Used 2003 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

High mileage, still runs like new
By Snow shredder

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

No major mechanical problems. Routine stuff like brake calipers and pads but nothing major. Still is rock solid, lots of power (V6), great in the snow, slush and rain and fun to drive. Presently have goodyear assurance tripletred tires and recommend them on this car. All in all, still love the car.

All wheel drive with ESC, wood steering wheel, it just looks good.

Siding on the doors is kind of strange,looks a bit like there is a dent, but it is the design

Luv our sube!
By Drifter

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Knock on wood, car has been good to us. 2.5 4-cyl has plenty of pop. I've found a good (ex) Subaru mechanic who has his own shop. I don't need him much. Passenger side CV joint boot let go @ 60,000 miles. You know when it's gone, grease drips on the cat and you can smell it burning. Its adjacent to the exh sys so heat breaks it down over time. My mechanic also says I can look fwd to head gasket leak @ 100k miles. This is because of the Boxer flat design, it stresses the head bolts. All in all, he says the 4 cyl is solid, but the 6 cyl is usually $$ trouble after 100k miles. Wind noise was an issue, common problem, he tweaked the front window corner piece with screw driver.

Rear cargo room, lots of standard features, comfortable heated seats. Heated mirrors. Smooth engine and drive train. Wide wheel base is very stable.

Not well suited to tall people (6'3") especially if back seat is down for cargo. Mileage is OK (avg 24), but no complaint, this is a solid and fairly heavy car.

I love my car
By i can has car

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have only had my Subaru for about 2 months but I have fallen in love with it. I'm only 16 years old, and it isn't exactly the coolest looking car, but it is fun to drive, pretty fast, and the double sunroofs are great. It has been the most reliable car I have ever experienced. The AWD has saved me a few times. But I mostly use it to go around turns way too fast.

My favorite features are the V6 engine, the double sunroofs, and the back seat folds out into a bed.

The only improvement would be the gas mileage

Can't You Hear Me Knocking..
By USMercury

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First thing I noticed was the knocking of the engine, which they say is typical due to engine design. The knocking was unbearable, which they ultimately fixed. Knocking started to come back, but I just sold it, so it will be taken care of next by someone other than me. As with most reviews, lots of wind noise. The wind noise is to the point where you have to turn the radio up. I went from a 6 cyl to this 4 cyl to save on gas, but to tell you the truth, it got awful gas mileage. Came with a broken 6 CD changer. Minimal acceleration in this vehicle. Started making another noise, like a rattle or shaking sound. But, itís gone, so fortunately not my problem now.

Lots of room. With seats down, this wagon has the room of a typical SUV. Powered and heated seats, a nice bonus. Interior wood finish had a nice look.

Fix wind noise. Add some more power outlets for cell phone, mp3 player, etc.

Would not by another Subaru
By G Frank

2003 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Negatives:The head gasket went at 73,000, just past the warranty. I went online and there were 450 complaints on one website about the head gaskets on Subarus, yet never a factory recall. At 75,000, a fuel injector had to be replaced. Mileage on car is lousy -- as low as 19 mpg in town. Car leans a lot on turns and dealers said that is characteristic of the car. Turning radius is poor and is therefore dangerous when making a u-turn.

Very good in snow. Very quiet ride. Good body integrity.

Make a hybric model. Do something to improve m.p.g. Make a car that is really reliable, and when something is defective (like years of faulty head gaskets), issue a factory recall.