Used 2003 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Made me love Subaru cars
By Denise

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have enjoyed this car, bought in 2006 at 130000 miles. Now we have 284000 and it is still driving like new.

Just a great car. 175k miles and going strong.
By BrewCar

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Owned for 10 years, now at 175k miles. It loves the rain and snow... this AWD beast is simply unstoppable no matter the weather. In the winter, I put on Blizzak WS-70's, and it just sticks to the road (snow/slush/ice, bring it!). Driver position on wet freeways is like Goldilocks, just right, and you're above the tire spray. I'm now spoiled with having seat heaters, fog lamps, and wiper defrost. Power has always been fine - I didn't buy it to be a muscle car. Only problems have been occasional oil leaks - valve cover, then oil pan seal. The brakes need changing about every 15 months, but it only takes about 20 minutes per axle and is dirt simple (yay disc brakes!!!). A bit of wind noise at freeway speeds, but some window seal restorer helps. I've now handed her off to a college bound kid without worry; I'm certain this ride has at least another 125k miles in her. My only real complaint was that I stayed with the stock speakers for the first 5 years - what a difference aftermarket makes!

Wow, where do I start?
By jillreyna

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2003 H6 V3.0 with just 119,000 miles on it. It is hard to put this car and "reliable" together in the same sentence, not to mention that dealers in my area do not stock many parts for it. Averaging around $450+ per simple repair, after shopping around some. I would buy any other Subaru, but any reader who finds this a good car value is welcome to make me an offer. One-owner Arizona vehicle, driven by senior person. Maintained to point of exhaustion.

Good visibility, reasonably good interior space.

Improve front passenger seat comfort, reduce wind and road noise. Supply dedicated mechanic with vehicle.

The Best as long as its an H6
By rberkhei

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Subaru has long been the go-to for reliability and dependability for those who know of it. Perhaps these vehicles are the best kept secret or perhaps I'm the only one who needs a car monday-friday and a capable awd vehicle with ground clearance which can hold two kayaks and go anywhere in all weather conditions on the weekends. Set aside its diversity, these vehicles are incredibly safe and undoubtedly reliable. Add in heated leather seats, dual sunroof, premium sound, de-icing wiper blades, the torque of the 6-cyl engine coupled with the handling and some all weather mats, this granny wagon is capable of anything and loves a rough stretch of road! 220k miles and counting.

Some knarley looking tow hooks would be awesome! I love pulling f250's out of ditches when traveling to work in 4+ inches of snow.

Its taken me to the moon..now I want to come back
By gowest2

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ok. So I am a died in the wool subaru fan but will make no bones about the fact that the H4 (2.5 liter models during these years and current models) have a BOATLOAD of head gasket problems. Their failure rate is very high. I happen to be lucky enough to have the 3.0 H6. I have just about 270k now and it still runs great and burns no oil. I maintain it well and do all the maintenance repairs myself. Have had no major repairs as of yet.

Pros: The damn thing costs me pennies to drive when I really do the math..cuz it simply just keeps tickin. The awd is on par with other world class systems such as audi. With snow tires I cannot suggest a better car to drive in snow/ice conditions. Handles very well for a wagon. Oh...yeah..and it's a wagon! I still don't understand why Americans don't like wagons for the most part. Call me crazy...I love em! Overall I'd but another one tomorrow if I have too. I just hope the new 3.6 H6 is as reliable as this one!

Cons: Very cramped. Not a great car to stretch out in. Wind noise from the flawed mirror design. Marginal mpg (around 20 around town). The ABS system sucks with this car. I had to disable mine as I would simply rather not have it than have a poorly working system. Maybe the new models have these issues fixes...I hope.

• SUV