2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
AQ's LL Bean Outback Wagon
By A Quan on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my LLBean Outback Wagon for almost a year. I recently drove round trip from San Francisco to San Diego and was extremely pleased with the way the car handled and performed. It is a comfortable and safe car to drive on long trips, great visibility, good gas mileage, great on steep hills and curves, and very forgiving around sharp turns. I'm very pleased with the car.

Very reliable!
By tdh2112 on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for a bit over a year with no problems. They say that AWD handling is sluggish. Not with this car, it handles great and has a pretty good turning radius. The base engine has plenty of get-up- and-go for me, and my previous car was a 3.1L V6. Gas mileage could be better, but with AWD, I'm not in the least surprised.

My 6th Subaru
By davcoz on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have been so impressed with the reliability and longevity of Subaru vehicles that this 2003 Outback Wagon is my sixth. The total owned by my family has now reached fourteen. I will always own a Subaru! The 2003 Outback is the best Subaru I have owned. The many new features as compared to my 1996 Outback has made this car an excellent value.

Reliabiity, Quality, Value, and AWD
By smallblock on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car because of it's value. We knew it would be used in the snow and rain in the winter months and we were looking for a car that was AWD or 4 wheel drive, but it also had to be reliable. However, we didn't need or want a full SUV with a high price tag, insurance, and gasoline bills. We also wanted the ride of a car and not a truck. Moreover, our garage is built for three cars, not one car and an SUV. The Subaru just seemed to fit all of our needs from the weekly trips to COSTCO, to the weekends in Lake Tahoe we are extremely pleased with the Subaru and plan to keep it at least another 15 years.

Montana
By valken on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great handling, good ride. I like everything about it except that it seems it sometimes takes too long to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear.

yo yo
By katie subaru on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

great car!! I love how the car ahndles itself. It has wonderul shocks.

2003 Subaru Outback Limited Manual
By Joey Sarducci on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car - but don't get the manual or try it out for a while first around town. The accelerator has a dead zone at low rpms making it a terrible car to try and drive at slower speeds where you are slowing and sppeding up...very jerky. Drivers side window has bad wind noise - 2 trips to dealer and still terrible. can be fixed by quickly tapping the window down (~1/8 inch)

Good Balance
By cb85 on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

H6-3.0 sedan is a nice balance between AWD utility, and 'near' luxury features. Smooth quiet ride, decent performance, rock-solid Subaru reliability, nice features like heated leather and sunroof, and most importantly, AWD for mid 20K is hard to beat.

Great Car
By J. Kenney on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have had the car for about a year now, and other than gas, the only expenses have been for the regular oil changes. Incredibly reliable.

woo-woo my subaru!
By thegreatswamp on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

this is a great car to drive,,, really fast (85 mph without any noises, etc),handles great and 25 mpg. i haven't gotten that in 8 years - traded in a 96 blazer. lots of room too. i can't wait for the snow to start falling. lots of tie-downs in the rear; that's a nice feature.