Used 2003 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

One versatile vehicle
By ToughCar

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Outback '03 in Nov '02. We needed a good AWD for tough winters in northern NJ and boy does the Outback handle winter! Reliability has been spotless so far - odo 23K. Mix driving averages us about 23 MPG. We were considering an SUV but are happy we got the Subaru instead. It handles very well in clear and inclement weather. Comfortable on long rides as well - took it down to NC and upto NH. We love this car and plan on keeping it for a long time. If you're looking for the most value for your money, I doubt there's anything better out there.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, mirrors, windshield deicer, outside temp, weather band, ABS, 6 CD changer, handling, reliability, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Improve mileage, slight wind noise at hwy speeds, entry/exit into driver's seat could be improved a bit. Improve mid-range torque.

Manual Transmission Not the Best
By lancer

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very pleased with ride quality, interior, and comfort with a long drive. Biggest annoyance was with the manual transmission. Subaru has rigged the transmission to abruptly cut off when the gas pedal is released even at moderate cruising speeds. I took this to the dealer and the service rep commented that he had seen several complaints with this. It is something you can learn to live with, but it can be a nuisance especially if stuck in traffic.

Favorite Features

Roomy, suprisingly sporty, nice cruise control and quiet for long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru needs to fix their manual transmission.

Great Vehicle!
By gosubaru

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 2002 Honda CRV for a 2003 Outback Wagon. I love the Outback, we now own two of them (2001 and 2003). The CRV handled horribly, was loud, had worse gas mileage and had the most uncomfortable driver seat I have ever experienced. The Subaru handles like a sports car compared to the CRV, and is much more comfortable.

Favorite Features

Power seats, handling

Suggested Improvements

More power/pickup.

Excellent Sports Wagon
By cards

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car also offers a great performance even with the base, 2.5 L engine. The performance can be further improved by installing the K & N high- flow air filter instead of the factory one. I found that the K&N filter significantly improves the low-end torque. I also noticed improved a/t performance (smoother operation), but not the fuel efficiency. The latter might be due to impressive 23/30mpg (city/highway) numbers, which I already had registered right after my Outback passed the 3K miles mark. After 15K miles, this car still offers problem-free (knocking on a wood), very comfortable, and quite ride.

Favorite Features

Performance, ride quaility, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Sliding back seat

Great vehicle
By JZ

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used for my wife in July 2003 w/ 11k miles. We've put 13k miles on the car in 9 months and have nothing but good things to say about the vehicle. AWD and Cold Weather Package was a God send during a rough winter in NJ. AWD is fantastic in the snow - no indication of the car slipping in acceleration in deep snow. Great for my wife who isn't real comfortable driving in inclement weather. No complaints from her now! A great mix of car comform and SUV characteristics with a youthful look and feel.

Favorite Features

AWD, Cold Weather package (heated seats, mirrors and bottom of windshield) ride comfort and quality

Suggested Improvements

better acceleration and gas mileage. Averaging about 24 mpg with mostly highway driving. Some dash buttons (cruise on/off, fog lights) feel cheap and inconsistent with the rest of the vehicle integrity. Some excessive wind noise at highway speeeds.