Used 2004 Subaru Outback Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Unhappy owner
By CEP

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Based on my experience with this vehicle, I will never again purchase or recommend a Subaru vehicle. At 50,000 miles, so many items began to fail. Six air conditioning repairs, both CV boots burned up because of a design problem, then at 78,000 miles, all the struts needed to be replaced. I am still paying on this vehicle and spend on average another $4000/year to maintain it in good working order. Now the finish on the fiberglass bumper is peeling, the engine continually has a burning odor that can't be identified, and the AC still freezes after a 200 mile trip in the heat. The car is a disaster.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality, quality, quality.

Rock solid but a little boring
By 3rdSubaru

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third Subaru I've owned. In 57,000 mi, I've yet to have a single problem. I have separate wheels for snow tires, and I put some sticky summer tires on the stock rims for summer driving. With snow tires, this car is unstoppable in the snow! I also have a full size 4x4 pickup truck, and this car easily out- performs it even in deep snow. You'd have to be a real idiot to get this car stuck. On dry (or wet) pavement, it handles nicely, but I wish they'd offer a more powerful engine. The 6-cylinder is OK, and I get a consistent 27mpg -- no complaints since I drive it pretty hard. My next car will probably be a BMW 335xi or an Audi S5, but the Subaru has served me well.

Favorite Features

Excellent AWD system for winter driving. Superb McIntosh stereo -- one of the finest audiophile car stereos on the market (sadly, no longer offered). Good gas mileage for an AWD car, but I'd gladly trade a few MPG for another 100hp.

Suggested Improvements

6-cylinder engine needs more power. 4-speed automatic transmission feels a little dated.

Buy an '04, not newer body style
By Happy

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If you're shopping for a used Subaru, buy an '04. Very dependable car, no trouble. Mine has more than 100K miles and getting 27 mpg. According to a local Subaru mechanic, '04 is the best year for Subarus. Run from the '05s. See my review for our '05 Outback XT under title "Money Pit". It's hard to believe the cars are from the same manufacturer. The '04 has been a perfect car and the '05 was a horribly expensive nightmare. We're keeping the '04 and plan to put another 100K miles on it.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive handling, seat heater, windshield heater, dependable, 27 mpg. I really enjoy driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Not enough room for right foot on accelerator; my foot gets hot because it has to press against engine wall. Back seat should lay down for pass- through from trunk to carry big objects.

Great Car
By John

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great car. We wanted a car that was a little different from what most people are driving and felt we succeeded. We've had it dealer maintained and haven't had to do anything other than routine maintenance. We just finished a cross country trip in it and it was comfortable and smooth. Averaged 28-29 mpg on the trip.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats. CD player that holds 6 CDs - great for listening to books.

I love my Subaru
By SMILLW

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This can is great for all situations. I drive in the city, and have taken it on the highway too. Its ride is smooth and the handling is great. The best test of this car is winter weather and it handles like a dream. That AWD really works.

Favorite Features

Winter handling and smooth ride is the most important feature to me on this car and in these areas it rates an A+.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes seemed to wear down quickly, but are good now. Also the plastic knobs on the air conditioner and radio controls cheapen the look.