2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
yo yo
By katie subaru on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

great car!! I love how the car ahndles itself. It has wonderul shocks.

Good handling but slow
By PH on 07/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The 4 cylinder is slow, but once you get it up to speed, it really does handle like an Audi. Hitting gravel or sand, the AWD can feel a bit wiggly at first - a bit awkward in emergency handling. A bit cramped in the front; my Civic has more leg and headroom. Beware of service at Santa Monica Subaru. I had to fix an air filter problem they caused; left the clamp loose. Why put in a filter if you're going to let dirt into the intake manifold? Subaru Customer Relations is not on top of things either.

Love the new car smell!
By squid1975 on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great new car. We test drove all the AWD vehicles we could find under $22k. The Subaru was the best. We got a great deal, too. It was the loss leader, so keep your eyes open and you can find one under $19k. Ground clearance and traction are both pretty good. Gas mileage is better than expected for an AWD. HP is fine; just remember you're driving a wagon.

Great Dogmobile!!
By Lorvamp on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Subaru. Previously I brought a used 1987 Subaru GL 4WD wagon. I love to go camping and have 2 dogs. It had 104,000 miles on it and when I sold it there was 155,000 miles. The small engine was fine around the city but lacked the oomph to pass on trucks on up-hill 2 lane roads with the a/c going. No major problems. I brought a new Outback because I wanted more power and wanted the AWD to go on some really bad forest service roads. It's great. The car has the power to pass even up-hill. The ride is smooth and comfortable. I am a lead to metal type of driver and get 27 MPG on my camping/flyfishing trips.

Highway fuel economy horrendous
By MAG1 on 02/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ater 1000 miles I drove from CO to MO (875 miles). To my dismay I recorded an average of 22 mpg fuel economy on the highway, but the estimated fuel economy by manufacturer was estimated at 28 mpg. I calculated the mpg by averaging 4 fuel stops through Kansas where the roads are flat and straight. I'm an engineer so I looked at all the variables. My tire pressure was perfect, there was a small cross wind (no tail or head wind), I used the recommended fuel, there was no load on the car(two medium sized suitcases & no passengers), cruise control was on, speed was 75 mph, and outside temp was 40 degrees(i.e no air conditioner)

Amazing, but how to define it....
By eldera on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car, it defies clasification by that name though. i love it. and my oh my can it claw into a road.