Used 2004 Subaru Outback Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Won over!
By Brad

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned and driven many different makes of cars and trucks and non of them new, and this one has won me over to Subaru. It has its quirks that many people have listed as major problems, but if you are buying a used car or any car there are the ups and downs. With this one, there are a few, in the gearing there is a lurching at a low speed if you don't feather the clutch right, I am a larger fellow and it can be difficult to get in and out of and in winter with a coat it is annoying, there is a flaw in the design of the fender panels that leads to a rotting problem in the steel, and for the life of me I don't know why they don't give the wheels more clearance it packs snow like crazy! However with all of that I must say the thing performs! I have climbed hills where other AWD and 4x4 vehicles ended up in the ditch, any problem I have had with it is nothing I haven't seen worse in other used vehicles and most of the time come's down to general maintenance, any company produces its lemons, and I must say I haven't had cause to deal with a Subaru customer service, never owning a car new enough to be under any warranty, but I trust this vehicle to get me to where I need to go no matter the obstruction.

Unhappy owner
By CEP

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Based on my experience with this vehicle, I will never again purchase or recommend a Subaru vehicle. At 50,000 miles, so many items began to fail. Six air conditioning repairs, both CV boots burned up because of a design problem, then at 78,000 miles, all the struts needed to be replaced. I am still paying on this vehicle and spend on average another $4000/year to maintain it in good working order. Now the finish on the fiberglass bumper is peeling, the engine continually has a burning odor that can't be identified, and the AC still freezes after a 200 mile trip in the heat. The car is a disaster.

Improve quality, quality, quality.

Rock solid but a little boring
By 3rdSubaru

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third Subaru I've owned. In 57,000 mi, I've yet to have a single problem. I have separate wheels for snow tires, and I put some sticky summer tires on the stock rims for summer driving. With snow tires, this car is unstoppable in the snow! I also have a full size 4x4 pickup truck, and this car easily out- performs it even in deep snow. You'd have to be a real idiot to get this car stuck. On dry (or wet) pavement, it handles nicely, but I wish they'd offer a more powerful engine. The 6-cylinder is OK, and I get a consistent 27mpg -- no complaints since I drive it pretty hard. My next car will probably be a BMW 335xi or an Audi S5, but the Subaru has served me well.

Excellent AWD system for winter driving. Superb McIntosh stereo -- one of the finest audiophile car stereos on the market (sadly, no longer offered). Good gas mileage for an AWD car, but I'd gladly trade a few MPG for another 100hp.

6-cylinder engine needs more power. 4-speed automatic transmission feels a little dated.

Buy an '04, not newer body style
By Happy

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If you're shopping for a used Subaru, buy an '04. Very dependable car, no trouble. Mine has more than 100K miles and getting 27 mpg. According to a local Subaru mechanic, '04 is the best year for Subarus. Run from the '05s. See my review for our '05 Outback XT under title "Money Pit". It's hard to believe the cars are from the same manufacturer. The '04 has been a perfect car and the '05 was a horribly expensive nightmare. We're keeping the '04 and plan to put another 100K miles on it.

All wheel drive handling, seat heater, windshield heater, dependable, 27 mpg. I really enjoy driving it.

Not enough room for right foot on accelerator; my foot gets hot because it has to press against engine wall. Back seat should lay down for pass- through from trunk to carry big objects.

Great Car
By John

2004 Subaru Outback Sedan Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great car. We wanted a car that was a little different from what most people are driving and felt we succeeded. We've had it dealer maintained and haven't had to do anything other than routine maintenance. We just finished a cross country trip in it and it was comfortable and smooth. Averaged 28-29 mpg on the trip.

Heated leather seats. CD player that holds 6 CDs - great for listening to books.