2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
SOLID PERFORMANCE
By RSP on 02/20/05 15:36 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After two years, no problems. Runs great through the snow and bad weather.

OUTBACK
By DDXER on 02/05/05 19:51 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After two years, no problems. It is the best "snow" car I have ever driven. Tracks solid in all weather conditions. Window and mirros defoggers make driving in bad weather a breeze.

One versatile vehicle
By ToughCar on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Outback '03 in Nov '02. We needed a good AWD for tough winters in northern NJ and boy does the Outback handle winter! Reliability has been spotless so far - odo 23K. Mix driving averages us about 23 MPG. We were considering an SUV but are happy we got the Subaru instead. It handles very well in clear and inclement weather. Comfortable on long rides as well - took it down to NC and upto NH. We love this car and plan on keeping it for a long time. If you're looking for the most value for your money, I doubt there's anything better out there.

Manual Transmission Not the Best
By lancer on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very pleased with ride quality, interior, and comfort with a long drive. Biggest annoyance was with the manual transmission. Subaru has rigged the transmission to abruptly cut off when the gas pedal is released even at moderate cruising speeds. I took this to the dealer and the service rep commented that he had seen several complaints with this. It is something you can learn to live with, but it can be a nuisance especially if stuck in traffic.

Great Vehicle!
By gosubaru on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 2002 Honda CRV for a 2003 Outback Wagon. I love the Outback, we now own two of them (2001 and 2003). The CRV handled horribly, was loud, had worse gas mileage and had the most uncomfortable driver seat I have ever experienced. The Subaru handles like a sports car compared to the CRV, and is much more comfortable.

Excellent Sports Wagon
By cards on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car also offers a great performance even with the base, 2.5 L engine. The performance can be further improved by installing the K & N high- flow air filter instead of the factory one. I found that the K&N filter significantly improves the low-end torque. I also noticed improved a/t performance (smoother operation), but not the fuel efficiency. The latter might be due to impressive 23/30mpg (city/highway) numbers, which I already had registered right after my Outback passed the 3K miles mark. After 15K miles, this car still offers problem-free (knocking on a wood), very comfortable, and quite ride.

Great vehicle
By JZ on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used for my wife in July 2003 w/ 11k miles. We've put 13k miles on the car in 9 months and have nothing but good things to say about the vehicle. AWD and Cold Weather Package was a God send during a rough winter in NJ. AWD is fantastic in the snow - no indication of the car slipping in acceleration in deep snow. Great for my wife who isn't real comfortable driving in inclement weather. No complaints from her now! A great mix of car comform and SUV characteristics with a youthful look and feel.

Outback 03
By jball3100 on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Doesn't get the milege that was expeted. Said 25 gets 20 city.

My first Subaru
By Bob R. on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Outback in December 2003 and have just topped 5,000 miles. Acceleration is so-so, probably hurt by the AWD. My keyfob, for whatever reasons, does not unlock my doors in certain parking lots, but this is rare. Learn how to manually disable alarm. On the positive side, car is fun to drive, engine is quiet, car turns and handles well, automatic shifts smoothly, ABS braking is good, no mechanical problems and cargo room is excellent. My gas mileage has been similar to EPA numbers.

Great all climate car
By A Flyer on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 5th Subaru and it is driven 60 miles round trip everyday and we use it to visit our daughters in Westchester and Fairfax counties every 3 to four weeks. This H6 is by far the best Subaru we've owned. The ride is very good, stable, responsive on the expressway and most of all reliable. An added plus is that it looks great. The car earned our confidence. Living in Rochester NY, we do get a lot of inclement weather; ice, snow, sleet, wind, etc. When that happens the Saab 9-5 stays in the garage and the Subaru becomes our workhorse. Can't say enought good things about the car.