2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Made for Minnesota
By car lover on 01/21/07 11:45 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have test driven this car many times and when I finally moved north I bought a certified used one. I don't drive off road, so I just love this car so much that I'm going to buy a new one, the Legacy Wagon which is set up a little more for street driving. I used to have a Mercedes C230 Sport, and this car drives just like that. Can't wait for the new one, but at 43,000 miles, heated seats, and all the comforts I need, I can wait happily for a fair price before making the change. Kind of a cargo hauling-sports car- family-suv and more all purpose comfort car without the SUV pickup truck mileage. I get 25- 29mpg. I'll miss it, but not much has changed with the new ones.

overall great vehicle
By Light on 11/14/06 10:28 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Subaru has proven again to be a terrific car in all the most important levels. Interior design is still in the works (this being our second Outback over the last six years). The driving safety and ease we rate the highest. This car has prevented accidents and is a great bad weather car. We take it off road and it is amazing. It is easy to maintain and has been totally reliable. We love the looks and feel of our Legacy Outback. We will remain loyal Subaru owners. The driver's and forward passenger windows are noisy(wind type noise), with was the case with our first Subaru also. They maybe able to be adjusted. Other than that, we are totally and utterly happy with this car

Like my Outback
By J. Coulter on 07/21/06 10:44 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been really pleased with my Outback in general. The only problem I have had with driving it is going up moderate hills. A lot of my driving takes place in the lower Sierra foothills, usually less that 1200 ft, and the car seems reluctant to climb even small grades, at one point, even bucking a bit. The dealer told me I was lucky I had a 6 cylinder. and that Subarus didn't like hills. Structurally, it is made with a kind of depression in the lower part of each front door. A number of people have pointed out to me that I have been "hit." Looked that way to me too, before I realized that the car was that way on both sides.

I LOVE THIS CAR, best one I have ever had
By Patterson on 07/13/06 15:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I never knew what it was like to LOVE a car until I got my wagon. I will probably never own another type of car but a Subaru Outback. It is the perfect size for about ANYTHING. It is reliable, is great for short or long trips. The gas mileage is good even with the rising costs. This is coming from someone that drives an hour each way to work everyday. So I spend TONS of time in my wagon.

Best car I ever owned in 50 years
By panda on 03/31/06 21:46 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Solid road car. Great engine, quiet, very good handling, brakes and steering wheel response. Great road shock absorption. Transmission very smooth. The car is tight at the shoulders and could be a little wider. The steering wheel needs to be adjusted higher to clear my knees.

Subaru Stalls
By John Sauer on 11/29/05 13:59 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Almost from the day I took my Subaru home I have had problems. The car has poor and erratic idle, loses power while driving and stalls. Subaru (several dealerships) has attempted repairs, replacing MANY parts, over the three years I have had this car. Each time the problems resurface. Low idle, power loss, stalling at stops. I am past my 36,000 warranty and Subaru has committed to honor the warranty for existing problems, but that is little consolation as I have to continue living with a $32,000 car that I do not trust. On more than one occasion I was almost stranded on long trips with wife and baby.

Ultimate Utility Car
By Dave on 08/15/05 21:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Outback, the first was a 2001 but in the basic package. The VDC edition is simply an extremely well designed and built car. Put an aggressive tire on it and you can get any where you need to go in any weather. Handling is surprisingly sport like and has enough power to make driving fun, we trailer an atv with it. Decked out with all the bells and whistles.

Glad 2 B back in a Roo!
By linuxlooNH on 08/08/05 13:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After four years with a Saturn LW2/300, I decided to get back to Subaru for a variety of reasons. The biggest one is the reliability of the car. I had a '92 Loyale that I couldn't kill, but traded in for the Saturn. After various "issues" with that car, I decided to come back to Subaru. I bought the standard Outback Wagon with a 5 speed, my first! and just love it. Here in NH you need a good snow car. The Outback continually impresses my wife and I, not only in the foul weather, but on our short and long trips. Very little stops the car or us. It goes through every where we want to go. It loads up and cruises down the highway well. Being 6 foot 1 inch, I find I have just enough room behind the wheel.

" On Star " Analog To Digital
By 2003 Subaru Outback on 08/06/05 00:35 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Other than the up-coming change in 2 1/2 years for the OnStar system, from analog to digital, the car has been all I have ever expected out of it and more. I have mine serviced every 2,500 miles, and if I find something wrong, I have it repaired while it is still nickel dime, before it reaches quarter half dollar condition.

Love it
By Bean Owner on 04/05/05 20:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wonderful vehicle, great clearance, handling, braking, etc. Sound system with a sub is great, no need to purchase high end replacement speakers. Heats up fast in the cold weather. AWD can't be beat. Gas mileage is more like 20-22 mpg. No way you can get 26 mpg like stated by Subaru. All around a great buy worth every cent. You'd pay 10k more for anything comparable. Love it