Used 2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 VDC Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Unhappy owner
By CEP

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Based on my experience with this vehicle, I will never again purchase or recommend a Subaru vehicle. At 50,000 miles, so many items began to fail. Six air conditioning repairs, both CV boots burned up because of a design problem, then at 78,000 miles, all the struts needed to be replaced. I am still paying on this vehicle and spend on average another $4000/year to maintain it in good working order. Now the finish on the fiberglass bumper is peeling, the engine continually has a burning odor that can't be identified, and the AC still freezes after a 200 mile trip in the heat. The car is a disaster.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality, quality, quality.

Rock solid but a little boring
By 3rdSubaru

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third Subaru I've owned. In 57,000 mi, I've yet to have a single problem. I have separate wheels for snow tires, and I put some sticky summer tires on the stock rims for summer driving. With snow tires, this car is unstoppable in the snow! I also have a full size 4x4 pickup truck, and this car easily out- performs it even in deep snow. You'd have to be a real idiot to get this car stuck. On dry (or wet) pavement, it handles nicely, but I wish they'd offer a more powerful engine. The 6-cylinder is OK, and I get a consistent 27mpg -- no complaints since I drive it pretty hard. My next car will probably be a BMW 335xi or an Audi S5, but the Subaru has served me well.

Favorite Features

Excellent AWD system for winter driving. Superb McIntosh stereo -- one of the finest audiophile car stereos on the market (sadly, no longer offered). Good gas mileage for an AWD car, but I'd gladly trade a few MPG for another 100hp.

Suggested Improvements

6-cylinder engine needs more power. 4-speed automatic transmission feels a little dated.

I love my Subaru
By SMILLW

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This can is great for all situations. I drive in the city, and have taken it on the highway too. Its ride is smooth and the handling is great. The best test of this car is winter weather and it handles like a dream. That AWD really works.

Favorite Features

Winter handling and smooth ride is the most important feature to me on this car and in these areas it rates an A+.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes seemed to wear down quickly, but are good now. Also the plastic knobs on the air conditioner and radio controls cheapen the look.

No Reason To Buy High-End
By Jim

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The functionality of the Outback is great -- hauling bikes; moving friends; loading up my band gear. It does this well while remaining a practical urban car (read: easy to park). However, the VDC has failed 5 times -- each time while in the Sierras during a snow fall! Isn't that when I would most need it? Also, McIntosh has failed twice (radio reception is horrible). The two reasons for why I bought the upgraded Outback are both failing ... why did I spend that money?

Favorite Features

Nothing is outstanding. Good, functional car, and the H6 has good power (odd transmission), but the H6 can be bought for less than you'd spend on a VDC.

Suggested Improvements

A high-end stereo that won't fail every 10 months. Vehicle dynamics that work in SNOW! A dealer service department that can correctly reattach a dashboard ... maybe I'm being picky?

Best Car I've Ever Owned!!
By Big Dog

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my 97 Dodge Ram Pickup for this car. It was a dealer demo; had 6k on it when I got it, has 17k now. Car is awesome no problems at all. The 3.0 H-6 is a great engine, it has plenty of power to do the job and gets about 23 mpg, much better than the 13 mpg in my truck. The VDC is pretty cool; it gives you great confidence while driving. I turn it off in the snow and have some fun! The interior is great, leather heated seats and climate control plus the Macintosh stereo are all excellent. I love the wood grain trim and the sunroof is nice. It has a very comfortable ride and still performs excellent when pushed hard. As good or better than my mother's BMW 323 and girlfriend's Audi A-4.

Favorite Features

VDC AWD System, H-6s smooth acceleration, tight steering, exterior styling, 6-disc in dash.

Suggested Improvements

Better adjustability for heated seats, Remote trunk release, Turbo version of H-6.