Used 2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Made for Minnesota
By car lover

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have test driven this car many times and when I finally moved north I bought a certified used one. I don't drive off road, so I just love this car so much that I'm going to buy a new one, the Legacy Wagon which is set up a little more for street driving. I used to have a Mercedes C230 Sport, and this car drives just like that. Can't wait for the new one, but at 43,000 miles, heated seats, and all the comforts I need, I can wait happily for a fair price before making the change. Kind of a cargo hauling-sports car- family-suv and more all purpose comfort car without the SUV pickup truck mileage. I get 25- 29mpg. I'll miss it, but not much has changed with the new ones.

Favorite Features

Seats, AWD, roominess, handling,

overall great vehicle
By Light

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Subaru has proven again to be a terrific car in all the most important levels. Interior design is still in the works (this being our second Outback over the last six years). The driving safety and ease we rate the highest. This car has prevented accidents and is a great bad weather car. We take it off road and it is amazing. It is easy to maintain and has been totally reliable. We love the looks and feel of our Legacy Outback. We will remain loyal Subaru owners. The driver's and forward passenger windows are noisy(wind type noise), with was the case with our first Subaru also. They maybe able to be adjusted. Other than that, we are totally and utterly happy with this car

Favorite Features

SAFETY, HANDLING, and EASE of driving and maintenance. We love the heated seats as a comfort factor. Our car has nearly driven itself on some car trips of over 1,000 miles. We can't say enough about how much we love our Legacy Outback.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders and their placement are a big improvement over our 2000 model. We would suggest the forward roll down window design be reviewed. Both our 2000 and 2003 models have developed window noises while driving. PLEASE someone address this issue this makes trips not nearly as peaceful.

Like my Outback
By J. Coulter

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been really pleased with my Outback in general. The only problem I have had with driving it is going up moderate hills. A lot of my driving takes place in the lower Sierra foothills, usually less that 1200 ft, and the car seems reluctant to climb even small grades, at one point, even bucking a bit. The dealer told me I was lucky I had a 6 cylinder. and that Subarus didn't like hills. Structurally, it is made with a kind of depression in the lower part of each front door. A number of people have pointed out to me that I have been "hit." Looked that way to me too, before I realized that the car was that way on both sides.

Favorite Features

Like the dashboard and interior. Like its overall dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Rev up its' hill climbing ability, and get rid of the depressions in the door.

I LOVE THIS CAR, best one I have ever had
By Patterson

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I never knew what it was like to LOVE a car until I got my wagon. I will probably never own another type of car but a Subaru Outback. It is the perfect size for about ANYTHING. It is reliable, is great for short or long trips. The gas mileage is good even with the rising costs. This is coming from someone that drives an hour each way to work everyday. So I spend TONS of time in my wagon.

Favorite Features

The flexibility of the design and the comfort. I can use it for hauling kayaks, but also tone it down and use it for work. And for my hour commute to work, my back never hurts.

Suggested Improvements

A HYBRID! :)

Best car I ever owned in 50 years
By panda

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Solid road car. Great engine, quiet, very good handling, brakes and steering wheel response. Great road shock absorption. Transmission very smooth. The car is tight at the shoulders and could be a little wider. The steering wheel needs to be adjusted higher to clear my knees.

Favorite Features

Six cylinder engine performance at highway speed is terrific. Solid road feel is very good and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel needs greater upward travel to clear knees. Wider seats and seating area (1" each seat; my wife and I are 6' tall). Better radio reception/speakers. Needed to have both front door insulation replaced due to loud wind noise from windows.