2003 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
They don't build them like they used to!
By l43 on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The new Subbie has some nice features (heated mirrors and wipers, built in CD changer), but the quality of my new Outback Limited is not up to the level of previous Subarus. The car is very noisy (wind & road noise) and has less power on hills than my old '92 which still runs like a champ. Also the body cladding is becoming a very high maintenance item. While paint quality has never been a Subaru high point, the cladding on the Outback is a real pain. Rather that using a color impregnated plastic, Subaru paints the plastic body panels with a paint (water color?) which is not at all durable.

The perfect family wagon
By alinki on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. It has everthing you need.

VDC good enough?
By RACCAR on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really love this car. A 2001 VDC wagon. Handles to well in all weather. I tried to get it stuck in snow this winter. Couldnt. Great at high speeds. The VDC works better than the reviews suggest. However, my wife wants me to find another car. She cant get comfortable in the leather seats. I agree. They are hard as rock, and a car upholsterer says he cant improve it. Dealer said its the only real flaw with the car. We take long week end trips, and this really is an issue.

Great, with a lot of wind noise
By Rideabout on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2003 Outback limited: - Smooth engine and ride feeling. - Good handling. - Overall good interior design with the exception of the bulky dash which stands out towards the driver. - Gearbox sound less painfull and less stressed under any accelleration than the previous model. - Wind noise is a big irritaion from the side mirrors a roof rack especially for a vehicle of this price range.

Nice car
By Dutch on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Audio System (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru , and I am impressed. Nice smooth ride, good milage. Got the leather seats etc. paid $ 25925. 4 cyl provides plenty of power.

Love it
By markrover on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very unique design - a car that does not look like any other. I received compliments from strangers about it. It combines that practicality of a station wagon, while still very fun to drive. Very solidly built (a rare attribute today). The bumpers are not simply painted like so many cars are today, so that stratches to it do not show.

Great Dogmobile!!
By Lorvamp on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Subaru. Previously I brought a used 1987 Subaru GL 4WD wagon. I love to go camping and have 2 dogs. It had 104,000 miles on it and when I sold it there was 155,000 miles. The small engine was fine around the city but lacked the oomph to pass on trucks on up-hill 2 lane roads with the a/c going. No major problems. I brought a new Outback because I wanted more power and wanted the AWD to go on some really bad forest service roads. It's great. The car has the power to pass even up-hill. The ride is smooth and comfortable. I am a lead to metal type of driver and get 27 MPG on my camping/flyfishing trips.

2003 outback
By dmaher on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have found the outback to be one of the best cars i have ever purchased. The ride is comfortable, the milage great, and the all-wheel drive just pulled me through a major snowfall. When other cars couldn't stay on the road, the outback not only kept going, but was remarkably stable and gave no hint of losing traction. On my last trip the Outback got 28 mph despite above 70mph driving. I would buy another without hesitation.

What I like About Subarus
By vladkoval on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I like this car because it is fun to drive. It is not that big and it has all wheel drive system.

Super smooth ride
By mikefromny on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Having previously owned a 1997 Outback Limited I was expecting another terrific Subaru in my 2003 LL Bean. Boy were my expectations exceeded by the unbelievable smooth and comfortable ride of my new Subaru.