the solidly build chassis and suspension, wish there was little less body roll, I drove this car uphill in 1.5 feet of snow and it was like driving a battle tank, I love the sure footed handling, I tried a 4 wheel drive Passat and Volvo, BMW, Jeep, etc and nothing performs like it, I drove it in the mountains in Catskill all winter, I found many jeep 4x4 stuck in the same tracks as mine, love the robust engine. Cross country trip was so comfortable, no problems so far, I am at 100000 miles, VDC should be standard.

Solid h6 engine, sturdy, safe, heavy duty, nimble footed, significant power, excellent traction-built for bad weather, whenever there is storm I go out. But be careful when icy, it's beyond physics to be safe in ice roads even with awd. Like heated seats, heated, rear view, heated wiper bay.

Should have less body roll, should have standard vdc for vehicle this size/weight, not much use of awd in city on a good day, it just adds more momentum and drains power, better to have feature to turn awd off for NYC, stop n go driving, better if uses 87 octane fuel, abs not good on icy roads.

I'll buy another
By Steve

My first Outback will not be my last. We love it. Well built, good performance, great styling, and excellent integrity of body. I do not like the padding in the seats; too thin with not enough support. I am 6' tall and 155 pounds so that is not an issue. Also, we have had the fuel door freeze shut numerous times. That being said, I can find no other things that I do not like. We have the 4 liter H6 and it is very responsive. Thus far, it has been fault free and if it continues, as I think it should, we will have the car we have been looking for. Subaru has done it for us.

Body style, quality and feel of strength of systems. Solid and dependable. Everything seems well built.

Front seat padding is too thin and uncomfortable. Fuel door has frozen shut too many times.

A good solid vehicle
By Lrac

A generally smooth driving, fuel economic vehicle. Some wind noise over 60MPH. I find the driver's seat to be a bit uncomfortable ( pressure on right buttock), and can't get rid of it with the seat adjustment. The sound system (McIntosh) is great. Fit and finishare OK, but there was a scratch on the windshield from the wiper blade from the start.

The dual moonroofs.

The compass should be a standard feature in a vehicle with this price. We go over some rough dirt roads. Better soundproofing would be nice.

35 th Special Ed
By LLBen

So far so good, we also have a 3 year old Forester that has been A++. I wish the Outback was just a little larger inside.

H-6 and AWD

MY 2003 OUTBACK
By RICHVANWAG

THIS IS OUR SECOND OUTBACK--WE PUT 135000 ON A 1999. THIS CAR IS THE H6, WHICH IS A BIG IMPROVEMENT IN POWER. WE FOUND THE OLD ONE AND THIS NEW ONE TO BE BULLETPROOF. THE NEW ONE HAS HAD NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. WE HAVE DRIVEN IT 14,000 MILES IN LESS THAN SIX MONTHS, AND NOT A SINGLE COMPLAINT. IT GETS REASONABLY GOOD GAS MILEAGE (ABOUT 25 IF YOU HOLD IT TO 75MPH ON THE FREEWAY) DROPPING TO 23-24 IF YOU DRIVE IT 80-85, WHICH IT DOES COMFORTABLY. I DISLIKE THE NOISE LEVEL IN THE CABIN AT HIGHER SPEEDS. IT IS AN EXCELLENT SNOW CAR. THE HIGH CLEARANCE IS A REAL PLUS IN DEEP SNOW.

I LIKE THE NEW ENGINE MUCH BETTER THAN THE FOUR CYLINDAR. I LIKE THE DEPENDABILITY. THE NEW ENGINE IS JUST A MUCH BETTER PACKAGE. I ALSO LIKE THE WAY THE INTERIOR HOLDS UP--THINK IT IS THE BEST VALUE AROUND FOR WHAT YOU GET.

THE SIX IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE TOP END LLBEAN MODEL AND IN THE LOWER END. WE BOUGHT THE LOWER END AND WANTED THE LEATHER INTERIOR, SO HAD TO HAVE IT INSTALLED. THEY NEED TO REVISIT THE AVALABLITY OF THE SIX IN ALL MODELS. SUBARU NEEDS TO WORK ON THE NOISE LEVEL IN THE INTERIOR.