2003 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Good handling but slow
By PH on 07/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The 4 cylinder is slow, but once you get it up to speed, it really does handle like an Audi. Hitting gravel or sand, the AWD can feel a bit wiggly at first - a bit awkward in emergency handling. A bit cramped in the front; my Civic has more leg and headroom. Beware of service at Santa Monica Subaru. I had to fix an air filter problem they caused; left the clamp loose. Why put in a filter if you're going to let dirt into the intake manifold? Subaru Customer Relations is not on top of things either.

yummy black beans
By black bean on 07/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love it. Sticks to the road in bad weather like flies on dung. Very solid ride but smooooooth. Loves to play in the snow. Transmission seems a bit on the slow side. It feels powerful but accelerates like the manual 4 cylinder models. Fuel economy is excellent considering it's a "SUV". Starter is a little hoaky in really cold weather.

VDC wagon - underestimated sleeper
By willoc on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm going on two months with the car and enjoying every drive. McIntosh audio is much better than the Bose system I had in my previous Infiniti. Soundproofing is excellent, this car has TRACTION you can't even break the tires loose on full throttle and it accelerates pretty well considering its weight (3800+ lbs). Has a very solid, safe feel. If you are getting out of an SUV like I did, you will find this car every bit as capable as an SUV yet handles like a car and I just got 26 mpg on a road trip. awesome !!

LL Bean Luxury for Beer Budgets
By Michael K on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great car, this is our second Subaru (my car is the WRX). We compared the other SUW's in this class and the Subaru had all the features of the Volvo, Audi All Road, Passat Wagon, at much less of a price. Plus the inclusion of one year of ONstar, free general maintenence for three years, and the Subaru safety record, this car is a steal. It rocks in the Northeast

Great car
By OVID HURD on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a LLBean for $27100 from Stevens Creek Subaru (San Jose, CA). After driving the car for about 1000 miles, I can say there is nothing comparable in this price range. The car feels rock solid, has a very smooth Lexus-like drive, first class suspension, excellent visibility, a lot of cargo space. The sound system is very good. However, the car has 3 major inconveniences: 1) the seats do not offer enough leg support, (the lumbar support is great.) 2) Wind noise coming from the roof rails at higher speeds. 3)the engine is powerful, but the slow transmission, makes it less responsive, it will not let you drive the car as an Acura TL-type S or a BMW.

I LOVED my Outback!!!!
By Kt on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my Outback so much. I bought it even though it broke the bank, but it had all the features I could ever want on it. I drove this car in 18" of snow and did not get stuck AT ALL!!!!

Love the new car smell!
By squid1975 on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great new car. We test drove all the AWD vehicles we could find under $22k. The Subaru was the best. We got a great deal, too. It was the loss leader, so keep your eyes open and you can find one under $19k. Ground clearance and traction are both pretty good. Gas mileage is better than expected for an AWD. HP is fine; just remember you're driving a wagon.

good suv alternative
By adhong on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

handles great thanks to awd...does everything you would need an suv for with more comfort. ive had mine for about 4 months, and ive been really happy with it so far. service and sales have been great.

A Fantasic Car
By alinki on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has everything . It is one fine auto.

grrrreat
By owen on 05/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this wagon,every thing about it is great.Quick and responsive,quiet and comfortable with a wonderful sound system to boot.Plenty of cargo room for almost everything you may have to carry including the dog.I would reccomend it to anyone