Used 2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Great vehicle
By JZ on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used for my wife in July 2003 w/ 11k miles. We've put 13k miles on the car in 9 months and have nothing but good things to say about the vehicle. AWD and Cold Weather Package was a God send during a rough winter in NJ. AWD is fantastic in the snow - no indication of the car slipping in acceleration in deep snow. Great for my wife who isn't real comfortable driving in inclement weather. No complaints from her now! A great mix of car comform and SUV characteristics with a youthful look and feel.

My first Subaru
By Bob R. on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Outback in December 2003 and have just topped 5,000 miles. Acceleration is so-so, probably hurt by the AWD. My keyfob, for whatever reasons, does not unlock my doors in certain parking lots, but this is rare. Learn how to manually disable alarm. On the positive side, car is fun to drive, engine is quiet, car turns and handles well, automatic shifts smoothly, ABS braking is good, no mechanical problems and cargo room is excellent. My gas mileage has been similar to EPA numbers.

Outback 03
By jball3100 on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Doesn't get the milege that was expeted. Said 25 gets 20 city.

AQ's LL Bean Outback Wagon
By A Quan on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my LLBean Outback Wagon for almost a year. I recently drove round trip from San Francisco to San Diego and was extremely pleased with the way the car handled and performed. It is a comfortable and safe car to drive on long trips, great visibility, good gas mileage, great on steep hills and curves, and very forgiving around sharp turns. I'm very pleased with the car.

Very reliable!
By tdh2112 on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for a bit over a year with no problems. They say that AWD handling is sluggish. Not with this car, it handles great and has a pretty good turning radius. The base engine has plenty of get-up- and-go for me, and my previous car was a 3.1L V6. Gas mileage could be better, but with AWD, I'm not in the least surprised.

My 6th Subaru
By davcoz on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have been so impressed with the reliability and longevity of Subaru vehicles that this 2003 Outback Wagon is my sixth. The total owned by my family has now reached fourteen. I will always own a Subaru! The 2003 Outback is the best Subaru I have owned. The many new features as compared to my 1996 Outback has made this car an excellent value.

Reliabiity, Quality, Value, and AWD
By smallblock on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car because of it's value. We knew it would be used in the snow and rain in the winter months and we were looking for a car that was AWD or 4 wheel drive, but it also had to be reliable. However, we didn't need or want a full SUV with a high price tag, insurance, and gasoline bills. We also wanted the ride of a car and not a truck. Moreover, our garage is built for three cars, not one car and an SUV. The Subaru just seemed to fit all of our needs from the weekly trips to COSTCO, to the weekends in Lake Tahoe we are extremely pleased with the Subaru and plan to keep it at least another 15 years.

yo yo
By katie subaru on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

great car!! I love how the car ahndles itself. It has wonderul shocks.

Montana
By valken on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great handling, good ride. I like everything about it except that it seems it sometimes takes too long to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear.

2003 Subaru Outback Limited Manual
By Joey Sarducci on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car - but don't get the manual or try it out for a while first around town. The accelerator has a dead zone at low rpms making it a terrible car to try and drive at slower speeds where you are slowing and sppeding up...very jerky. Drivers side window has bad wind noise - 2 trips to dealer and still terrible. can be fixed by quickly tapping the window down (~1/8 inch)