Used 2003 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Luv our sube!
By Drifter

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Knock on wood, car has been good to us. 2.5 4-cyl has plenty of pop. I've found a good (ex) Subaru mechanic who has his own shop. I don't need him much. Passenger side CV joint boot let go @ 60,000 miles. You know when it's gone, grease drips on the cat and you can smell it burning. Its adjacent to the exh sys so heat breaks it down over time. My mechanic also says I can look fwd to head gasket leak @ 100k miles. This is because of the Boxer flat design, it stresses the head bolts. All in all, he says the 4 cyl is solid, but the 6 cyl is usually $$ trouble after 100k miles. Wind noise was an issue, common problem, he tweaked the front window corner piece with screw driver.

Rear cargo room, lots of standard features, comfortable heated seats. Heated mirrors. Smooth engine and drive train. Wide wheel base is very stable.

Not well suited to tall people (6'3") especially if back seat is down for cargo. Mileage is OK (avg 24), but no complaint, this is a solid and fairly heavy car.

More horses, please
By Jake

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For such a heavy car, it is underpowered. However, for such a large vehicle, it drives wonderfully, handling like a sports car around turns with minimal understeer. At 76K miles, my head gaskets began to leak despite the fact that the car was always well cared for. Other than that, no mechanical problems. For 6'+, however, the car is cramped and overall interior design isn't as good as it could be. The stance is great for getting around in the snow or driving over small obstacles. For the price, the car has been great, but look into the H6 engine.

AWD, heated seats

Performance, legroom, longevity of essential parts

An honest car
By walkman

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a totally honest car, anything essential is generously equipped in the base modal. Those not found, they are bells and whistles. The roof rail has 4 bars (most others just have 2 bars, you will know the difference when you carry a bag or mattress on top). My wife feels fully confident and safe in it. Very stable on all kinds of road, no matter in snow, sleet, icy or wet. We enjoyed engine's humming sound on the high way when passing big trucks with speed well over 70mph. Thoughtful console design,leaving ample space for all the odds and ends. Downside is battery leak in the 3rd year. In its 5th year there is some wind noise developing at driver side.

Unblocked rear view with large side mirrors and rear window (I believe getting a clear back view is crucial to safety). Spacious trunk, easily hold 2 bicycles. Heated mirror, heated seat. Windshield wiper deicer. Nice wood-like interior trim. Even the base model's stereo is decent.

No side/head airbag. Slow acceleration, especially when climbing slopes. Make the button for heating mirror auto reset to non-heat mode after engine stops. So is the fog light button. The button for real window heater works this way.

Made for Minnesota
By car lover

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have test driven this car many times and when I finally moved north I bought a certified used one. I don't drive off road, so I just love this car so much that I'm going to buy a new one, the Legacy Wagon which is set up a little more for street driving. I used to have a Mercedes C230 Sport, and this car drives just like that. Can't wait for the new one, but at 43,000 miles, heated seats, and all the comforts I need, I can wait happily for a fair price before making the change. Kind of a cargo hauling-sports car- family-suv and more all purpose comfort car without the SUV pickup truck mileage. I get 25- 29mpg. I'll miss it, but not much has changed with the new ones.

Seats, AWD, roominess, handling,

I LOVE THIS CAR, best one I have ever had
By Patterson

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I never knew what it was like to LOVE a car until I got my wagon. I will probably never own another type of car but a Subaru Outback. It is the perfect size for about ANYTHING. It is reliable, is great for short or long trips. The gas mileage is good even with the rising costs. This is coming from someone that drives an hour each way to work everyday. So I spend TONS of time in my wagon.

The flexibility of the design and the comfort. I can use it for hauling kayaks, but also tone it down and use it for work. And for my hour commute to work, my back never hurts.

A HYBRID! :)