Used 2003 Subaru Outback Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Glad 2 B back in a Roo!
By linuxlooNH

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After four years with a Saturn LW2/300, I decided to get back to Subaru for a variety of reasons. The biggest one is the reliability of the car. I had a '92 Loyale that I couldn't kill, but traded in for the Saturn. After various "issues" with that car, I decided to come back to Subaru. I bought the standard Outback Wagon with a 5 speed, my first! and just love it. Here in NH you need a good snow car. The Outback continually impresses my wife and I, not only in the foul weather, but on our short and long trips. Very little stops the car or us. It goes through every where we want to go. It loads up and cruises down the highway well. Being 6 foot 1 inch, I find I have just enough room behind the wheel.

All wheel drive, comfort, can pack a ton of stuff and head to ME at 75 mph. Heated seat, mirrors, and wiper rest. The grunt of the engine, especially with a K&N air filter in it. I surprise people when I gain on them on uphills :). Very good gas mileage with a big right foot; 25 - 27 around town and highway.

A little more pep from the engine, though this has been taken care of with the 05's. Even the non-turbo Outback moves with an automatic, but it's more fun to shift for yourself. Poor headlights on the 03; if it wasn't for the foglights, it would be hard to drive in the dark / inclement weather.

One versatile vehicle
By ToughCar

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Outback '03 in Nov '02. We needed a good AWD for tough winters in northern NJ and boy does the Outback handle winter! Reliability has been spotless so far - odo 23K. Mix driving averages us about 23 MPG. We were considering an SUV but are happy we got the Subaru instead. It handles very well in clear and inclement weather. Comfortable on long rides as well - took it down to NC and upto NH. We love this car and plan on keeping it for a long time. If you're looking for the most value for your money, I doubt there's anything better out there.

Heated seats, mirrors, windshield deicer, outside temp, weather band, ABS, 6 CD changer, handling, reliability, comfort.

Improve mileage, slight wind noise at hwy speeds, entry/exit into driver's seat could be improved a bit. Improve mid-range torque.

Manual Transmission Not the Best
By lancer

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very pleased with ride quality, interior, and comfort with a long drive. Biggest annoyance was with the manual transmission. Subaru has rigged the transmission to abruptly cut off when the gas pedal is released even at moderate cruising speeds. I took this to the dealer and the service rep commented that he had seen several complaints with this. It is something you can learn to live with, but it can be a nuisance especially if stuck in traffic.

Roomy, suprisingly sporty, nice cruise control and quiet for long trips.

Subaru needs to fix their manual transmission.

Great Vehicle!
By gosubaru

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 2002 Honda CRV for a 2003 Outback Wagon. I love the Outback, we now own two of them (2001 and 2003). The CRV handled horribly, was loud, had worse gas mileage and had the most uncomfortable driver seat I have ever experienced. The Subaru handles like a sports car compared to the CRV, and is much more comfortable.

Power seats, handling

More power/pickup.

Excellent Sports Wagon
By cards

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car also offers a great performance even with the base, 2.5 L engine. The performance can be further improved by installing the K & N high- flow air filter instead of the factory one. I found that the K&N filter significantly improves the low-end torque. I also noticed improved a/t performance (smoother operation), but not the fuel efficiency. The latter might be due to impressive 23/30mpg (city/highway) numbers, which I already had registered right after my Outback passed the 3K miles mark. After 15K miles, this car still offers problem-free (knocking on a wood), very comfortable, and quite ride.

Performance, ride quaility, reliability