Used 2003 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Reliabiity, Quality, Value, and AWD
By smallblock

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car because of it's value. We knew it would be used in the snow and rain in the winter months and we were looking for a car that was AWD or 4 wheel drive, but it also had to be reliable. However, we didn't need or want a full SUV with a high price tag, insurance, and gasoline bills. We also wanted the ride of a car and not a truck. Moreover, our garage is built for three cars, not one car and an SUV. The Subaru just seemed to fit all of our needs from the weekly trips to COSTCO, to the weekends in Lake Tahoe we are extremely pleased with the Subaru and plan to keep it at least another 15 years.

My wife would say the heated seats. We only work two miles from our home and the car barely has a chance to warm up in the winter on the the short drive. So the seats keep her warm on such a short drive.

More comfortable seats! We have had the car for just over a year and I still complain about the seat comfort.

yo yo
By katie subaru

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

great car!! I love how the car ahndles itself. It has wonderul shocks.

all wheel drive

better comfort

Good handling but slow
By PH

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The 4 cylinder is slow, but once you get it up to speed, it really does handle like an Audi. Hitting gravel or sand, the AWD can feel a bit wiggly at first - a bit awkward in emergency handling. A bit cramped in the front; my Civic has more leg and headroom. Beware of service at Santa Monica Subaru. I had to fix an air filter problem they caused; left the clamp loose. Why put in a filter if you're going to let dirt into the intake manifold? Subaru Customer Relations is not on top of things either.

In comparison to SUVs, I'd say the handling is great and the fuel economy is quite good. Just for 5'11" and taller, it is quite cramped.

Improve with higher interval service components and products. If you have to spend $400 for fluid, brake, oil checks and an air filter debacle at Santa Monica Subaru often, something is wrong.

Love the new car smell!
By squid1975

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great new car. We test drove all the AWD vehicles we could find under $22k. The Subaru was the best. We got a great deal, too. It was the loss leader, so keep your eyes open and you can find one under $19k. Ground clearance and traction are both pretty good. Gas mileage is better than expected for an AWD. HP is fine; just remember you're driving a wagon.

AWD. Anti-lock brakes. 16 inch wheels. Heated seats. Roominess. All under $19k. Great car for the money. Way better than any SUV at the same price.

Wish they'd change the color of the lower half of the body. I think most of the 2003 models are a light gold color.

Great Dogmobile!!
By Lorvamp

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Subaru. Previously I brought a used 1987 Subaru GL 4WD wagon. I love to go camping and have 2 dogs. It had 104,000 miles on it and when I sold it there was 155,000 miles. The small engine was fine around the city but lacked the oomph to pass on trucks on up-hill 2 lane roads with the a/c going. No major problems. I brought a new Outback because I wanted more power and wanted the AWD to go on some really bad forest service roads. It's great. The car has the power to pass even up-hill. The ride is smooth and comfortable. I am a lead to metal type of driver and get 27 MPG on my camping/flyfishing trips.

The AWD andling is great

Light up the ignition key so you don't fumble in the dark. Larger cupholders.

• SUV