2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
I love my car
By i can has car on 07/02/08 18:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have only had my Subaru for about 2 months but I have fallen in love with it. I'm only 16 years old, and it isn't exactly the coolest looking car, but it is fun to drive, pretty fast, and the double sunroofs are great. It has been the most reliable car I have ever experienced. The AWD has saved me a few times. But I mostly use it to go around turns way too fast.

Can't You Hear Me Knocking..
By USMercury on 06/30/08 07:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First thing I noticed was the knocking of the engine, which they say is typical due to engine design. The knocking was unbearable, which they ultimately fixed. Knocking started to come back, but I just sold it, so it will be taken care of next by someone other than me. As with most reviews, lots of wind noise. The wind noise is to the point where you have to turn the radio up. I went from a 6 cyl to this 4 cyl to save on gas, but to tell you the truth, it got awful gas mileage. Came with a broken 6 CD changer. Minimal acceleration in this vehicle. Started making another noise, like a rattle or shaking sound. But, itÂ’s gone, so fortunately not my problem now.

Would not by another Subaru
By G Frank on 05/28/08 16:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Negatives:The head gasket went at 73,000, just past the warranty. I went online and there were 450 complaints on one website about the head gaskets on Subarus, yet never a factory recall. At 75,000, a fuel injector had to be replaced. Mileage on car is lousy -- as low as 19 mpg in town. Car leans a lot on turns and dealers said that is characteristic of the car. Turning radius is poor and is therefore dangerous when making a u-turn.

bad choice
By walter on 04/26/08 16:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I think it was my fault buying this car, because my wife needed a wagon or something really fast because she needed it for commuting to work. Suvs were out of the question, but now we feel guilty because anything is better than this junk car. Forget about going on vacation because there is TOO MUCH WIND NOISE!!!! Its almost like having a separate stereo system, one for the radio, and one for the noisiness of the car. You won't get stopped because people love the way it looks because it is ugly, especially the '03 model. We are hoping to trade in the Subaru before it depreciates.

More horses, please
By Jake on 04/17/08 16:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For such a heavy car, it is underpowered. However, for such a large vehicle, it drives wonderfully, handling like a sports car around turns with minimal understeer. At 76K miles, my head gaskets began to leak despite the fact that the car was always well cared for. Other than that, no mechanical problems. For 6'+, however, the car is cramped and overall interior design isn't as good as it could be. The stance is great for getting around in the snow or driving over small obstacles. For the price, the car has been great, but look into the H6 engine.

An honest car
By walkman on 03/07/08 13:08 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a totally honest car, anything essential is generously equipped in the base modal. Those not found, they are bells and whistles. The roof rail has 4 bars (most others just have 2 bars, you will know the difference when you carry a bag or mattress on top). My wife feels fully confident and safe in it. Very stable on all kinds of road, no matter in snow, sleet, icy or wet. We enjoyed engine's humming sound on the high way when passing big trucks with speed well over 70mph. Thoughtful console design,leaving ample space for all the odds and ends. Downside is battery leak in the 3rd year. In its 5th year there is some wind noise developing at driver side.

My wife's "tank" which she loves
By Firefighterjake on 11/06/07 08:05 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife is a nurse who has to drive 35 miles each way to and from work in all kinds of weather. Before she used a Nissan 4WD pick-up, which worked well, but it seemed a bit top heavy to her in the snow and was severely under-powered. She absolutely loves this Subaru as she says it powers through everything Mother Nature throws our way here in Maine. In fact she says it's a lot like driving a tank as it goes through anything with no issues. We've had no problems and honestly feel the 4-cylinders provide plenty of giddy-up and go for us.

Another good Subaru
By Chuck on 09/19/07 09:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am generally happy with this car. It gives me the cargo capacity that I need and is also useful as a passenger car. My car is a 4-cylinder and it seems a little weak on acceleration and going up hills. This can be particularly annoying when trying to merge onto the highway. Probably the 6-cylinder engine is best on this vehicle.

Belongs in the junkyard!!!
By eva on 07/31/07 04:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife was talked into this car when she bought it. We wanted a safe and affordable wagon, but that doesn't mean subaru is a great car either!!! The exterior is disgusting, and wind noise is terrible. I can barely hear people talking! It accelerates like a donkey. Don't buy this car.

Lives up its reputation
By TP on 02/01/07 19:29 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very pleased with my Outback LL Bean H6 Wagon. Although it produces annoying wind noise (apparently a Subaru trait), and can use a five speed auto transmission to move it up hills easier, the H6 is very smooth and moves well on the highway. I find it enjoyable and fun to drive. It handles well, and I like the ride. The posi rear hinders the performance in snow as compared to non-posi Subarus, but you still feel secure. My brother's had 7 Subarus and talked me into buying this one. I'm glad he did. It was between this and the 4Motion VW Passat Wagon, but after talking to former and current VW owners, and reading that the VW's reliability reviews were horrific, it was an easy decision.