Used 2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

An honest car
By walkman

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a totally honest car, anything essential is generously equipped in the base modal. Those not found, they are bells and whistles. The roof rail has 4 bars (most others just have 2 bars, you will know the difference when you carry a bag or mattress on top). My wife feels fully confident and safe in it. Very stable on all kinds of road, no matter in snow, sleet, icy or wet. We enjoyed engine's humming sound on the high way when passing big trucks with speed well over 70mph. Thoughtful console design,leaving ample space for all the odds and ends. Downside is battery leak in the 3rd year. In its 5th year there is some wind noise developing at driver side.

Favorite Features

Unblocked rear view with large side mirrors and rear window (I believe getting a clear back view is crucial to safety). Spacious trunk, easily hold 2 bicycles. Heated mirror, heated seat. Windshield wiper deicer. Nice wood-like interior trim. Even the base model's stereo is decent.

Suggested Improvements

No side/head airbag. Slow acceleration, especially when climbing slopes. Make the button for heating mirror auto reset to non-heat mode after engine stops. So is the fog light button. The button for real window heater works this way.

Another good Subaru
By Chuck

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am generally happy with this car. It gives me the cargo capacity that I need and is also useful as a passenger car. My car is a 4-cylinder and it seems a little weak on acceleration and going up hills. This can be particularly annoying when trying to merge onto the highway. Probably the 6-cylinder engine is best on this vehicle.

Favorite Features

One thing that I liked about this car was that it came with so many standard features. I didn't feel the need to add accessories. Cruise control, a/c, moonroof (2 of them) were standard.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system does not generate enough power to power a bunch of accessories at the same time. When I have the heater, headlights and defroster on, the wipers start to slow down if I am idling. This was a problem in 2 other Subarus I had too.

Belongs in the junkyard!!!
By eva

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife was talked into this car when she bought it. We wanted a safe and affordable wagon, but that doesn't mean subaru is a great car either!!! The exterior is disgusting, and wind noise is terrible. I can barely hear people talking! It accelerates like a donkey. Don't buy this car.

Favorite Features

cheap price and safety

Suggested Improvements

quiet interior,better looks,and better acceleration

Lives up its reputation
By TP

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very pleased with my Outback LL Bean H6 Wagon. Although it produces annoying wind noise (apparently a Subaru trait), and can use a five speed auto transmission to move it up hills easier, the H6 is very smooth and moves well on the highway. I find it enjoyable and fun to drive. It handles well, and I like the ride. The posi rear hinders the performance in snow as compared to non-posi Subarus, but you still feel secure. My brother's had 7 Subarus and talked me into buying this one. I'm glad he did. It was between this and the 4Motion VW Passat Wagon, but after talking to former and current VW owners, and reading that the VW's reliability reviews were horrific, it was an easy decision.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, smooth handling, silky ride, 6 CD changer, solid ride and feel.

Suggested Improvements

Lose the posi rear-end. Give the windows a frame to limit wind noise. Provide better quality leather seats, these are rather thin. Add a trip computer. Make it easier to remove and install the roof rack cross members. Add stereo controls to the steering wheel. Allow the rear seats to fold down flat

Made for Minnesota
By car lover

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have test driven this car many times and when I finally moved north I bought a certified used one. I don't drive off road, so I just love this car so much that I'm going to buy a new one, the Legacy Wagon which is set up a little more for street driving. I used to have a Mercedes C230 Sport, and this car drives just like that. Can't wait for the new one, but at 43,000 miles, heated seats, and all the comforts I need, I can wait happily for a fair price before making the change. Kind of a cargo hauling-sports car- family-suv and more all purpose comfort car without the SUV pickup truck mileage. I get 25- 29mpg. I'll miss it, but not much has changed with the new ones.

Favorite Features

Seats, AWD, roominess, handling,