Used 2003 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Great vehicle
By JZ

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used for my wife in July 2003 w/ 11k miles. We've put 13k miles on the car in 9 months and have nothing but good things to say about the vehicle. AWD and Cold Weather Package was a God send during a rough winter in NJ. AWD is fantastic in the snow - no indication of the car slipping in acceleration in deep snow. Great for my wife who isn't real comfortable driving in inclement weather. No complaints from her now! A great mix of car comform and SUV characteristics with a youthful look and feel.

AWD, Cold Weather package (heated seats, mirrors and bottom of windshield) ride comfort and quality

better acceleration and gas mileage. Averaging about 24 mpg with mostly highway driving. Some dash buttons (cruise on/off, fog lights) feel cheap and inconsistent with the rest of the vehicle integrity. Some excessive wind noise at highway speeeds.

My first Subaru
By Bob R.

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Outback in December 2003 and have just topped 5,000 miles. Acceleration is so-so, probably hurt by the AWD. My keyfob, for whatever reasons, does not unlock my doors in certain parking lots, but this is rare. Learn how to manually disable alarm. On the positive side, car is fun to drive, engine is quiet, car turns and handles well, automatic shifts smoothly, ABS braking is good, no mechanical problems and cargo room is excellent. My gas mileage has been similar to EPA numbers.

AWD, heated seats, simple to use instrument panel, auto dimming rear view mirror, outside temperature readout and weather band channel.

Give us a turbo option to work with the 2.5L four, similar to the Forester.

Outback 03
By jball3100

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Doesn't get the milege that was expeted. Said 25 gets 20 city.

Very reliable!
By tdh2112

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for a bit over a year with no problems. They say that AWD handling is sluggish. Not with this car, it handles great and has a pretty good turning radius. The base engine has plenty of get-up- and-go for me, and my previous car was a 3.1L V6. Gas mileage could be better, but with AWD, I'm not in the least surprised.

Rear seats fold down easily and quickly, except for having to remove headrests. Plenty of cargo room once they are folded. Comfortable and smooth ride.

One should not have to remove the headrests to fold down the rear seats. There could be more storage under the cargo floor just by using a thinner material for removable tray.

My 6th Subaru
By davcoz

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have been so impressed with the reliability and longevity of Subaru vehicles that this 2003 Outback Wagon is my sixth. The total owned by my family has now reached fourteen. I will always own a Subaru! The 2003 Outback is the best Subaru I have owned. The many new features as compared to my 1996 Outback has made this car an excellent value.

AWD, Engine, cold weather performance.

Cannot suggest any. I'm that pleased with the 2003 Outback Wagon.

• SUV