2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
6 Years Old and 125k miles
By CT Dave on 05/04/10 08:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a workhorse, grocery getter, commuter car, and family truckster for us. It still runs great and we hope to get 200k out of it. The exterior has held up well. The car has been dependable.

Good for snow, but thirsty and noisy
By Raj on 04/26/10 19:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fairly spacious little wagon that works well for our family of four and dog. The car shines in the snow, which we've had plenty of the last two winters. The reliability has not been so impressive - frozen calipers, broken primary pulley - and the clutch is pitifully heavy. The engine is torquey but thirsty - lots of sub-20 mpg tanks around town this winter. During the summer, I dream of selling the thing, but it's effectiveness in the snow keeps it in the family (for now).

Noisy low mileage sub
By leon on 04/16/10 15:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This sub is fun to drive and responsive, but it gives very low mileage as compared to our sienna awd which gives 23+ mi/hwy; the side mirror makes swooshing sound and suspension --the thug sound. I only have 40,000 miles to date.

The balance I need for my family
By jszilvagyi on 04/12/10 18:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has offered the perfect balance of performance, comfort, fuel economy and reliability for my family. I have experienced cars that are better in one or two categories but this has been perfect for loading up my family for week long road trips as well as my daily commute.

Unhappy owner
By CEP on 03/11/10 15:16 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Based on my experience with this vehicle, I will never again purchase or recommend a Subaru vehicle. At 50,000 miles, so many items began to fail. Six air conditioning repairs, both CV boots burned up because of a design problem, then at 78,000 miles, all the struts needed to be replaced. I am still paying on this vehicle and spend on average another $4000/year to maintain it in good working order. Now the finish on the fiberglass bumper is peeling, the engine continually has a burning odor that can't be identified, and the AC still freezes after a 200 mile trip in the heat. The car is a disaster.

Stay with Toyota
By Andrew on 02/10/10 07:03 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 3 months ago and there has been nothing but problems. It was checked out before I bought it with 82000 miles, and everything was good. But it has been in the shop 5 times now since I've owned it. I'm going to sell it as fast as possible and buy another Toyota Tacoma.. I'm never buying subaru again...

Second of Many Subarus!
By Teenbiker on 02/07/10 09:57 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is an absolutely amazing car. Bought it this November and it far surpasses the 97 Outback Limited that it replaced. The 97 was a 2.5H4, so the upgrade to the H6 LLBean is unreal. Such a smooth engine, lots of power, and the transmission is light years better. The interior is beautiful: wood, leather, 2 sunroofs! The gas mileage hasn't been too bad either. Since the car has only been with us in winter cold temperatures and with winter-blend gas, I'd say 19mpg is pretty good. The '97 got 17mpg in cold temperatures, so I'm very pleased. We put in regular gas with no difference in the drivability of the car. This car is AMAZING in snow too! This is no doubt my second of many Subarus!

First and last Subaru for me
By MarcusCaudill on 01/29/10 20:42 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because of the reputation for reliability. Wrong. Alternator failed at 60k miles. Multiple battery replacements. Brakes way too soon. Engine bearing failure at 90k miles. This car was driven on the highway, and was maintained better than required by Subaru. Be wise and drive something else.

Wonderful car!
By Isaac on 12/29/09 14:09 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We live in Colorado so this Subaru really gets tested during the winter and long trips up to the mountains. For the 3 years we have had it it has had zero problems with the vehicle and the 4 cylinder boxer engine runs fantastic.

Mountain lion/Battle tank
By Ashwin on 03/19/09 22:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best AWD money can buy, I am so used to it now whenever I drive any other car it is always a comparison to an outback and everything else is disappointing, I specially like the solidly build chassis and suspension, wish there was little less body roll, I drove this car uphill in 1.5 feet of snow and it was like driving a battle tank, I love the sure footed handling, I tried a 4 wheel drive Passat and Volvo, BMW, Jeep, etc and nothing performs like it, I drove it in the mountains in Catskill all winter, I found many jeep 4x4 stuck in the same tracks as mine, love the robust engine. Cross country trip was so comfortable, no problems so far, I am at 100000 miles, VDC should be standard.