2004 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Mountain lion/Battle tank
By Ashwin on 03/19/09 22:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback Wagon H6-3.0 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best AWD money can buy, I am so used to it now whenever I drive any other car it is always a comparison to an outback and everything else is disappointing, I specially like the solidly build chassis and suspension, wish there was little less body roll, I drove this car uphill in 1.5 feet of snow and it was like driving a battle tank, I love the sure footed handling, I tried a 4 wheel drive Passat and Volvo, BMW, Jeep, etc and nothing performs like it, I drove it in the mountains in Catskill all winter, I found many jeep 4x4 stuck in the same tracks as mine, love the robust engine. Cross country trip was so comfortable, no problems so far, I am at 100000 miles, VDC should be standard.

I'll buy another
By Steve on 12/29/05 08:25 AM (PST)

My first Outback will not be my last. We love it. Well built, good performance, great styling, and excellent integrity of body. I do not like the padding in the seats; too thin with not enough support. I am 6' tall and 155 pounds so that is not an issue. Also, we have had the fuel door freeze shut numerous times. That being said, I can find no other things that I do not like. We have the 4 liter H6 and it is very responsive. Thus far, it has been fault free and if it continues, as I think it should, we will have the car we have been looking for. Subaru has done it for us.

A good solid vehicle
By Lrac on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

A generally smooth driving, fuel economic vehicle. Some wind noise over 60MPH. I find the driver's seat to be a bit uncomfortable ( pressure on right buttock), and can't get rid of it with the seat adjustment. The sound system (McIntosh) is great. Fit and finishare OK, but there was a scratch on the windshield from the wiper blade from the start.

35 th Special Ed
By LLBen on 01/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

So far so good, we also have a 3 year old Forester that has been A++. I wish the Outback was just a little larger inside.

MY 2003 OUTBACK
By RICHVANWAG on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

THIS IS OUR SECOND OUTBACK--WE PUT 135000 ON A 1999. THIS CAR IS THE H6, WHICH IS A BIG IMPROVEMENT IN POWER. WE FOUND THE OLD ONE AND THIS NEW ONE TO BE BULLETPROOF. THE NEW ONE HAS HAD NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. WE HAVE DRIVEN IT 14,000 MILES IN LESS THAN SIX MONTHS, AND NOT A SINGLE COMPLAINT. IT GETS REASONABLY GOOD GAS MILEAGE (ABOUT 25 IF YOU HOLD IT TO 75MPH ON THE FREEWAY) DROPPING TO 23-24 IF YOU DRIVE IT 80-85, WHICH IT DOES COMFORTABLY. I DISLIKE THE NOISE LEVEL IN THE CABIN AT HIGHER SPEEDS. IT IS AN EXCELLENT SNOW CAR. THE HIGH CLEARANCE IS A REAL PLUS IN DEEP SNOW.

Pleased to the Nth
By Twigaduma on 11/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

The LL Bean is on "special" edition that really is special. We are really enjoying this car and were very pleased with the salesman and dealership. This is a beautiful fun car for all the family.

4 vs 6
By weldonm on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

If you think the 2.5 is what you want, don't drive the H6-3.0. We drove both, no doubt about it, the H6-3.0 is heads and shoulders above the 2.5. The Special edition is very well equipped and has plenty of spunk. The vehicle is solid and handles as well as any I've tried. We are very pleased with the quality and we look forward to snowy weather.