2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Buy an '04, not newer body style
By Happy on 10/04/07 11:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If you're shopping for a used Subaru, buy an '04. Very dependable car, no trouble. Mine has more than 100K miles and getting 27 mpg. According to a local Subaru mechanic, '04 is the best year for Subarus. Run from the '05s. See my review for our '05 Outback XT under title "Money Pit". It's hard to believe the cars are from the same manufacturer. The '04 has been a perfect car and the '05 was a horribly expensive nightmare. We're keeping the '04 and plan to put another 100K miles on it.

Excellent performance and comfort
By Jazzcat423 on 07/21/06 11:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru. I wish I had gotten it years ago.

My Favorite So Far
By WendyB on 12/03/04 15:21 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 2 Foresters (that I really liked), I upgraded to the V6 Outback Sedan. It's really fun to drive, is very comfortable, and looks good too. The pick up is a little sluggish, but a world of difference better than the Foresters were.

This car delivers!
By taspz on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru and second Outback. The 3.0 Outback sedan is a great car to drive and enjoy, a class up from the 4 cylinder wagon. It is plush inside with excellent climate control and a fantastic sound system. It combines typical Outback clearance and AWD comfort and safety on wet roads with smooth, quiet performance. It rivals cars that are far more expensive, as it is equally loaded. I love driving it.

Excellent
By emd on 04/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have driven this car for one month Very comfortable heated adjustable leather seats some wind noise good visibiity great controls great sound system feels very safe a little slow in accelerating

Engine Trouble
By Clooney on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love teh car most of the time, but it keeps shutting off without warning while driving slow or at a stand still. Subaru so far hasn't been able to find the problem or fix it.

H6 verses the 4 cyl
By wankie on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had a 2001 Outback 4 cyl, which was a good car. Having traded to the H-6 in 03,it feels like a different car, suttle differences emerge over time. Corners much better, and rolling acceleration, for passing are night and day better. Here in Boise, I can now keep ahead of the mad Truck Drivers.Or at least,Get away from them.

Do Not Buy a Subaru
By aml on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am driving a 2003 Subaru Outback Sedan with the new H-6 engine. My car has been in the shop 4 times in the last 18 months because of starting problems. (It was also in two other times for recalls unrelated to this issue.) Each time it goes in, the car is down for 3 days because the main computer has to be shipped back to the factory for re-programming.This was my first Subaru purchase and will be my last. I am disgusted with the Subaru product and with the dealership's service. Buyer Beware!

Great Car
By Capper on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very responsive, fun to drive, capable in the snow.