2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Good but Not Exciting
By christy on 04/10/06 13:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It is a decent car. It performs very well in snow -- better than our 4x4 rig. It is, well, just boring. But it is good.

Solid Subaru
By Vito on 03/18/05 12:16 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought this 04' Outback Limited as a leftover in 3/05. Got a super deal on it - apparently no one drives 5-speeds anymore. Subaru's are a super reliable and practical. I needed a car that was excellent in the snow but yet great on gas and roomy. I originally had a 2002 Nissan Sentra which was a great car but it was so light that it was all over the place in inclimate weather. I didn't feel like buying a 2nd car, like a little Nissan pickup. I've been a loyal Nissan customer since 1995, but the Subaru's make more sense to me. If you are considering one car that can really do it all check out any of the Subaru wagons, just not the Outbacks. The Standard Legacy wagons are probobly the best value.

Subaru Outback Manual Defect
By chrosb on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

BEWARE!!! Serious problems with inability to maintain stable engine speed when going from no throttle to very slight throttle and back, most noticeable in low gear, when looking for a parking spot, for example. Also apparent using cruise control at freeway speeds. Results in neck- jerking acceleration and deceleration. Quite annoying, if not seriously unsafe. Passengers notice and comment on problem. Test drive carefully. We didn't and now find that it is typical of all Outback manual transmission cars. Dealer says it's "normal."