Used 2004 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

6 Years Old and 125k miles
By CT Dave

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a workhorse, grocery getter, commuter car, and family truckster for us. It still runs great and we hope to get 200k out of it. The exterior has held up well. The car has been dependable.

1) All wheel drive allows us to make it through any kind of weather, even the plows follow us. 2) Sound system is nice. 3) fit and finish are better than most brands. 4) heated leather seats

1) Seats are low, not so comfortable on very long trips. 2) The 4-speed transmission seems dated. 3) H-6 engine requires premium fuel, pricey? 4) The car seems narrow, wish it were 3 inches wider.

Good for snow, but thirsty and noisy
By Raj

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fairly spacious little wagon that works well for our family of four and dog. The car shines in the snow, which we've had plenty of the last two winters. The reliability has not been so impressive - frozen calipers, broken primary pulley - and the clutch is pitifully heavy. The engine is torquey but thirsty - lots of sub-20 mpg tanks around town this winter. During the summer, I dream of selling the thing, but it's effectiveness in the snow keeps it in the family (for now).

Heated seats, AWD system, stereo, torque of the 2.5 L motor. Nice factory roof rack and plenty of space in the rear. Rugged cloth seats are comfortable and hide the dirt from kids and dogs.

Reverse engineer Honda's clutches and use what you learn in the Outback. Same for gearbox (more like a gearbag). Add a sixth gear or raise the final drive ratio - thing spins 3000 rpm at speed limit on the highway. Sort out exhaust rattles.

Noisy low mileage sub
By leon

2004 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This sub is fun to drive and responsive, but it gives very low mileage as compared to our sienna awd which gives 23+ mi/hwy; the side mirror makes swooshing sound and suspension --the thug sound. I only have 40,000 miles to date.

responsive and powerful

better mileage, and low noise suspension and side mirrors

The balance I need for my family
By jszilvagyi

2004 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has offered the perfect balance of performance, comfort, fuel economy and reliability for my family. I have experienced cars that are better in one or two categories but this has been perfect for loading up my family for week long road trips as well as my daily commute.

Subaru's AWD system is still the best I've experienced (also driven Audi and BMW). The car clearly communicates what the wheels are passing over without being rough. It is more agile than I would have expected from a car weighing as much as it does.

I would sacrifice some of the performance for better fuel economy by getting taller gears. I don't like that the engine runs at 3.5k rpm at 60 mph. I believe there is enough torque that it could handle these speeds at 2.8k or so and be more pleasant inside.

Unhappy owner
By CEP

2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Based on my experience with this vehicle, I will never again purchase or recommend a Subaru vehicle. At 50,000 miles, so many items began to fail. Six air conditioning repairs, both CV boots burned up because of a design problem, then at 78,000 miles, all the struts needed to be replaced. I am still paying on this vehicle and spend on average another $4000/year to maintain it in good working order. Now the finish on the fiberglass bumper is peeling, the engine continually has a burning odor that can't be identified, and the AC still freezes after a 200 mile trip in the heat. The car is a disaster.

Improve quality, quality, quality.