2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Love it
By markrover on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very unique design - a car that does not look like any other. I received compliments from strangers about it. It combines that practicality of a station wagon, while still very fun to drive. Very solidly built (a rare attribute today). The bumpers are not simply painted like so many cars are today, so that stratches to it do not show.

Great Dogmobile!!
By Lorvamp on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Subaru. Previously I brought a used 1987 Subaru GL 4WD wagon. I love to go camping and have 2 dogs. It had 104,000 miles on it and when I sold it there was 155,000 miles. The small engine was fine around the city but lacked the oomph to pass on trucks on up-hill 2 lane roads with the a/c going. No major problems. I brought a new Outback because I wanted more power and wanted the AWD to go on some really bad forest service roads. It's great. The car has the power to pass even up-hill. The ride is smooth and comfortable. I am a lead to metal type of driver and get 27 MPG on my camping/flyfishing trips.

2003 outback
By dmaher on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have found the outback to be one of the best cars i have ever purchased. The ride is comfortable, the milage great, and the all-wheel drive just pulled me through a major snowfall. When other cars couldn't stay on the road, the outback not only kept going, but was remarkably stable and gave no hint of losing traction. On my last trip the Outback got 28 mph despite above 70mph driving. I would buy another without hesitation.

What I like About Subarus
By vladkoval on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I like this car because it is fun to drive. It is not that big and it has all wheel drive system.

Super smooth ride
By mikefromny on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Having previously owned a 1997 Outback Limited I was expecting another terrific Subaru in my 2003 LL Bean. Boy were my expectations exceeded by the unbelievable smooth and comfortable ride of my new Subaru.

Highway fuel economy horrendous
By MAG1 on 02/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ater 1000 miles I drove from CO to MO (875 miles). To my dismay I recorded an average of 22 mpg fuel economy on the highway, but the estimated fuel economy by manufacturer was estimated at 28 mpg. I calculated the mpg by averaging 4 fuel stops through Kansas where the roads are flat and straight. I'm an engineer so I looked at all the variables. My tire pressure was perfect, there was a small cross wind (no tail or head wind), I used the recommended fuel, there was no load on the car(two medium sized suitcases & no passengers), cruise control was on, speed was 75 mph, and outside temp was 40 degrees(i.e no air conditioner)

50 hp more & $5k less it'd be the best
By daveB on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

3rd subaru for me and everyone a winner. for solid reliable transport with tons of comfort and convenience features you can't go wrong. I paid $31K for my VDC wgn and happily did so even though it was too much for a subie. still i knew what subarus are all about & i was getting a 6 cyl, VDC, 2 sunroofs and the macintosh stereo plus heated seats etc etc..A Volvo XC/Audi Allroad for way less but now the A4 and Passat wgn are all over it for price hence my title. Turbo this motor and we'd have a world beating winner.

50 hp more & $5k less it'd be the best
By DaveB on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

handling
By lechalet on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

great on wet roads, freeways or snow , mud ,mountain roads

New Guy On the Block
By yahtahey on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am very pleased with my LL Bean Outback. Comfort, Design, and Quality of workmanship. I inspected my new Subaru for 40 minutes when I went to pick it up.I am an aircraft mechanic by trade for 46 years. I found no items on the underside of the car that required repair of any kind. I only found 2 items under the hood when I got home that were minor, and I took care of them myself, as they did not affect warranty.