2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Greatest AWD SW That I Have Ever Driven!
By charlesn12 on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

One thing about the Subaru Outback is the fact you do get what you pay for. Drives like a sports car, handles like a sports car, and the AWD is tops in its field.

An appealing package
By bgabel1260 on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Audio System (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car feels like a lower-cost Eurowagon. The boxer engine produces a nice amount of low-end torque, sounds great and the shifter has a nice mechanical feel. Despite the raised suspension the Outback is quite fun to drive and handles surprisingly well, though it exhibits some body roll. The ride is comfy on regular pavement but can be really bouncy on torn-up roads. The AWD system is completely transparent to the driver. The cabin is nicely finished though unexceptional. Seats are very comfortable and shod in nice cloth material. The premium audio system can play very loud and clear, a nice touch. Cargo room is plentiful and easy to access.

great vehicle for the money, fun driving
By cash register on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has a very tight feel and is fun to drive, especially around curves where other similarly priced vehicles don't hug the road. It performs great at high speeds and changing lanes at high speeds is a breeze.

Best Subaru Yet
By Fastmover on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Subaru Outback. This car is built so well, no problems, always reliable. I love the handling, the feel of the steering, great brakes, wonderful amenities. I highly recommend this car. This car is refined enough to take to the city for the latest opera, yet tough enough to cross steams and go where I really waant to take it.

Love My Subaru
By SCB on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We just traded in our Dodge MiniVan for the Subaru Outback. We have two children and I did not think we needed another van but I wanted to have room and we take car trips often so comfort was one of my big factors. We have not taken a car trip with it yet, but I know we will not have a problem. I also wanted the AWD and of course the bigger engine. I have always heard great things about the outback and that it had all the safety features to make you feel good with having small children in it. The child seat anchors are a plus.

My 3rd Subaru, with more to come!
By urabus on 08/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm more into function, than form. This car is the best I've owned. AWD is great ALL the time, not just in snow. Safety rating is comparable to Volvo, for thousands less. My wife drives our '96 O/B with 130k...still as good as it was when we bought it 6 years ago. I can't imagine driving anything else.

New H6 Wagon Model
By tigerspy on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

ItÂ’s about time Subaru came out with a base model Outback with the H6 engine! This car is a mid year model for 2003 and is basically a base model with the H6 engine, auto climate control, auto dimming mirror and a few extra items that don't come standard on the base model. The H6 engine is extremely smooth and quiet. It's mated with a 4-speed which has rather wide and tall gearing, but IMHO acceleration still remains smooth and quick. Subaru has priced this model very reasonably (thousands less than the LL Bean or VDC models and only a few hundred bucks more than the Limited model).

No Audi, but the price is right
By wepperson on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a very good car, but hardly "Lexus-like". For one thing, the comparable Lexus is the ES300, which is awful for torque oversteer. But the ride comfort and quietness of the Outback don't approach the Lexus, nor my old A4 Quattro. And the handling has always been disappointing--yeah, I know it's a "sport utility sedan" and not set up for sport touring sedan handling like the A4, but I wish it was.

Dashboard readout-washout
By HSP on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Fine long distance traveling car. Complaint #1. LCD information (mileage, trip odometer time, temp. and radio station) completely washed out on sunny days. Impossible to read. #2 what is the button located on top of stering wheel for lights supposed be used for? How does it differ from light stalk control? #3 Need louder turn signal indicator. #4 emergency brake light should be easier to see. In general, a fine riding car with minor quirks.

Great Car
By colorado_subie on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded up to the '03 LL Bean after owning a Toyota 4Runner for 8 years. It goes everywhere my old car went except very rough roads. You get a lot of car for the $ and the cost of ownership is WAY less than a clunky SUV - insurance and gas both cost a lot less! Very well designed car inside and out.